Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TPWS Malfunction Visit Dealer

TazUddin

Had 2 tyres fitted at Kwik Fit. All fine. Drove on dual carriageways etc. Next evening I have this message pop up. Obviously will have to take it back as I'm guessing they've messed up tyre pressure sensors. Tyres are all fine though and no loss of air etc. Really annoying. Didn't fancy another visit and wait there lol. Ps. I have the extra module fitted that tells me all tyre pressures for all 4 wheels. Guessing it can't be becuase of that. Has been working fine for few months.

20230210_195718.jpg

• Like 3

If tyre pressure is corect then reset the tps module  on the dash and see if it works.

• Like 3

I had 2 new tyres fitted professionally on Thursday morning. Two miles down the road and the TPMS light on the dash came on.  Got home, Checked and reset the pressure for all four tyres to the recommended pressure, reset the car system, and no light come on since. Get into the car handbook, find out how to reset the TPMS light, and do it, should be simple to do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just tried resetting via dashboard. Doesn't do anything. Usually resets but becuase of the malfunction showing. Nothing happens.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just maybe the tyre fitter removed/damaged the module.

It woud be a good time to replace the Battery but then I dont expect two tmps Battery to fail at exactly the same time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But when buying a new tyres why the tyre fitter needs to touch the valve assy? Can they just take the old tyre out out a new in and balance? 

• Like 5

I've had several front tyres and never had this issue before. I'm guessing they messed about with the sensor.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TazUddin said:

I've had several front tyres and never had this issue before. I'm guessing they messed about with the sensor.

Most likely and now they should pay for new one and all necessary work imo. Kwick fit are one of if not the worst place to take any car for any job there. 

• Like 4

I wouldn’t go near them. Despite being told they ignored me, changed both front tyres on my Citroen XM with the engine off, dropped both jacks and folded both jacking points, it cost them a lot of money to get it sorted.

I now only use small independents, there care and need return customers.

• Like 6

From what I can gather, and I only just learning about tpms, the vast majority of cars do not have expensive tpms sensors…. otherwise the cost of fitting a new valve every tyre change would be a lot more than it is.  I stand to be corrected and educated, but with the majority of the cars the increase or decrease above or below the tpms setting is to do with rotational speed due to increase/decrease in tyre diameter. So, once the TPMS is set the system monitors a change in rotational speed of each wheel., any deviation by a certain %age will trigger the warning light to come on.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

From what I can gather, and I only just learning about tpms, the vast majority of cars do not have expensive tpms sensors…. otherwise the cost of fitting a new valve every tyre change would be a lot more than it is.  I stand to be corrected and educated, but with the majority of the cars the increase or decrease above or below the tpms setting is to do with rotational speed due to increase/decrease in tyre diameter. So, once the TPMS is set the system monitors a change in rotational speed of each wheel., any deviation by a certain %age will trigger the warning light to come on.

Different types of TPMS systems Joe, the Toyota has cheaper type with valve sensors easily damaged by tyre fitter.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Different types of TPMS systems Joe, the Toyota has cheaper type with valve sensors easily damaged by tyre fitter.

The sensor inside wheel type is more expensive as it requires 4 X tyre pressure sensors & the TPMS unit to be fitted to the vehicle.

The cheaper system just uses the ABS wheel speed sensors that are already part of the vehicle with some additional software programming to activate the TPMS warning light.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Resetting the TPMS to the correct values is not immediate.  The handbook gives the  process.  Worst case, it can take up to 100 miles driving to complete 

The OP of course has a slightly different problem with that warning message.  Still worth setting the correct pressures then driving and see what happens. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t got any of these and I am so happy about it. The thing is that your sensors cost £170 circa per wheel. Tyre fitters should be extremely careful when working on cars like that and never touch these valves from inside. Only change the batteries eventually depending on how old the set up is but then again this needs to be discussed with the owner. Why is that stupidity of changing valves each time you change a tyres is beyond me, simply because valves can last easily 5 and more years but tyres most likely gone in 2-3 years, so even with cheap classic rubber valves there is unnecessary work done imo.
The car trade is wrong since the beginning now over 120 years and still going wrong including the propulsion and fuel used in cars, service, safety during winter and the salt particularly in UK,  everything. Money interests, then anything else obviously. 👍

• Like 4

For mine they're a bit over £70-ish per wheel from Toyota or, as we discovered, about twice that for all 4 from Mazda :naughty: 

I think most tyre fitters will remove the valve core from the TPMS to deflate the tyre faster - The ones I've used even do that with normal rubber valves - and the put in a new one.

I do wish we got the 2-part TPMS sensors here as I have a feeling I may have very slightly damaged or loosened the aluminium stem on one of mine as it's slowly leaking.

This is one thing I love about the active TPMS system on the new cars, as I can see that wheel has dropped a couple PSI over the last week relative to the others; I'd not have noticed this with a passive system or just a warning system.

• Like 3

A Corolla tuned up today at the garage with the space saver fitted, needed a new tyre on the road wheel as tyre unrepairable. 

New tyre installed & wheel refitted to vehicle, TPMS light still on, checking / inflating all 4 tyres to the correct pressure on the info sticker soon automatically extinguished the warning light. 

• Like 3

Lee, as related when I got my new car, TPMS lights out, set tyres to correct pressure and lights On 😁

Must say, only being a member of this forum warned me the car might arrived over pressured.

• Like 3

my light comes on when very cold ,a couple of degrees warmer and off it goes, pressures all set ok. cold air contacts, warm air expands so pressure goes up or down depending.

• Like 2

Took it to dealers and apparently Kwik Fit damaged one of the sensors and replaced it with a non OEM part. Now issue starts when I went back to Kwik Fit and explained what the dealers said. They obviously denied it and said that's not the sensors they use etc. However it was already confirmed by the manager that they would pay for it. Ended up costing £180 for diagnosis and change of sensor. Alas the issue was sorted lol.

• Like 4

Thanks for the update. 
Conclusion- avoid Kwik fit and the likes for tyres no matter how good the offers are. They had probably over tightened the lug nuts too and used some grease on the hub. Tyre fitters and quick shop garages  are one of the worst places to go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:23 PM, TonyHSD said:

Thanks for the update. 
Conclusion- avoid Kwik fit and the likes for tyres no matter how good the offers are. They had probably over tightened the lug nuts too and used some grease on the hub. Tyre fitters and quick shop garages  are one of the worst places to go. 

So where do you go then ? 😁

2 hours ago, DC_Ms said:

So where do you go then ? 😁

Anywhere you go there is a risk, however kwik fit has always been the worst places along with Halfords service and national tyres, and mr.clutch and pretty much all big names. Honesty it’s all about luck and the people who work within the branch. I would say ATS are slightly better but they just proved yesterday that they aren’t much different than any other chains, although it will depend really of the people in the branches locally. My local ATS did the job well, I returned twice within two weeks then a third time and all went ok. Pro tyres owned by kwickfit always been on the slightly better side. My local Toyota dealers been ok but if I go for a service or tyres I will definitely find wrong things within. The truth is that the car trade has always been a shoddy business since day 1 of the automobile over 150 years ago. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links