Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sticky manual gear change

Jaypak

Hia. 

After lots of research, head scratching, frustration, stripping bits of dashboard, fiddling under the car , greasing cable bushes, breaking the centre console etc, I cured the stiff gear stick in about 2 minutes with approximately 0.5 pence worth of grease. 

The symptoms manifested by the gear lever being very reluctant to pull backwards after being engaged in 1st , 3 rd and 5th. ( wish it had a 6th ).

With my wife shifting gears , I was looking under the bonnet at the mechanisms’ movement. 

I moved a plastic box out of the way. I don’t know what it is. It has a pipe from air intake hose going into it and a pipe out. 

This box lifts about 25 millimetres, (  I sprayed the slot with a lube to help it, wiggling to release , wearing gloves cos it gives suddenly), then moves towards the engine to disengage from the slotted bracket and lifted and tilted to get a view of the gear cables. 

Watching how they moved, I got my beloved to put it in 4th to extend the forward most cable  ( there are 2 and I’d already greased the rear most as it was obvious) , pulled back the gaiter applied a bit of grease on the cable, replaced gaiter, job done. Smooth gear change. 

I hope this saves someone all the hassle I had. 

Happy days. 
Will add photos if possible 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links