Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

C-HR 2023 courtesy car

Niky

Left my 1.8 TS for its second service today and been given a 2023 C-HR 1.8GR with 300 miles on the clock as a courtesy car. First time in a CHR ever

I found it alright, but inside not near as good as the corolla. Those rear windows are so tiny, it must be horrible to be a passenger there. It is so dark in the CHR, even the front windows are smaller than the Corolla. The door arm rest is quite far, and although I am quite high I couldn't rest my hand on the door and be able to reach the steering wheel - so annoying. The dash is also quite complicated....there are people complaining of how simple the Corolla's dash layout is.... I love it even more than before now. Steering wheel settings are also very odd on the CHR - I couldn't work out how to set the cruise control on - just gave up at the end and decided not to waste my time. There was quite a lot of wind noise coming from the windscreen, also tyre noise from the rear of the car. Think 19inch wheels for such a car is a bit too much.....

Not saying the CHR is a bad car - not at all, I just didn't like it, but now I definitely love my 1.8 TS even more than before!!!

• Like 5

Does it still have analogue dials on the dash? I test drove one a couple of years ago and the salesman seemed most put out when I said I wasn't interested unless it had a modern dash. He tried to point out how good it looked from the outside but I responded by saying I can't see the outside when I'm driving - only the dashboard 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Sure!y it is down to personal choice. Some C-HR owners wouldn't consider the Corolla. That's life.

In Birmingham, we have some taxi firms using the C-HR as taxis in preference to the Corolla.

Aside from the above the C-HR is an older design dating back to 2016, and the new second generation is due next year.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Does it still have analogue dials on the dash? I test drove one a couple of years ago and the salesman seemed most put out when I said I wasn't interested unless it had a modern dash. He tried to point out how good it looked from the outside but I responded by saying I can't see the outside when I'm driving - only the dashboard 🙂

Yes, the dash is with analogue deals. I didn't spend much time playing with the settings and menu, but generally didn't like the layout and found it much more complicated compared to the Corolla

They have the MY23 Corolla in the showroom here. I can't see any difference on the outside, on the inside (car isn't started) almost no difference too, apart of the bigger infotainment screen and the model here got a wireless phone charger- not sure if all models have this now

Everything else looks pretty much the same as mine. Really want to test drive one to see whats it is like driving one, but I am worried I may like it......😀

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Niky said:

Yes, the dash is with analogue deals. I didn't spend much time playing with the settings and menu, but generally didn't like the layout and found it much more complicated compared to the Corolla

They have the MY23 Corolla in the showroom here. I can't see any difference on the outside, on the inside (car isn't started) almost no difference too, apart of the bigger infotainment screen and the model here got a wireless phone charger- not sure if all models have this now

Everything else looks pretty much the same as mine. Really want to test drive one to see whats it is like driving one, but I am worried I may like it......😀

Same car will most likely drive the same. Better screen and dashboard instruments for sure. If you have a Corolla no need to buy another 2023. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Same car will most likely drive the same. Better screen and dashboard instruments for sure. If you have a Corolla no need to buy another 2023

Definitely not looking for a new car at the moment, however if I was, considering the current prices and the experience I have with my Corolla, I would most likely be looking to a 2-3 years old Lexus ES300H. This is what I would like to do in 2.5 years once the PCP comes to an end- if the budget allows of course.  Alternatively I will just keep my Corolla for another 2-3 years

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Sure!y it is down to personal choice. Some C-HR owners wouldn't consider the Corolla. That's life.

In Birmingham, we have some taxi firms using the C-HR as taxis in preference to the Corolla.

Aside from the above the C-HR is an older design dating back to 2016, and the new second generation is due next year.

I concur. It's definitely down to personal choice. I personally don't like the Corolla, but absolutely love my C-HR. I find the controls to be intuitive and easy to use, including the cruise control.

But, that's just my personal taste 

• Like 2

My Dad & I have a CHR & a Corolla ( I have the latter), I like the simplicity of the corollas interior, particularly the climate controls. The CHR has a nicer steering wheel & much more soft touch materials. My Dad’s GR-Sport CHR has the upgraded alcantara seats which are lovely - much nicer than the cloth in my corolla. I think the CHR has better soundproofing for the engine as (despite us both having the 2.0) it’s much quieter in the CHR than mine. 

interestingly the CHR has more headroom in the rear that the Corolla TS (just a little bit). The CHR’s boot is quite unremarkable compared to the Corolla TS. 

• Like 2

It's good to have a "side by side" comparison. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gray86 said:

interestingly the CHR has more headroom in the rear that the Corolla TS (just a little bit). The CHR’s boot is quite unremarkable compared to the Corolla TS. 

I looked at the CHR before choosing my Corolla TS to order.  I dismissed as sales said there was no spare wheel option, and also the car was more expensive than a Corolla.  

The pot holes hereabouts, together with previous experiences,  mean that I would not wish to own a car without some form of spare wheel.

But the CHR is maybe a more trendy looking car format (whatever that means), and sells well so it cant be bad.

I have had both and prefer some aspects of one over the other which is as to be expected.

Overall I'd say that I prefer the Corolla although this is skewed somewhat as that is a 2.0 Excel whereas the CHR was a 1.8 Excel and the 2.0 engine is significantly stronger(albeit less fuel efficient by 5/10mpg)

Maybe if id had a 2.0 CHR my preference would swing the other way?? I certainly preferred the slightly elevated driving position.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 5:07 PM, TonyHSD said:

Same car will most likely drive the same. Better screen and dashboard instruments for sure. If you have a Corolla no need to buy another 2023. 

All reviews say that it drives much much better , more refined than the previous generation(s). 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

I looked at the CHR before choosing my Corolla TS to order.  I dismissed as sales said there was no spare wheel option, and also the car was more expensive than a Corolla.  

The pot holes hereabouts, together with previous experiences,  mean that I would not wish to own a car without some form of spare wheel.

But the CHR is maybe a more trendy looking car format (whatever that means), and sells well so it cant be bad.

You can get a Toyota spare wheel kit (from Toyota direct parts) for both the 1.8 and 2.0 CHR, BUT not as an option at point of sale. 

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/category/toyota-c-hr/toyota-c-hr-mk-1/c-hr-mk-1-accessories/

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 8:59 PM, Gray86 said:

I think the CHR has better soundproofing for the engine as (despite us both having the 2.0) it’s much quieter in the CHR 

In terms of noise I agree with this. Both my Corolla and the C-HR, I had for the day are 1.8, and the latter had less noise coming from the engine compared to mine. There was however lots of very annoying tyre noise coming from the back in the C-HR,  not as much in the front - it could be a very quiet car if it was well insulated. Mine was also very noisy(on the motorway) before, but I have put some sound deadening in all 4 doors, also in the boot. I think they are pretty much the same vehicles and the noise probably is/was pretty much the same, but I can confirm having extra sound insulation in the boot and doors, my car is very much quieter compared to the C-HR. 

I wasn't sure if there was any difference until I drove the CHR

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links