Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2007 1.6 VVTI Rattle around 1600-2000 rpm

ryanh18

Hi bought my auris about 4 months ago it’s on 80k miles, when i rev up past 1600rpm it makes a sort of metal rattling noise and once over 2000rpm it goes away and sounds fine. It doesn’t do it while on idle or revving in neutral, only driving. hasn’t had an oil change since i bought it’s getting a service next week. Can anyone shed any light what it may be. Heat shield, exhaust, cam gear these are just possible causes i found online. Thanks 

Is there any difference if the car is cold or warm? 

50 minutes ago, furtula said:

Is there any difference if the car is cold or warm? 

Well i’ve just drove home from the mrs and the engine got up to temp and didn’t hear the noise once.. its almost when i drive it for a while but not too sure. 

You can ask the mechanic who is going to service the car to check for you. You have found most common reasons, just ask him to check carefully. 👍

• Like 1

Vibration at around 1500-1700 rpm under load is a kind of normal for most 4 cylinders from harmonic vibration resonance freq. I also have it in my Altima 02.   I found a loose bolt on the exhaust pipe. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update

Noise got a a lot louder now and realised it’s actually my heat shield under my exhaust. The fixing points have corroded away. 

• Like 1

Usually people would buy a can of some soft drink, undo the screw on the heat shield, cut out a piece of the can to use a washer, and screw back on. In my case i just used mamut glue mixed with some sawdust for a bit more strength. 

But i did this on my old car, it held for 3 yrs and then i sold it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, furtula said:

Usually people would buy a can of some soft drink, undo the screw on the heat shield, cut out a piece of the can to use a washer, and screw back on. In my case i just used mamut glue mixed with some sawdust for a bit more strength. 

But i did this on my old car, it held for 3 yrs and then i sold it. 

Well i definitely didn’t do this, i just use self tapping screws with a metal/rubber washer and razzed it in with a bit of sealant 

Don't make the connection too rigid, otherwise it fails again, as wind applies force to the heatshield, it bends, weakening the, causing the metal on rigid points to break off due to fatigue.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links