Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2014 Toyota Avensis 2.0D4D 1ADFTV engine

2009joe

hello there toyota world quick question im wondering dose anyone have oil usage on these engines . i have changed my engine oil but i noticed it was half way between the 2 marks and when i changed my oil i put oil in  and it was just nearly at top of the second mark from the 2 marks on the dip stick is this bad or is this what those engines do . when i changed my oil was last  year summer time 

• Like 1

the dipsticks on these yokes are weird enough to read properly,toyota say 300ml of oil usage/burn per 1000km is acceptable,my last oil change was at 126k miles it now has 132k miles on it,and i didnt put in the reccomended amount of oil in which is about 6.2 or 6.3 litres i put in 6 litres exactly,and when i last checked the dipstick it was at the half way mark so i lost or burnt about 500ml in over 5k(5,500k to be exact) which isnt that bad at all,every diesel engine burns a bit of oil especially Toyota engines haha

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AvennyT272010 said:

the dipsticks on these yokes are weird enough to read properly,toyota say 300ml of oil usage/burn per 1000km is acceptable,my last oil change was at 126k miles it now has 132k miles on it,and i didnt put in the reccomended amount of oil in which is about 6.2 or 6.3 litres i put in 6 litres exactly,and when i last checked the dipstick it was at the half way mark so i lost or burnt about 500ml in over 5k(5,500k to be exact) which isnt that bad at all,every diesel engine burns a bit of oil especially Toyota engines haha

my last car a seat toledo 1.9tdi it was great it hardly used any oil at all compared to my toyota my seat had 140k on it and the toyota i got now just turned 54k 

My 2.0 diesel (2012 with dpf) has driven 425,000 km and no noticeable oil consumption.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, avetoy said:

My 2.0 diesel (2012 with dpf) has driven 425,000 km and no noticeable oil consumption.

Well with mine just notice small bit on the wee dip stick .but it's hard sometimes as when I take it out oil al over stick but can still see where at when I changed oil was just under the top nick last year then when checked it now it's half way between the 2  my car got that dreaded dpf on it also 

9 hours ago, AvennyT272010 said:

the dipsticks on these yokes are weird enough to read properly.

I'll second that, which makes it hard to determine how much it's consuming. The dip stick is so awkward that I measure the amount I put in rather than trying to gauge it from the stick. 6.4l for me with a new filter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2009joe said:

my last car a seat toledo 1.9tdi it was great it hardly used any oil at all compared to my toyota my seat had 140k on it and the toyota i got now just turned 54k 

A friend of mine had an old bmw 520 with 120 on the clock, that thing drank it for breakfast, dinner and supper. Needed to have a gallon drum permanently in the boot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Driving in colder weather may increase oil consumption especially if you keep engine idling longer. Up to an litre between oil changes can be considered normal for older cars, new ones below 100k miles generally speaking should not use any, or just a tiny bit.
You will need to check your manual book how to inspect oil level, some engines are  at cold and some are on warm engine.
If later, you can park the car at level ground and wait 5 min after switching off the engine, take dipstick out, wipe , insert in wait 10 seconds and take out again hold horizontally and read - these are good steps to check oil level in your Toyota car 👌👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim-p said:

A friend of mine had an old bmw 520 with 120 on the clock, that thing drank it for breakfast, dinner and supper. Needed to have a gallon drum permanently in the boot.

Aye tbh wouldn't have a BMW around me .they look class but the cost of running them etc is crazy .make me cry working hard trying 2 get a few quid together for future then having 2 pay it on a car that breaks down loads .that's y I bought this Toyota fresh like new one so would last a really long time .if taxi drivers got them they must be good I thought .not 2 say bought it to look cool .as tbh there not that cool looking .nice enough yoke but tbh as I found out in the interior plastic parts there kina cheap all clipped together with stupid clips my last VW group car was all bolted together no anoying rattles lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Driving in colder weather may increase oil consumption especially if you keep engine idling longer. Up to an litre between oil changes can be considered normal for older cars, new ones below 100k miles generally speaking should not use any, or just a tiny bit.
You will need to check your manual book how to inspect oil level, some engines are  at cold and some are on warm engine.
If later, you can park the car at level ground and wait 5 min after switching off the engine, take dipstick out, wipe , insert in wait 10 seconds and take out again hold horizontally and read - these are good steps to check oil level in your Toyota car 👌👍

Well tbh my old 1.9tdi it hardly used oil and tbh this Toyota not that bad I think.any usage of oil gives me the !Removed! lol 🙈 . My last one was great I did away with those egr thing like pulled the air pipe out of the egr which switched it off and I had vcds software and went into the settings and turned down the values of the egr that turned off the light on the dash lol. It didn't have a dpf .but with this Toyota I can't do that as well with this dpf 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2009joe said:

Aye tbh wouldn't have a BMW around me .they look class but the cost of running them etc is crazy .make me cry working hard trying 2 get a few quid together for future then having 2 pay it on a car that breaks down loads .that's y I bought this Toyota fresh like new one so would last a really long time .if taxi drivers got them they must be good I thought .not 2 say bought it to look cool .as tbh there not that cool looking .nice enough yoke but tbh as I found out in the interior plastic parts there kina cheap all clipped together with stupid clips my last VW group car was all bolted together no anoying rattles lol 

Same reason I bought a 7 yr old avensis with 48k back in 2018.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim-p said:

Same reason I bought a 7 yr old avensis with 48k back in 2018.

cant see mine lasting though and its not for me looking after it as i do as for all the miles i do and well with that dpf im sure will give bother. im 2 afraid to cut the stuff out of the dpf and map out the egr things out of it as im sure with the uk mot there supposed to be soon  going to check emissions 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

cant see mine lasting though and its not for me looking after it as i do as for all the miles i do and well with that dpf im sure will give bother. im 2 afraid to cut the stuff out of the dpf and map out the egr things out of it as im sure with the uk mot there supposed to be soon  going to check emissions 

Same here, used to be doing about 10k per year to begin with but that's now up to 25k per year with ferrying kids to wherever. In a way I'm kinda glad to be getting my value out of it before age gets it. I have intermittent injector issues (P062D) and a funny gearbox noise that i posted about here (toyota told me not to worry about but i think it's gotten a little louder). Now at 143k km i hope to drive it at least another 4 years if I can, probably to the road.

31 minutes ago, Jim-p said:

Same here, used to be doing about 10k per year to begin with but that's now up to 25k per year with ferrying kids to wherever. In a way I'm kinda glad to be getting my value out of it before age gets it. I have intermittent injector issues (P062D) and a funny gearbox noise that i posted about here (toyota told me not to worry about but i think it's gotten a little louder). Now at 143k km i hope to drive it at least another 4 years if I can, probably to the road.

tbh i wouldnt listen to toyota id change the gearbox oil i got 52k on mine and well im going tro change my gearbox oil in the summer i  bought genuine toyota gearbox oil and well whatever comes out of it im going measure it and put in the exact same amount 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

tbh i wouldnt listen to toyota id change the gearbox oil i got 52k on mine and well im going tro change my gearbox oil in the summer i  bought genuine toyota gearbox oil and well whatever comes out of it im going measure it and put in the exact same amount 

Going to do that as well actually to see if it might quieten things, even slightly.

• Like 1

When you drain the transmission fluid a good practice is to do the filler plug, first then drain the oil into a clean pan and inspect for any metal deposits. With something like a screwdriver you can do some swirls into the oil in the pan and with a torch light look for metallic traces in the swirls tails. Sometimes with the new oil gearbox can become noisier instead of quieter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

When you drain the transmission fluid a good practice is to do the filler plug, first then drain the oil into a clean pan and inspect for any metal deposits. With something like a screwdriver you can do some swirls into the oil in the pan and with a torch light look for metallic traces in the swirls tails. Sometimes with the new oil gearbox can become noisier instead of quieter. 

but the oil is genuine toyota oil i got to change it from toyota its the stuff for my gearbox yep thats what im going to do take off the fill plug first

• Like 1

It does seem relatively common for Toyota 6 speed manual gearboxes to become slightly noisy with age. My current Avensis diesel gearbox is and the 1.6 petrol Auris I owned previously was too. I changed the gearbox oil on both as a precaution but it made no difference to the noise. Both boxes worked fine in all other ways so I just ignored it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

It does seem relatively common for Toyota 6 speed manual gearboxes to become slightly noisy with age. My current Avensis diesel gearbox is and the 1.6 petrol Auris I owned previously was too. I changed the gearbox oil on both as a precaution but it made no difference to the noise. Both boxes worked fine in all other ways so I just ignored it.

When u changed your oil did it look really black and we'll used compared to the new oil 

18 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

When u changed your oil did it look really black and we'll used compared to the new oil 

A garage changed the oil in the Avensis gearbox, but I did the oil change on the Auris and the old oil came out looking quite clean. It may perhaps have been changed by the previous owner at some point though.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links