Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Radiator Fan on / off when A/C on

nobbynobbs999

Hi Everyone

I have a 2018 Aygo with manual A/C.  When my car went on for a service recently I was told that I should have the A/C topped up as it had never been done .  I respectfully declined as it seems to be working fine (maybe not quite as good as it once was, but still cools well)

This morning my car was misted up so I turned on the A/C.  I noticed the radiator fan keep on going on and off, like 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off all the time the vehicle was stationary. Is this normal?  

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Nobby

Ano, je to normální. Dokonce je to zmíněno i v návodu k autu, kde se píše, že při zapnuté klimatizaci se vždy zapne ventilátor chladiče.

The manual air conditioning does not run continuously, but switches on and off as needed and the radiator fan turns on and off together.

• Like 1

Thanks for replying 🙂

Does the frequency of the on and off matter as it was constantly on for about 10 seconds and then off for 10 seconds (whilst the car was stationary clearing the condensation)? Maybe I should get the A/C topped up!?

I am a bit of a worrier, sorry.

Cheers

Nobly

7 minutes ago, nobbynobbs999 said:

Does the frequency of the on and off matter as it was constantly on for about 10 seconds and then off for 10 seconds (whilst the car was stationary clearing the condensation)?

I am a bit of a worrier, sorry.

To some extent yes. It would normally be slow to get down to temperature if the pressure is low. So the fan would be running for long times or continously. Your 10 sec on and 10 sec off sounds about normal. I'd have the AC topped up every 5 years or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nobbynobbs999 said:

This morning my car was misted up so I turned on the A/C.  I noticed the radiator fan keep on going on and off, like 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off all the time the vehicle was stationary. Is this normal?  

Always noticed this fan on / off switching on my previous Aygo II

It did that from new.

Topping it off would not change a thing IMHO. That's just how it works...

• Like 2

It shouldn't go on and off that quickly, that is usually a sign of low pressure.............. i will let you jump to your own conclusion

• Like 4

It's also how my aircon at home works when it's cold outside. But i never counted the seconds at home or in the Aygo.

• Like 2

I had not notice the frequency of the on/off situation so was a little worried

The radiator cooling fan needs to / will run while the air-conditioning compressor clutch is engaged.

It's perfectly normal for the cooling fan to run when the A/C is selected by the driver - but it shouldn't cycle on / off that quickly.

The refrigerant level is very likely low & needs to be topped up.

• Like 2

Air conditioning system needs periodic pressure test and refill with gas and oil, between every 2-4 years depending on usage and climate. I agree with that might be low on gas to cause that frequent switch but also can be because of the cold weather. In summer the ac will need longer time to reach desired temperature while now it’s almost reached immediately. 
Test and regas plus install a new cabin filter are your best next steps to keep everything running smoothly and for a long time. 👍
image.thumb.jpeg.b740ad4f8c4c562c5bbcfd91443fd306.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.016543edbc7c7140b7ca9aecd0b6d574.jpeg

• Like 2

I spoke to Toyota and the service guy seemed to think it was normal.  I have got it booked in for the 21st to get the AC topped up and they will have a check of the fan then.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links