Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

toyota verso 2014 lack of power, engine shaking, please help

jasonyu

there was sound from back of the engine few months ago, it getting louder recently, took it to the local garage and they guess is the timing train, continue drive for a week, then the engine failed, start up okay, but engine has no much power,  it stop suddenly sometime. Please anyone had same issue before? please advice

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about your poorly engine.

Others here will be for more knowledgable than me but you'll be asked to supply more detail on your problem.

What engine do you have in the veicle, in 2014 Toyota began using a BMW 1.6 engine?

What mileage has the engine done, has it had regular oil changes with correct spec oil?

Do you have any dash warning lights showing?

Have you been able to connect an obd scanner and read the codes?

If you your local garage is "a trusted one" and they advised this was a timing chain problem, which is a serious issue, why continue to drive the vehicle rather than having it looked at by a decent mechanic?

Only saving grace, I can see is that you're still able to start and run the engine but the lack of power and cutting out could have many different causes, even beyond the timing chain needing attention.

Sure someone better equipped than me will be along to advise you further.

19 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about your poorly engine.

Others here will be for more knowledgable than me but you'll be asked to supply more detail on your problem.

What engine do you have in the veicle, in 2014 Toyota began using a BMW 1.6 engine?

What mileage has the engine done, has it had regular oil changes with correct spec oil?

Do you have any dash warning lights showing?

Have you been able to connect an obd scanner and read the codes?

If you your local garage is "a trusted one" and they advised this was a timing chain problem, which is a serious issue, why continue to drive the vehicle rather than having it looked at by a decent mechanic?

Only saving grace, I can see is that you're still able to start and run the engine but the lack of power and cutting out could have many different causes, even beyond the timing chain needing attention.

Sure someone better equipped than me will be along to advise you further.

Hi Derek,

thanks for viewing and reply.

it is bmw1.6 engine,

120500miles, been serviced last May at about 100000miles,

the local garage did the major service,

no dash warning,

yes, the car still running but the engine wasn't shaking like that much.

I know, it is old car, so I was thinking it may last longer than expect, it was crashed before at the passenger side  front wing and light and left bumper, but as I know it wasnt damaged to anywhere near engine, even the battery(close to passenger side) is fine no any damage. I been driving for 4 moths after crash been repaired, until the sound come from back of the engine.

Like I said Jason I'm not the most knowledgable here.

Doubt the accident damage has anything to do with this problem even though it happened only a few months back.

My first thought is that it could either be a stretched timing chain or the tensioner(s) have worn badly and may have allowed the chain to jump a link. This would put the timing out and could be the reason you can start and run but the engine lacks power.

Have a read of the link below, also from this forum:-

This particualr BMW engine has always had issues with the timing chain. I know this for fact as my son bought a 2007 BMW 118d with 100k miles, which had the same engine. He was fortunate in that it had just had the timing chain replaced before he purchased it in 2015. Think he was lucky as he didn't have problems with it though it did pray on his mind as the mileage went up. He had that car for 7yrs and put about 50k on it and was running well until someone wrote it off in a non stop RTC. I do know that this engine, the N47, doesn't have a normal timing chain arrangement in that the chain and gear isn;t placed at the front end of the engine as most manufacturers do! It's at the rear and therefore between the engine and the clutch/transmission. Replacing the chain and tensioners etc entails spliting the engine and gear box and then some and most be a big undertaking.

I hate to say this Jason but unless you're really good with the spanners and have a lot of experience and have the means to take the engine and gearbox out then this wilI be a hugely expensive job to have done.

Others here may be able to advise you better than me though!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links