Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashcam Not Working With Piggyback Connector

dannyboy413

I have a Nextbase Dash Camera, along with a rear view camera. Everything has worked fine in the two previous Corollas, but I can not get it to work in the Yaris Cross using the piggyback connector. I have tried allsorts, (even liquorice), over the last two days, but am stumped. I have sent an email to Nextbase asking for help and to save me doing it all again, wot I writ is shown below -

'I have the Nextbase 622 Dashcam, rear camera along with the hard wire kit, which was fitted to my 2021 Toyota Corolla and worked perfectly. The cameras and hard wire kit were removed as I changed my car to a Toyota Yaris Cross, 2023 model. I have fitted the front camera and hard wire kit to the Yaris, but the camera does not work in the car. I am using the 12v accessory fuse, the car fuse is plugged in to the piggy back fuse and the accessory socket works, so power is getting through the piggy back. If I connect the camera to my computer, it works fine – the blue power light and red recording lights illuminate. If I connect the camera to the car 12v accessory socket, it works as it should. When using the piggy back fuse, I have tried various earthing points in case that was the problem but it makes no difference. 

I have followed instructions on your website and other sites and have formatted the (Nextbase 64GB), memory card and reset the camera, but I can not get it to work with the hard wire kit. Do you have any advice or suggestions please?"

Pending getting a reply from Nextbase, has anybody else had a similar problem or can assist in any way? All replies will be dealt with in the strictest confidence. 😁

It should be straightforward David.  Check that you are definitely getting power at your last connection on the input and your first at the output and if you are, it’s connections or cables.  Assume nothing, check at every point or Nextbase will embarrass you 😉

I can see your issue and I have a next base Dashcam in my current Aygo, the dealer fitted this, I asked them to swop it to my New Cross when it arrives and they said the Labour time would not justify that and to have a new one fitted, well that costs just over £300 , so I want to remove it from my car and put it into the cross myself, how hard is this and how do I connect it , ie power location etc .

Have you checked the fuse ? Or it could be a bad connection

I can't really help because you have already written, in your e-mail, that various earthing points have been tried.

I did have a problem with the hard wiring of my Blackvue not powering on. Yes, silly me had used a bolt that wasn't connected to the car's body!

Well I have had a reply from Nextbase. I realise that we all have different abilities and skills, but they must think I am an imbecile! I told them that I had moved the camera etc from the previous car, so I must have some idea of what I am doing. The reply basically states that there is a small box in the hardwire set which has a blue LED. This LED will work if it is connected to a power source and an earth and then adds "If the blue light is not flashing, it could be that you do not have an earth connection or power connection.". (I never thought of that). It also adds that if I am still having problems, to send them a photograph. Of what? :huh: (My garden, my late, very missed. dog, Sandra Bullock?).

Anyway, I have replied, politely and without sarcasm, virtually repeating myself but also asking if it is possible that the piggyback fuse thing is allowing power through to the accessory socket, but not to the camera - possibly because the fuses in the fusebox, (under the glove box), are low profile mini fuses. We will see...........

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

Well I have had a reply from Nextbase. I realise that we all have different abilities and skills, but they must think I am an imbecile! I told them that I had moved the camera etc from the previous car, so I must have some idea of what I am doing. The reply basically states that there is a small box in the hardwire set which has a blue LED. This LED will work if it is connected to a power source and an earth and then adds "If the blue light is not flashing, it could be that you do not have an earth connection or power connection.". (I never thought of that). It also adds that if I am still having problems, to send them a photograph. Of what? :huh: (My garden, my late, very missed. dog, Sandra Bullock?).

Anyway, I have replied, politely and without sarcasm, virtually repeating myself but also asking if it is possible that the piggyback fuse thing is allowing power through to the accessory socket, but not to the camera - possibly because the fuses in the fusebox, (under the glove box), are low profile mini fuses. We will see...........

I wouldn’t mind a picture of Sandra Bullock.  Yes, it is possible so get your meter on and check it.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links