Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unsure of renewing Service Plan for an Auris GB25

MrsJoolz

I bought my 2017 Auris GB25 three years ago with a bit over 18,000 miles on the clock. It was delivered the day before lock down started so I didn't use it much that first year and circumstances have meant that I don't it as much as my previous cars.

At the time I took out the Service Plan which I thought would be a good idea.  However this week when I took my car for its last service under this plan, I was given a one day only offer quote for the next three years of £980 inclusive of V.A.T.  This was for a Service B in 2024 (approximate mileage 60,000), a service A in 2025 (approximate mileage 70,000) and another Service B in 2026(approximate mileage 80,000).  Now given that my current mileage is around 26,500 miles and I have only put on just over 6000 miles in three years, why do I get the feeling that I will be paying for parts that won't need changing simply because I haven't done the miles?

The dealer isn't exactly local so I wait while it is serviced/M.O.T'd but if I don't renew, how do I go about finding a new garage who can service my car, preferably nearer to me?  What do other members do? Any recommendations would be appreciated please as I wouldn't feel confident in doing any servicing myself.

Thanks

Servicing isn't just mileage based, there is a time factor as well - the service schedule being 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

So if you do less than 10,000 in a year (whether that is 2,000, 5,000 or 9,000), services will be due at 12 months. The fact you've done only 6,000 miles in three years is neither here nor there.

So your service plan 'offer' will be for the 6 year/60,000 miles service (full service), 7 year/70,000 miles service (Intermediate), and the 8 year/80,000 miles service (Full). Obviously MOTs will also be due for each of these.

Since July 2021, servicing at a Toyota dealer will also provide the service generated Relax extended warranty - see attachment.

If you don't wish to do this with servicing at a Toyota dealer, you can use an independent garage, which may be cheaper. However, whether you do so or not, doesn't change the recommended service schedule. There may be schemes available in your local area that can help you choose another garage - e.g. Good Garage Scheme, The AA Good Garage Guide, etc - or you could ask relatives or friends if they have a good garage they can recommend.

Really it is comes down to your choice.

Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21_tcm-3060-2286757.pdf

• Like 3

Thank you Frostyballs for this explanation 😀.  I will investigate as you suggest before I decide what to do .

There are two recommended garages in my magazine in Hertfordshire but wether they can service hybrid cars I don’t know they can probably do the mechanical side of it but unsure about the hybrid side ie: traction Battery etc although I think it’s only a matter of checking the voltages of the individual cells of the traction Battery. One is DC Roger’s auto repairs tele 01432 264200 and the other is Broxbourne MOT and motorist Unit 1 bridge works Nazing new road Broxbourne herts EN10 6SG. 

As frosty has said you will get the benefit of the 12 month warranty if you have it serviced at Toyota but having said that these cars are ultra reliable so yes it’s all down to personal choice.

Thank you Roscoe. I've just checked your two suggestions and neither are nearer to my home in Welwyn Garden City than my current dealer 😟. So I will carry on with my research.

Honestly the best place to service you cars if you don’t do it yourself it’s a Toyota dealer. No need to buy expensive packages though, just add to your calendar and book when the car reaches 11th month since your last service. Call the branch near  you and book the service in. 
It is not cheap but adds on all the benefits: -relax warrant , Battery health check,  service history on their website, reassurances that a qualified technician is working and if anything goes wrong they will take care off. Original spare parts and last but not least building a relation with the dealer  that may help in any eventual future warranty or out of warranty work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrsJoolz said:

Thank you Roscoe. I've just checked your two suggestions and neither are nearer to my home in Welwyn Garden City than my current dealer 😟. So I will carry on with my research.

The other thing to bear in mind it will be worth more with full dealer history if decided to trade it in.

toyota dealers do provide a collection and delivery or courtesy car my dealer charges £15 this is to cover insurance.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

Toyota dealers do provide a collection and delivery or courtesy car my dealer charges £15 this is to cover insurance.

And wash it too though the purists here say no, DIY. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:41 PM, TonyHSD said:

if you don’t do it yourself it’s a Toyota dealer....

My Auris is virtually identical to yours.  I use a Toyota dealer but keep the cost down a bit by taking my own engine oil. £35 at Pipercross instead of £110 for the Toyota supplied oil.  And tell them not to fill your washer bottle - they'll charge about £6, even if it's already 90% full.  The same goes for the cabin filter and key fob Battery.  All much, much cheaper if you buy quality alternatives and fit them yourself. The last service was a 'full' (48 month) and cost £290 inc Vat. The previous 'intermediate' service (same oil / washer bottle / cabin filter / fob Battery instructions) cost £160 inc Vat.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wooster said:

My Auris is virtually identical to yours.  I use a Toyota dealer but keep the cost down a bit by taking my own engine oil. £35 at Pipercross instead of £110 for the Toyota supplied oil.  And tell them not to fill your washer bottle - they'll charge about £6, even if it's already 90% full.  The same goes for the cabin filter and key fob battery.  All much, much cheaper if you buy quality alternatives and fit them yourself. The last service was a 'full' (48 month) and cost £290 inc Vat. The previous 'intermediate' service (same oil / washer bottle / cabin filter / fob battery instructions) cost £160 inc Vat.  

That’s also a good idea if the dealer agreed to do it because I am sure some will likely say no.
Now I am thinking if I buy a Corolla 2019, get the first service of my ownership at the dealer just to secure any faults in the first 3 months and then carry on myself as diy.
The only thing that I am worried about are the headlights and rear lights, as those are led sealed units that cost fortune and they do go wrong.
Outside car warranty it will be extra high cost to replace. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links