Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clicking from rear

Tony.Rogers

Just bought a 1.3 iW3 CVT and initial impressions are that it's excellent.

One tiny issue, there's a clicking coming from the rear of the car when driving. It's speed related, and it disappears when applying the brakes even lightly.

I have jacked the car up but I can't her anything obvious when I rotate the wheel, but that is probably because I can't spin it quickly enough.

I plan to pull the discs off & have  good look at the pads too, but thought I'd ask if anyone who has more familiarity with these cars had any other suggestions.

Thanks n advance.

Odd one....sounds like your pretty handy....the whole rear end as in springs and dampers take literally minutes to take out....pull it all out and inspect, put all back together again and test ? The reason i say that is i had a weird knocking coming from all over the bottom of mine after a clutch replacement and took pot luck and randomly tighened everything up underneath the car and it turned out to be the front subframe not being tight enough...but it felt tight when i retightened it....! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

or if youre sure its coming from the back of the car...get someone in the back to listen and, i might say - sounds weird but put the seats down as this damps some of the road noise...your passenger might be able to hear a bit more than you then....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony, maybe a bit late...

I had the same on my iQ and it was caused by a veeery subtle gap between the black plastic skin on the inner weel cover and the car's chasis. The gap was caused by one of the (three, I think) clips securing the skin to the surrounding metal. Possibly after a parking bump, the clip's flex expander got broken and didn't exert the required blocking pressure anymore. As the clip remained in position though, it took a while to find out the problem, which only showed up with some 'clacking' when you inserted your hand between the tyre and the skin and tapped on it with your fingers slightly.

The gap was as small as 1 mm or less! Even though, when driving above some 30 mph (and depending on wind's direction), the aerodinamic turbulence created inside the wheel's housing produced a really audible -and annoying- rattle. 

I first confirmed this by removing the clip, adding some 2-mm thick foam padding to fill  the gap and putting the (broken) clip back in place. Then I purchased 8-mm replacement clips in Amazon for a more permanent fix.

Hope this helps! Cheers.

iq - rear wheel housing skin & clip.png

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 7:59 AM, Tony.Rogers said:

Just bought a 1.3 iW3 CVT and initial impressions are that it's excellent.

Is it too late to raise it with the seller? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links