Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prado Navigation/tv/cd System

mimic

Hi,

I'm expecting a Prado TZ 2001 from Japan next month. Problem is the system in it is in NTSC and in my country we use PAL. Is there a way to convert the TV system to PAL. Usually how many inputs (audio/video) come with the system. I'm still not sure of the model but got some pictures, could someone help me out with details of the system.

I would also like to know if I could fix a CD changer to it.

Thanks

p.s I tried to attach the pic but it's not allowed, so I can mail it if anyone who can help

lcruiser1.jpg

lcruiser2.jpg

Edited by rhaines to include photo's 07/03/03:14:20

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andy

• mimic

• zei20l

• Colin Gale

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi again ....

anyone got any idea about this system ? Wrote to a few dealers ... guess I'll have to just wait. If anyone does have any idea please let me know .... mainly wanna know if it'll work with PAL, but found a converter if it doesn't

Converters

Now wanna find out if I can fix a cd changer and how many audio/video inputs and outputs it has.

Later

Looks similar to my system , but I cant get it to work either , so it looks like it's down to one of the converters that you have mentioned , keep us posted on that front as I would like to get the Tv working , even if the Sat/Nav wont work .

Hi,

the Sat/Nav also doesn't work ??? You know how many video inputs/outputs the system has ? For the radio you got a band expander or did it just work for all the frequencies ? For the TV I saw some converters but they'll only be useful if the system got any inputs(video).

Regards

Hi

Yes I had to get a band expander only 15min to fit , make sure you get a good one though as some dont go as high on the band as others .

On the sat/nav thing I have been told that people are working on a fix for that , and that it was someone in Rochester , they might even be the same company that are doing the tv converters .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 2000 Toyota Hilux Surf fitted with a similar model of TV/SAT/NAV unit as the one shown for the Prado. Picture attached.

I'm trying to figure who manufactured the unit, there's a good chance that whoever manufactured the unit will be selling units in the UK based on the same software, even if the Unit itself looks different. If I can figure out who makes these units for Toyota then I can source some disks to try.

Currently my best guess is Panasonic, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know? As for the TV, I'm also interested in the NTSC-PAL converter.

I can't believe there's no way round this, there's got to be...

post-19-1052846546.jpg

From details that I found on the Toyota web site they use two suppliers , one was Alpine but I cant remember who the other one was .

I have found out that Toyota seem to source audio equipment from several makers , and Alpine is one because I found a Land cruiser sat nav made by Alpine.

:hokus-pokus: :thumbsup:

hi you there

this is raj from india

this is the same system used in my car

the model is i guess toyota 54060 voice nav ready

pls conform the no

the unit is by panasonic

it can accsept the local fm/am band well

pls forward the station frequensy (fm) so that i can help u in choosing the band expander

the syst takes 1 viedeo in & r+l stereo in from a fm mod.changer via a 7 pin socket on the rear

i shall be forwarding u a photograph /image soon

use fm 515 from kenwood

also if u can attach a video card (ntsc one) to the changer

same one can be used as video changer

pls keep in touch

forward me the information reg the workshop manual for kzj95 2000 model & starlet 80 series (1n diesel)

Made some progress in my search for the software for my SAT/NAV/TV unit.

As I said, mine is in a 2000 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X.

I did a search on the web using the model number (NKCN-D59). The search returned only japanese sites. Being a canny Scotsman, I translated the Japanese sites and found this one of interest...http://www.katch.ne.jp/~atsuro/navi/ This site is a "how to" buy a guy in Japan. He shows you how to fit a switch to the unit so the TV works while the vehicle is moving.

Great! Once I get the damn thing working I'll be able to do this too.

However, back to the more immediate problem. On this website there is a link to a japanese sony mobile site. http://www.mobile.sony.co.jp/fit/fit.html In this site you will find an installation manual for the NKCN-D59 it shows the unit in a Hilux Surf. I'm sure if you look around for your own model you'll find a document for your car too.

I should point out that all of this is in Japanese. Use Babel fish to do the translation. So some progress, not much but a little.

Now that I have established beyond doubt that the unit was manufactured by sony all I need to do is find lots of Sony Sat Nav software and see if any of them work.

If anyone has a source for Sony Sat Nav disks I can try out, I'd be very interested.

Hope some of you find this info useful.

Hey ... Finally got the vehicle. It's AWESOME !!!! :)

Well the Sat Nav thing still doen't work. I checked a site in singapore and there it said Kenwood !?!? I'll check a few places there cos they also do import a bit from japan, plus they also use the PAL system. I still couldn't check the video audio inputs. My model is 56040 voice navigation. I thought the best option would be to plug into the inputs the PAL to NTSC converter and then leave the connectors in a place so when ever you want to connect an mps player or portable vcd or dvd player it can easily be done.

The TV thing to get it in PAL I think will be a problem as it's within the system, so might even mess the whole system .

Well anyway wil let you'll know of the progress. Anyone know if the Japanese menus etc can be changed to English ? Can't understand nothing !! !! :) :)

oh well ... later

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i have a 97 Prado with a toyota CD/NAV/TAPE/SCREEN.

I also have problems with it being in Jap, No Nav, No TV.

Have you had any luck with getting yours working yet ?

Let me Know

:)

Still nothing yet ... just use the cd and radio only. Have to get a band expander. Do you think ther is a way to get the Sat/Nav system to play dvd's ? The disk inside the Sat Nav system is a DVD so ..... what do you think ? There must be some mod to do ...

I will be talking to a aquaintence overseas as I think I may be able to get the DVD's for the Toyota Sat NAV (all of Europe inc UK) at a very good price, will let you know how I get on...

Hi,

I'm thinking of selling the above system shown above. Around how much do you think I would be able to get for it ? Without Speakers, just the TV/CD/Tape and Sat/Nav unit. Let me know.

Thanks

Hi I have a Toyota prado TZ with a Toyota 56009 TV/CD/Tape..but having trouble using coz it is all in japanese...so does anyone have the manual on how to use this damn thing....

Thank You ;0 Really need your helllpp...

I will be talking to a aquaintence overseas as I think I may be able to get the DVD's for the Toyota Sat NAV (all of Europe inc UK) at a very good price, will let you know how I get on...

nice one - right after I pay £360 for the new DVD for mine

:(

still - good news for gold members eh?

Hi Andy, I wrote to those guys but no reply yet ... told the whole problem but nothing. Has anyone removed this current system from their vehicle, haven't done that yet .. but want to know what additional connectors are there ... inputs .. outputs, audio/video ?

Thanks

Mimic

I removed mine today and this is what its like , not sure if it has the correct cables or not , so I will send the pics to that company and see what they say , its a bit older than your set as its in a 96 Hilux Surf .

post-19-1055869288.jpg

Ah ha ... so that's what it looks like in the back ... I'll also forward to a few places, see what we can get. How much do you think anyone would offer to buy this ? Since I don't really want the Sat/Nav ... thought if selling it off and getting one with dvd ... and so on :)

or keep this system just for the radio tape and cd, and get another unit just diplay and external dvd ... saw a package at theZeb like the Panasonic combo.

another display on top will look good :), with the currentone :)

later

Guess what I found this guy who said he can sort out my system. Didn't get to see a sample but he said he can

Fix the NTSC problem so I can recieve PAL TV

Fix a bandexpander so I can get all the channels

Allow me to connect external inputs, vcd,dvd,mp3, etc

He said can do all this for around GBP220.

He also said for about GBP40 I could even get a reverse cam fixed.

Let me know if you'll think this is worth it.

Sounds ok to me as long as he does the job ok , it's better than having to buy a completely new setup .

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

im new and live in australia

i have the deck you are speaking about and have got some information for you. the deck in question is made my Fujitsu Ten. they werent released outside japan so there are no english instructions or map discs for it. however i believe there are pal to ntsc converters that exist for this unit

also, someone asked if they could add a stacker to their unit. yes, all toyota head unit wiring is the same. to find a stacker from any other toyota and it will fit. pity nissan didnt think of that lol

my deck is slightly different to all yours, instead of having tape, mind has MD instead. also, my volume is a button not the dial like i see yours are.

im wondering how your antennas are mounted on your cars. my car doesnt have any visible antennas, the radio one is located in the rear windscreen. i dont want to go pulling out glass to install the tv antennas. has anyone used any aftermarket ones?? if its going to be too much trouble i might just buy an AUS screen with our tuner and put that in.

but damn our decks look awesome! i like the look of the silver finish. mine is black like most of the others. has anyone in australia got this working properly that i can have a look at? or does anyone here have a converter installed already they can take photos of (mainly the loom) so i can do my own, and maybe help out some of you guys here by making a kit thats ready to go?

thanks and sorry for the long message :)

Guess what I found this guy who said he can sort out my system. Didn't get to see a sample but he said he can

Fix the NTSC problem so I can recieve PAL TV

Fix a bandexpander so I can get all the channels

Allow me to connect external inputs, vcd,dvd,mp3, etc

He said can do all this for around GBP220.

He also said for about GBP40 I could even get a reverse cam fixed.

Let me know if you'll think this is worth it.

Sounds a good price to me.

Do you have contact details for this guy please?

Have you had the work done? Is he any good?

Further Info just in - Toyota UK are introducing a DVD Voice Navigation System for the Previa - the disk may be compatible . . . .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links