Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can I say hello with a Mazda 2 Hybrid

Habu

My wife, who loves her Mazdas has just bought a new Mazda 2 Hybrid.  As you’ll know it’s 99.9% a Yaris bar the badges and a couple of trim details.  The Mazda 2 Hybrid forum isn’t exactly a thing so can I say hello on this forum?  It would be interesting to see what the differences are and if we have the same observations.  The thing I’d like to change are the 2 incandescent light bulbs in the ceiling to LED especially as there’s, bizarrely, no lighting in the rear.  Also, does the new Yaris have native navigation?  The Mazda relies entirely on Apple CarPlay or AA.  
Cheers for now

Peter

Welcome! It'll be interesting to see if there are other differences other than the Badge swaps!

I think the Mazda 2, esp. the top spec one, has more stuff than the Toyota one, and less insane wheel size choices.

re. the lights, anchs did the LED swap along with several other mods in this thread:

re. the navigation, the original run of the Yaris also didn't have satnav, even as an option on the top spec. I believe the newer ones now get it but they lose other things like JBL sound and the head-up display.

• Like 2

Specs do vary from country to country, so what is available in the UK may be different to elsewhere.

Yeah, the Mazda 2 Hybrid Select trim in the UK gets the HUD which was one of the appeals as her previous 2 Mazdas had it.  I think the top trim Yaris gets a slightly bigger screen (9” vs 8”) but she preferred the seat trim in the Mazda but otherwise they’re identical.  I think the head on shot of the Yaris and Mazda look epic.

• Like 1

Mazda gets HUD and different seat material, otherwise they're the same.

Please include the Mazda 2 in your profile.

I had a look at the Mazda 2 just after I sold our Yaris mk4. They do look exactly the same, but one thing holds the Mazda above the Yaris imo. Where it’s built! 

I believe the 2 is built in Japan, where Yaris is built in France. I’d much rather have a Jap built car. 

5 minutes ago, Starensis said:

I believe the 2 is built in Japan

It is a Europe only model and is built alongside the Yaris in France - helps Mazda bring down their fleet average emissions.

The Japan built petrol Mazda 2 (non Yaris) continues to be sold alongside the hybrid.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cyker said:

And wireless charging...

Bizarrely, wife’s iPhone 11 Pro Max charges but not my 14 Pro Max even though they are similar physical size.

18 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It is a Europe only model and is built alongside the Yaris in France - helps Mazda bring down their fleet average emissions.

The Japan built petrol Mazda 2 (non Yaris) continues to be sold alongside the hybrid.

That’s correct.  It’s built on the Yaris line in France because it’s basically a Yaris.

OK. Sales guy I spoke to said it was built in Japan. Suppose I should have checked the VIN on showroom model. 🙄

1 minute ago, Starensis said:

Sales guy I spoke to said it was built in Japan.

You can always tell when a car salesman is lying -

his lips are moving  😉 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Habu said:

Bizarrely, wife’s iPhone 11 Pro Max charges but not my 14 Pro Max even though they are similar physical size.

Assuming Apple haven't done what they usually do and crippled it in favour of their own proprietary standard on their newer model, it might just be the receiver plate is in a different position or smaller on the phone so you need to slide it around for it to find it...?

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Assuming Apple haven't done what they usually do and crippled it in favour of their own proprietary standard on their newer model, it might just be the receiver plate is in a different position or smaller on the phone so you need to slide it around for it to find it...?

That’s just what’s happened, the iPhone 11 has standard wireless charging where as the 14 has Apples magsafe charging 

Ahh, please excuse my total lack of surprise!

1 hour ago, Ralph H said:

That’s just what’s happened, the iphone 11 has standard wireless charging where as the 14 has Apples magsafe charging 

Thanks, that makes sense.  Mine happily charges in my Kia on the Qi plate but I’m not too bothered as I generally don’t use wireless charging in the car.  I prefer a cable connection.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links