Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

toyota yaris cross hybrid mpg

Elio2269

Hello everyone i have just ordered my first ever toyota. A yaris cross hybrid, delivery expected 20th march 2023. I am moving from a range rover evoque to a yaris cross. I have heard the yaris cross fuel efficiency is amazing and just wondered what anyone with a yaris cross thinks. thank you.

• Like 3

Hi Emanuale welcome to the TOC. The difference will be like chalk and cheese 😮. You will not be disappointed. In the meantime do a little research on how best to drive your Hybrid Toyota. Plenty of advice on utube re Hybrid driving.

• Like 3

From new, Sep to now, my average is shown to be 60.8.  In warmer weather I would hope to average high 60s.

• Like 3

Driven properly, hybrid cars will reward you handsomely in terms of mpg.  I would never go back to a petrol or diesel powered cars.

• Like 4

Hi Emanuele, I'm not going to quote my Yaris Cross mpg - when and where I drive may be very different to your usage - but I'm very, very impressed with its fuel economy. As others have said (and probably will say) you may need to adapt your driving style slightly if you want to get the best out of the hybrid system: there's lots of info on Youtube and elsewhere, including from the 'official' Toyota people

• Like 4

Winter hammers the MPG a lot (my Corolla is 8mpg worse in winter than summer). Driving technique is EVERYTHING. Drive with you foot to the floor it won’t be great, but watch your hybrid Battery power levels & try to keep it in EV mode (by easing off sharply on throttle) as much as possible. Use the regenerative braking (charge section of the CHARGE/ECO/ POWER) graph when braking, so as not to waste energy using the actual brakes. Lots of advice on YouTube (generally Prius drivers, but concept is the same). Pulse & glide technique works really well with hybrids. 

Put the effort in with some considered driving, and the rewards are impressive. 

• Like 5

The Yaris models in particular are very naturally efficient; Even if you're not driving them efficiently they will return very good fuel economy. If you try and drive them efficiently tho' the mpg just gets ridiculous :laugh: 

In summer I was getting mid-70's even while hooning around, but the sub-zero temps we've had have dropped it into the mid-50s due to engine having to run all the time to keep the car warm in the the horrible traffic I'm usually stuck in. :sad: 

• Like 3

It’s nowhere near as luxurious as an Evoque but about a million times more reliable.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Elio2269 said:

Hello everyone i have just ordered my first ever toyota. A yaris cross hybrid, delivery expected 20th march 2023. I am moving from a range rover evoque to a yaris cross. I have heard the yaris cross fuel efficiency is amazing and just wondered what anyone with a yaris cross thinks. thank you.

Hang on, I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and I was given April as delivery, does this mean I might get it sooner…?

welcome from me too

• Like 2

Who knows!  This forum is full of stories about extended delivery times but on the other hand some members have been really lucky and only waited a few weeks.  It’s all a bit of a lottery but I was given a 6 month delivery date at the time of order but it took nearly 7 months till I got my keys.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, anchorman said:

It’s nowhere near as luxurious as an Evoque but about a million times more reliable.  

Yes, don't compare cross with evoque in comfort and posh because you will be disappointed a lot. I switch from BMW e92 to yaris cross, and it's a chance o boy. But yaris have other advantages, super practical, great fuel economy, fun to drive an easy to park, reliable, great tech and safety, people instantly like the cross.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Primus1 said:

Hang on, I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and I was given April as delivery, does this mean I might get it sooner…?

welcome from me too

I ordered mine in May! Was cancelled on me by Toyota.  Asked to reorder first week October and told delivery January now being told maybe March build likely May delivery by dealer! I contacted Toyota direct who said 6 months!  Looking at cancelling now. 

if you order now and get in March you will be lucky. I certainly hope you have more luck than me!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, raymondolee said:

I ordered mine in May! Was cancelled on me by Toyota.  Asked to reorder first week October and told delivery January now being told maybe March build likely May delivery by dealer! I contacted Toyota direct who said 6 months!  Looking at cancelling now. 

if you order now and get in March you will be lucky. I certainly hope you have more luck than me!

I nearly cancelled for another reason and I decided then that I’ll never wait for another car.  There are new cars at dealers that are new but pre registered.   I found a new Honda HRV which in fact was a nicer car than the X and very nearly defected.  Yes it was FWD but I was angry enough to forgo that and I will next time.   

5632A625-A56F-4063-9DAD-F3E1EF1D45A5.jpeg

• Like 4

True.
Mazda and Honda does better interiors than Toyota lately, shame really as Toyota does the best hybrids. 
For the fuel consumption of Yaris cross I was expecting to be much worse than standard Yaris but in reality they are quite close. You can share what is your current average on both models. 👍

• Like 3

It's not much worst, Yaris 3.2L, cross 3.8L per 100km. It's different, but not that significant. 

Everything under 4L is excellent for me.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, anchorman said:

My evoque has been without doubt the most unreliable car i have ever owned. Ev en though i bought it from new.

NEVER BUY A LAND ROVER EVER.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, anchorman said:

I nearly cancelled for another reason and I decided then that I’ll never wait for another car.  There are new cars at dealers that are new but pre registered.   I found a new Honda HRV which in fact was a nicer car than the X and very nearly defected.  Yes it was FWD but I was angry enough to forgo that and I will next time.   

5632A625-A56F-4063-9DAD-F3E1EF1D45A5.jpeg

Whilst I’m delighted with my car and impressed with Toyota overall, I don’t think I’ll go through this waiting game again.  Additionally, I’ve always been used to collecting my new cars in the spring or summer and wouldn’t by choice purchase a vehicle for delivery at the end of December.  We all know most manufacturers are in the same predicament as Toyota but if things don’t improve in two or three years time I might seriously keep hold of my car and take advantage of the 10 year guarantee rather than trade it in for a new model.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

True.
Mazda and Honda does better interiors than Toyota lately, shame really as Toyota does the best hybrids. 
For the fuel consumption of Yaris cross I was expecting to be much worse than standard Yaris but in reality they are quite close. You can share what is your current average on both models. 👍

Yeah, the M15A-FXE+1NM powertrain combination has shown a very high level of natural efficiency; It shares that trait with the old 1.4L 1ND-TV diesel engine they made.

It's got a very good balance of power, torque and efficiency. Toyota did a really good job with that power-train :thumbsup: 

19 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Whilst I’m delighted with my car and impressed with Toyota overall, I don’t think I’ll go through this waiting game again.  Additionally, I’ve always been used to collecting my new cars in the spring or summer and wouldn’t by choice purchase a vehicle for delivery at the end of December.  We all know most manufacturers are in the same predicament as Toyota but if things don’t improve in two or three years time I might seriously keep hold of my car and take advantage of the 10 year guarantee rather than trade it in for a new model.

If all goes to plan, this should be the last car with an ICE I will get; I'm hoping it lasts long enough for a decent EV to come out, but it also depends on how draconic the 'safety' systems being mandated get.

I'm already quite unhappy with the inaccuracy of the road sign recognition, and how the 'safety' systems keep creating more dangerous situations when they e.g. prevent me from moving out of the way of oncoming vehicles, or try to steer me into oncoming traffic or parked cars, or just slam on the brakes out of the blue because it incorrectly thinks I'm going to crash.

I am really not keen on the next gen of cars, having hard speed limiters, when the speed limit recognition is still so inaccurate.

If the increasingly intrusive systems they're putting in get too intrusive I might never change...

The problem is, in my view, the systems have to be 100% accurate or they have no place being in a 1200kg death machine. 99% accurate is  just not good enough, nevermind the sub-70% accuracy the systems currently have, when it comes to a safety system that unilaterally overrides driver input. But it is impossible for them to be 100% accurate with current technology.

• Like 3

Hi Emanuele

Like you I am a new hybrid driver, just over a month in my Yaris Cross and I absolutely love it.  My mpg so far on 2 full tank fill ups has been mid 50's with a range of driving, including some motorway, but we have had some weather cold enough to reduce the EV portion of my trips, and I've utilised the remote climate control to de ice the car on several mornings, so I'm happy with what it's returned so far.  Hoping in warmer weather this improves.  

Hope you enjoy your new car when it comes. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links