Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross: Benefits of AWD?

LodgeMoorLocal

59 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Tony, thanks for that, a bit disappointing, obviously related to the fact that there is no proper diffs and all done electronically ?

Really a soft offroader 😃

You are welcome.
They are indeed a soft roaders. Perhaps that’s why Toyota now offers Prius and Corolla with similar rear motor awd in other markets 👍

• Like 3

TBH, most AWDs have similar problems, esp. part time ones which is what most of them are.

For the kind of off-road scenarios where there will often be zero grip on at least one of the wheels - ice, deep snow, mud etc., something with a diff-lock is pretty much essential. The only AWD system that I've seen do anywhere near as well as 'proper' 4x4s on such terrain is Subaru's.

It's one thing EVs should be better at - It would be trivial to put 4 electric motors, each powerful enough to move the vehicle on its own, on each wheel and have none of the problems you get with diffs, which is the main cause of traction problems on slippery surfaces.

Also I feel the traction system on the Mk4 is very dangerous - Today I had several situations where it kicked in (Suddenly Snow! :biggrin: ) and instead of backing off I kept my foot in and it just flashed the TC light at me a lot and sorted it all out. I didn't think it was possible to spin the front wheels without understeering but it somehow managed it! :laugh:  It's just too damned good and is giving me a false sense of security!!!!!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It is slightly better but not by much. 
The thing with these systems is that they work fine on level ground and when all driving wheels in your case all 4 has a good grip. However when one of the driving wheels loose grip and the extra drive axle on the rear needs to come into help it actually makes the things even worse than an fwd car. In front wheel drive hybrids when one of the wheels loose grip the traction control works very quickly and precisely to stop the wheel without grip and so the car can get unstuck easily. I have tested that myself numerous times . This doesn’t mean that your cars are bad or anything to be worried about. It’s just system limitation. If anyone wants a real deal 4x4 can look at different cars. I personally like fwd hybrids but don’t mind getting an awd especially if it happens like with that guy from rav4 forum who had awd at the price of fwd recently 😂👌

Roller test does not only represent extreme off road conditions, even quite opposite. They just show what happens if any of the driving wheels has no grip. This for example can happen when you try to park on the street front of your house for example if there is a good amount of snow and ice. 

You talk like you’re an expert on these systems but it’s all supposition and subjective.   It isn’t Toyotas first rodeo, they know a bit more than somebody who sits watching YouTube videos.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

You talk like you’re an expert on these systems but it’s all supposition and subjective.   It isn’t Toyotas first rodeo, they know a bit more than somebody who sits watching YouTube videos.   

Well that is your opinion., no problem. I have some knowledge on cars too and rights to share my thoughts on that matter. You like Toyota hybrids awd and ac + auto mode on your hvac, but I don’t, and I don’t see any problems with that. Everyones free to share their experience and any member can make their own opinion about these cars. No argument here. 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Well that is your opinion., no problem. I have some knowledge on cars too and rights to share my thoughts on that matter. You like Toyota hybrids awd and ac + auto mode on your hvac, but I don’t, and I don’t see any problems with that. Everyones free to share their experience and any member can make their own opinion about these cars. No argument here. 👍

My kids used to say I know I don’t like it because I’ve tried it at school. In fact the school never served it and they’d no idea if they liked it or not.  Many many suppliers have turned up at major vehicle manufacturers with an opinion.  None of them get through the door.  

I want an AWD RAV because the Badge on the back looks cool.  And I can say to my mates "yes, it's awd you know"  😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

My kids used to say I know I don’t like it because I’ve tried it at school. In fact the school never served it and they’d no idea if they liked it or not.  Many many suppliers have turned up at major vehicle manufacturers with an opinion.  None of them get through the door.  

I didn't think I would get the opertunity to post  this so soon after it's last outing.  😉

image.thumb.png.035c5310fdd8039a102deabb21cc7ada.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, anchorman said:

fascinating !

I extensively research before purchase,

When I had my 2019 NX 4x4 the instances when the 4x4 drive was engaged had increased 3 Fold compared with the previous version.

Such was the improvement that, with the right tyres, the NX was the equal of any 4x4 on the Highways. 

4 years on, & with the 4th Generation Hybrid System the Yaris cross AWD is even better.

Fact.

Tel

• Like 4

Tyres make all the difference.

My  2012  2WD Jazz on Michelin Cross Climate tyres in snow, outperforms 4x4s with summer tyres.  Some grip is better than twice none.

Of course a good 4x4 with winter or Cross Climate tyres would knock spots off the Jazz

• Like 3

No argument there, always tyres first!

BTW fishy you need to have a go in a Mk4 hybrid :biggrin: 

It is a genuinely good successor to the D4D!!

(Maybe wait until car prices are less insane tho'... :unsure:)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

Such was the improvement that, with the right tyres, the NX was the equal of any 4x4 on the Highways. 

4 years on, & with the 4th Generation Hybrid System the Yaris cross AWD is even better.

Fact.

Tel

A Yaris X AWD is even better than a car that was the equal of any 4x4 on the highway?

Are you feeling OK?   🤣

The Cross Mk 4 Hybrid is a touch smoother in transmission & the instances of 4x4 engagement  are @ least the same as my Lexus 4x4's. Smooth driving is fundamental to safe progress when driving on snow or ice .

So ,theoretically, I am correct & happy I chose AWD.

Tel

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

No argument there, always tyres first!

BTW fishy you need to have a go in a Mk4 hybrid :biggrin: 

It is a genuinely good successor to the D4D!!

(Maybe wait until car prices are less insane tho'... :unsure:)

I expect used car prices to halve in the UK this year..

52 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

I expect used car prices to halve in the UK this year..

Not so sure about it, perhaps the new cars needs to go down first and they will with offers like before, then the use£ will follow. Currently it’s beyond stupidity or urgency to purchase a used car worth over £5 as those are the most overpriced and in the same time those cheap ate total garbage, no life left in them at all. Very difficult situation. Best for all is to stick with what they have or even give up driving if not done for living. 1.5-2 years and the market will eventually become better to the consumers. Btw bev’s are currently around 20% cheaper than Toyota hybrids similar size and spec cars. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links