Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How difficult is it to convert Avensis 2001 to electric?

Awake Awareness

Why would you on a 2001 car? There are kits out there but you are putting an electric car kit on a car worth ten bob, soz 

• Haha 1

It would be cheaper to buy an EV then try to convert it. Was this just a thought or was you seriously considering it. If you are serious then send me £50 grand and I will by the parts whilst holidaying in the Seychelles. 😂

It could cost less if the car is in excellent condition and you do some of the work yourself. If you are  investor then easily can cost you £35-50k Otherwise great idea. 👍

I would imagine you could do anything if you had the money, but, as others have pointed out, it’s not cost effective, cheaper to buy an ev secondhand 

Depends on what and how you want to do it.

There is a lot of off-the-shelf stuff for most of the drive train, with the batteries being the most expensive part. A lot of custom fabrication work is usually needed, and some adaptive electronics depending on how much of the original car systems and controls you want to keep. Creature comforts like heating and AC add to the cost as they need to be replaced.

The work can be done by someone who has good mechanical skill, but it's a lot of work.

There are several companies that will do the conversion work - flash22's listed two of the most well known in this country - but they're expensive and there is quite a lead time.

I'm not sure how worth it it is as the costs are on par with a new EV but the car will be objectively worse most of the time, and have less range - They often struggle to find enough room for a decent amount of batteries in normal cars.

Fully awake yet awareness? Shut the idea down real quick! 

Maybe somewhere in texas is doable but not in Europe, it will be a nightmare to get that converted car on road legally and if you do, what will be the result? Slow and old electric car with a range of 150km with a slow charger and poor noise insolation? Converting ICE car to electric is a good idea only if it's your fun project and money is not a thing or you have lost of parts(engines, batteries) stock.

Lots and lots of hamsters, and a big wheel….

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links