Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

rocker cover gaskets.

Crustyoldavensis

1cd ftv. 

My rocker gasket keeps leaking in this corner. The factory mastik had lifted so I removed it but I cannot get it to seal for any amount of time. 

Any one had similar issues and sorted it?

IMG_20230105_170420.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Marc,

Have no experience with the Avensis but the best sealing/jointing compound I've ever used is Hymolar Blue. Comes in tubes and is easily applied, cleaned up and removed should you need to start again. Far better than anything else I'd tried and was always my go to compound for gaskets. Not sure it's still the case but if memory serves me correctly this used to tooted as the only gasket sealant used by Rolls Royce. You should be able to get it at Halfords.

• Like 1

I never seem to be able to find hylomar, partly as I can never remember what it is called. Thank you for telling me, I will try to get some.

Had a go with liquid metal, will see how that has worked tomorrow.

• Like 1

Usually my memory that fails me when it comes to names Marc. It's an age thing!

Hope your go with liquid metal does the trick anyway but doesn't that stuff go off almost like iron?

I have torqued everything down before it went off so hopefully will be a good enough seal. It will break off if needed. I have used it before. My crank nose is mostly liquid metal after the harmonic balancer got a bit less harmonic than it should be...

• Haha 2

Permatex is good stuff iirc the ultra black is the high temp and oil resistant one

clean it up the surface with brake clean get rid of the old gunk, new  quality gasket from the likes of Victor Reinz

a dab of sealant in the tight corners - let it skin over

The cam cover may be warped

Victor Reinz - 71-53098-0 (this should be correct)

• Like 1

hi the blue sealing it's not good, wont hold, very easy to take off, you need red heat silicon or the black one(better)

clean good the place close it after 1 day clean everything with carburetor spray and keep ayes on the place to see if it's done right.

• Like 1

I have used both red and black sealant. The red was pointless, the black lasted a month or so.

ok.

from my experience with my old cars, if the black one wont good then i used this thing:

liquid metal glue

you mix 2 together A+B and it will fix/glue everything, in the future if you or someone will want to open it, you'll need a screw + a niffe to do it.

you need to put on both sides on all the surface, then you get hermetic seal.

super strong super, you can fix with that radiators leaking also, actually all the metal parts in the car.

it also the same color of your metal parts so you won't even see it.

liquid metal , holds heat and engine vibrations, everything.

you have many kinds of, for example this one here:

• Like 1

Yeah, i ended up using liquid metal last night. I used the putty as that was what I had.

Hopefully it works.

• Thanks 1

You can buy Toyota FIPG and valve cover gasket from dealership. Check the repair manual. Sometime, there are some specific spot to put a dap of FIPG but usually very small on joint of 2 metal parts. Don't put any FIPG on other sections or will not seal properly. 

FIPG Sealant is one of the reasons Toyota engines rarely leak oil unlike German cars. 

• Like 1

the fact in has failed so many time means it isn't ultra clean and/or the cam cover is warped - with diesel you get oil dilution, meaning oil in the fuel it can rot seals over time - liquid metal is a bit of a bodge imo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

the fact in has failed so many time means it isn't ultra clean and/or the cam cover is warped - with diesel you get oil dilution, meaning oil in the fuel it can rot seals over time - liquid metal is a bit of a bodge imo

My nickname is Bodge...

Don't ever buy a long term personal  vehicle off of me...

• Haha 2

The cable tie express.

Ex London car, 246k miles.

Photo taken on potato 9at

IMG_20230106_162015.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crustyoldavensis said:

The cable tie express.

Ex London car, 246k miles.

Photo taken on potato 9at

IMG_20230106_162015.jpg

is it a 2.0d4d is it with a 1adftv engine great miles on it .by chance did it ever give any other bother. i bought a 2014 one as well just for the same purpose might look like **** and no eye candy puller but as long as i can drive it right into the ground with the least amount i can spend on it is great news to me. my one had 38k on it 2 years ago when i bought it and now its 52 i dont cover many miles tbh either . plus mine has those stupid dpf on it so well im expecting tbh that to give bother as i dont cover much long miles on a journey . sometimes i do but not much .the thing about my one is that when it dose get up to temp and on a long journey i dont even know when it is doing a self dpf clean out as the car sounds the same no smoke out  the back either 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.5de7a3e0b431452b16f7699cc203362e.png

The rocker cover gasket is not reusable and should be replaced when the cover is refitted, sealant is listed as Black FIPG sealant.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

image.thumb.png.5de7a3e0b431452b16f7699cc203362e.png

The rocker cover gasket is not reusable and should be replaced when the cover is refitted, sealant is listed as Black FIPG sealant.

I am on my third rocker gasket. Tried black sealant and it did work for a while.

19 hours ago, 2009joe said:

is it a 2.0d4d is it with a 1adftv engine great miles on it .by chance did it ever give any other bother. i bought a 2014 one as well just for the same purpose might look like **** and no eye candy puller but as long as i can drive it right into the ground with the least amount i can spend on it is great news to me. my one had 38k on it 2 years ago when i bought it and now its 52 i dont cover many miles tbh either . plus mine has those stupid dpf on it so well im expecting tbh that to give bother as i dont cover much long miles on a journey . sometimes i do but not much .the thing about my one is that when it dose get up to temp and on a long journey i dont even know when it is doing a self dpf clean out as the car sounds the same no smoke out  the back either 

1cd ftv.

No dpf.

Yep, absolute work horse. It is a travelling work shop. The thing looks lowered but it is just full of tools including welders, normally has a bag or two of coal, logs, etc.

It has had a new starter, new clutch pipe, EGR, cam belt, water pump, harmonic balancer, front shocks, as well as normal service items.

It does eat front wheel bearings.

I even used it as a dray in East London for a year when working for a micro brewery.

It still gets up to 80mpg with all of that crap in it on long runs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links