Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low pitch sound/rumble/vibrations

Marius991

Hello, I'm looking for advice. I have Toyota Auris Touring 1.8 Hybrid 2017 year production it's same drivetrain like 2017 prius. I have problem with ICE, when it's cold air outside -6 celsius (21.2F) or below ICE produces low pitch humble, you can feel slight vibration from steering wheel and from cabin. This occurs 50km/h to 82 km/h range (30-50mph). at constant speed.
When it's warmer than -6C (21.2F) everything is good.
Dealership doesn't want to look, because dash is not throwing any light or message.
I have done Battery health test and Battery is good.
Oil change and filters was done about 2000km ago.
Antifreeze is right level, car doesn't burn oil.
Tyres air pressure is good and wheels balanced.
Gas is always been E5 (98 octane). For US friends its 93.
I used bottle of injector cleaner and no effect taken.
Driving on electricity at same mentioned speeds car doesn't have any sort vibration, only on ICE is vibrations.
Why cold air have such effect? 
Egr freezes?
Coil packs don't like cold air?
Spark plugs don't like cold air?
Or is it normal to behave like that?

Have good day

Is it mechanical vibrations or misfires? You probably need to look at live data on a scanner to see misfires, fuel trims whatever to gather clues 

Hi, 

what is the mileage of the car? These rumbling and vibrations are typical for this hybrid set up and usually are most pronounced at around 40mph at low engine load. If the car has blocked egr system or worn out engine/transmission mount the vibrations would be felt stronger. In cold weather perhaps the mounts are harder and transmit those typical vibrations and rumbling more. Just check the 4 mounts and if nothing else is worn or lose there is nothing to worry about. If the car has 100000 or more miles egr system clean highly recommended. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for advice TonyHSD, by the way my mileage 170 000km or 106 000 miles, I assume it's time to change pcv valve, clean egr, throttle body and intake.

Saxmaniac I think more to mechanical vibration than misfire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marius991 said:

Thanks for advice TonyHSD, by the way my mileage 170 000km or 106 000 miles, I assume it's time to change pcv valve, clean egr, throttle body and intake.

Saxmaniac I think more to mechanical vibration than misfire.

You are welcome.
The mechanical vibrations can be indeed as a result of a engine misfire. Definitely a right time for a cleaning job. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links