Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Auris 1.4 D-4D charging problem

hJohn

Hello,
I have a 2010 Toyota Auris 1.4 D-4D that suddenly turned off all accessories, displayed the text "Charging System" and the Battery warning light turned on while I was driving.

I measured the voltage over the Battery when the car was running and there was no difference from when the car wasn't running. I ordered an alternator from Autodoc and installed it. Now when the car is running I have 13.9v constant without fluctuations even when applying electrical load. But I believe it's supposed to be 14.4v so it's still not enough.

The text on the display and the Battery warning light is still there. I have checked for codes with a scan tool and I couldn't find anything. I also used the scan tool to check what voltage the car is detecting and it matches my multimeter connected to the battery.

Does anyone know what it could be or how to troubleshoot this?

Good Evening If the Battery outputs less volts, check the alternator as well

13.9v sounds a little low tbh although it will charge the Battery OK. Remember the 'float' charge voltage is closer to 13.5v to 13.8v.

I would also suggest you check the calibration of your DVM before assuming the voltages it displays are accurate.

My own Auris (petrol) does put out 14.4 volts although it is under ECU control:

Since the message is still being displayed along with the Battery light something is obviously not correct. I have driven the car around and it works, but the message won't go away.

Given that your original alternator was proved faulty (not charging at all) I would suggest the cause of the message is either an issue with the replacement (such as it not being the correct one for the car) or as an outside chance an error code or error flag needs clearing.

Try a Battery disconnect for 20 minutes and see if it clears the message... but I see you say the charging light is on as well so I don't really think this will help but perhaps has to be tried just to eliminate it as a cause. 

• 2 months later...

I got a hold of Toyota Techstream and did some investigations. I pulled up the live data for the charging system while I did a function test where I could control the charging voltage. No matter what voltage I requested from the alternator it showed 14.4v at the alternator (no fluctuation at all).

The Battery voltage fluctuated normally (unrelated to what I requested) and same with the alternator duty percentage. But the alternator voltage was stuck on 14.4v even when I requested 12v or 14.6v with the program.

• 6 months later...

If this might help you, my Battery voltage is about 14 V while idling.

I have the diesel 2 litre D-4D engine. Battery is amazingly 6.5 years old, despite the start/stop system, and Toyota original.

Please see the snapshot from Techstream, it shows that voltage increases while revving the engine, but nothing relevant...

battery.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links