Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airgun Hobby

Hybrid21

I've recently resurrected my old BSA Airsporter airgun, gave it a good clean and oil, fitted a new scope, and bought a tin of .22 pellets 😃

I also bought a couple of airgun magazines and amazed at how airguns and pistols have come on over the last 50 years 😲

Anyone into the hobby ?  Appreciate info and comments.

• Like 1

Well yes, my Webley is now over 60 years old.  Only a 177 pistol but I can get a good line and close to a target at 30-40 yards.  Fair old aim up there. 

I got rid of my rifle 5 years ago as we downsized and I didn't have a safe firing zone. 

In the preceding decades many rules have been brought it. One in particular is not carrying the weapon openly in public. 

I remember at school being shot at my village youths. We were annoyed but it never crossed our minds to report it. 

Or a friend, later editor of a national newspaper, who let off a starter pistol on a train.  The guard simply confiscated it. 

Imagine today, armed police would respond to both incidents.  My friend would never have been what he was. 

• Like 2

Yes mainly 177 field target, but also pistol

BSA R10 Mk1.5 in 177, Scorpion single shot in 177, Meteor in 22

Mk2 Merlin Jr in 177 in a pile of bits (circa 1965) ex Boys Brigade

Brocock AimX GP pistol

not been out for 4-5 years as 2 clubs have gone, and the public are very anti gun, one glimps of a case and it worries people

• Like 3

I belong to a shooting club that caters for airgunners and firearms enthusiasts.

The airgun technology is very different today than when I was a youth with most favouring PCP's (pre-charged pneumatics) whereby the gun has its own supply of high pressure air (in the region of 200Bar). this makes for an incredibly accurate and easy to use gun.

My rifle is a German Weihrauch HW100

• Like 3

My old man bought me a .22 Wembley mk3 with scope when I was 10 back in 65 and I've still got , hasn't  been used for about 40 yrs. I upgraded to shotguns and firearms but got shut of them of after Dunblane.

• Like 2

My neighbour had a very good air rifle and used to shoot pigeons.  He would also shoot across out garden.  One day we had a dead pigeon and told him to shift it. 

Another time there was an injured one in his garden but he was away when I saw it.  I am pleased to say I managed to despatch it with 2 shots. 

• Like 2

Iain, I like the grip.  I was once at a club where Bob Hassel used to shoot. In those days they made their own hand grips using dental paste. 

The problem with these look a like guns is they can be mistaken for the real deal.  I think my Webley cost me £5.  More recently, about 20 years ago my Chinese gas powered rifle came with a case, suppressor, and optical sight and cost around £100.

I could not justify spending more. 

Regarding the pistol you show with windage correction, I can see that in target shooting, but I don't see and purpose in that.  A rifle, yes, pistol, no. 

I see the purpose of a pistol is snap shooting. 

• Like 2

Back in the day I had two, both sold now, a .177 rifle and a pistol; both made by 'Original' I think?

Happy days.

• Like 1

I've never had a pistol and like the idea that it's small and easy to handle. May be able to allow my grandson to learn how to use it, supervised of course 🙂 my Airsporter is far too heavy.

If I was to go for one I would need to decide whether a  .177 or .22 ?  My rifle is a .22

i did have a play with a .25 PCP that beast was FAC only running about 35 ft lb (on a licenced range)

I have overkill Hawke Sidewinder 8x32 56mm with sunshade that wasn't cheap but compared to something like Zeiss or Walther it is budget

• Like 1

I would opt for the same size, 22.

Pistol wise, rather than the lookalike automatic I think I would opt for a proper target pistol, a grip that fits in the hand and a long barrel for aiming and accuracy.  I think you can get an optical sight as well. 

For a rifle for birds and rodents I would opt for a suppressor. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links