Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Service by Dealership - Approved Used

PeterThePiper

I recently bought an Approved Used 2019 Yaris. As part of the sale the dealer offered to Service and MOT the car.

On viewing the Service history I can see it was due a major Service but the dealer on performed a minor.

Their reason is that all the inspections are part of their 140 point check anyway and a full service would only replace the air filter.

I am concerned this may affect the vehicles warranty.

Is this common practice?

Service intervals are yearly or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Presumably the service  was due on the time basis rather than the mileage basis?? 

'a full service would only replace the air filter.' Who told you this - sales or service??

The full service also includes the brake fluid change, so it isn't just the air filter.

I'd write to the dealer principal and highlight your concerns over not having the correct service carried out before collection, and possible effects on the remainder of the new car warranty.

• Like 2

Yes very common if its only done low miles since the previous service, and TBH they make more money

replace the cabin filter and air filter yourself as these never get touched

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Service intervals are yearly or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Presumably the service  was due on the time basis rather than the mileage basis?? 

'a full service would only replace the air filter.' Who told you this - sales or service??

The full service also includes the brake fluid change, so it isn't just the air filter.

I'd write to the dealer principal and highlight your concerns over not having the correct service carried out before collection, and possible effects on the remainder of the new car warranty.

Yes it was a time based service, it has only done 3k since it's last service.

It was sales who mentioned the air filter.  I too noticed brake fluid and the pollen filter should also be changed.

Would my best bet ask them to replace air filter, pollen filter and brake fluid to match a full service?

• Like 1

If the service book stated it needed a full service then that should be done regardless of a 140 point check and excuses it only needs to replace the air filter.

The same argument can be had for someone that has only done a  thousand miles in a year, why does it need a oil change etc etc because that's the terms of the stated service.

Assuming this was a Toyota dealer they know this so no excuses. Tell them you want the full service in line with the required book schedule.

Sounds like trying to make a bit more profit to me.

• Like 3

I wonder if when you come to trade it in, they'll say it hasn't been serviced according to specifications?

• Like 4

Thank you for your replies

My concern is that simply performing the additional replacement maintenance does not correct the fact that a minor service has been recorded when it should have had a full service.

Talking to the serevice manager they were only willing to perform the additional maintenance and not the full inspection list as they are adament that the 140 point cheeck covers it.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, PeterThePiper said:

Thank you for your replies

My concern is that simply performing the additional replacement maintenance does not correct the fact that a minor service has been recorded when it should have had a full service.

Talking to the serevice manager they were only willing to perform the additional maintenance and not the full inspection list as they are adament that the 140 point cheeck covers it.

Lawyer time, IMHO.

• Like 1

Last few posts explain it all 👍 This 140 point inspection it’s only on paper or a word from the sales person and like most other trades just a blah blah. You can ask them to change the filters and brake fluid plus stamp the book , correct the service as full instead so you can maintain clear record for the car within their system., just to be on the safe side if any future warranty claim arises. Again dealers are on the wrong side. Why is it so difficult to these men involved in the car trade to follow up simply the rules, do the job correctly and save themselves and customers a lots of hassle. Toyota used approved cars aren’t any better than a car bought from Facebook, gumtree, eBay or bca, full of trouble vehicle, the only difference it’s the price. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Why is it so difficult to these men involved in the car trade to follow up simply the rules

Volume sales mean customer satisfaction and retention is not a priority. 

In contrast, we had a local firm replace our front door. The market is obviously limited and a good reputation is vital. The glass was scratched, they will replace the door next week. 

• Like 3

With a dealer/ trader your main protection is the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Any "checks" they made prior to the sale are most likely to try and protect them not you.

After an email to their Director they have now agreed to complete all the work required in the correct service and update the system to reflect this.

• Like 6

That's good to hear and everyone who faces the same situation must stand up for their rights and entitlement. If companies are allowed to get away with things like this they will see it as the norm and it's us that will end up paying for their greed.👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterThePiper said:

With a dealer/ trader your main protection is the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Any "checks" they made prior to the sale are most likely to try and protect them not you.

After an email to their Director they have now agreed to complete all the work required in the correct service and update the system to reflect this.

Awesome.  Any dealer specific checks should have no connection at all to meeting the manufacturer service schedule.   But they rely on people not knowing or not being willing to stand their ground.

• Like 5

Same happened to us, should have have a major service but because it hadn't travelled far, they only did a minor and expected me to pay for a major 2k miles later, told them were to go and I changed the air filter cabin filter myself and the plugs, it won't be seeing a main stealer again, it is a 65plate now with 50k on the clock.

• Like 5

They Stealer who we bought the car from contacted us again yesterday, must have rung us 3 times in the last 6wks, and asked if we'd like to change the car, told them at 51k currant miles and £30 road tax under £200 a year insurance, why would we when we only travel around 3k miles a year, may as well run it into the floor.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links