Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Locked Out Of My Rav4. Neither fob nor key works!

iana2

As above, I tried  to open the car (2017 Rav4) with the fob, alarm went off, and then stopped when fob pressed again. Did this several times and  eventually alarm stopped after about 5 minutes. Door would not open. Tried the manual key, no luck.

Any ideas about how to get into it?

Thanks

Hi, 

ypu can spray wd-40 into the lock and wait half an hour, meanwhile you can visit local shop or dealer if you have any at walking distance and replace the key fob Battery. If after new Battery still no luck the lock should have eased a bit and you can turn the manual key. You can also have a drained 12v Battery, something to check too. 
Good luck .

• Like 2

What Tony says.

And Tony,if 12v Battery drained, does that old trick of hooking up a 12v supply via one of the repeater indicators work on modern cars , do you know?

As in powering the locks.

• Like 1

Nope, as it's all electronically controlled, i didn't think they made cars with trafficators still 😉

if it's keyless use the emergency key in the lock, tape the plastic end up and use some grips or pliers to turn the key, leverage is your friend, the physical locks never get used and gum up with dust and dirt, you just need to spray the snot out off them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks folks, to be clear the emergency key does not open the door, it turns fine but does not unlock. I'm fairly sure the car Battery is dead which is I think a factor. The fob's Battery is fine. If the car Battery is dead, can the emergency key still open the car?

• Like 2

It should do, that's why it's there.

If the key turns in both directions and the lock does not activate the internal mechanism, then something broke inside the door.

Maybe roadside service can help, if you have it.

• Like 1

RAC probably simulated a crash so sensors open door.

Or just maybe the nice man has a key fob Battery for you.

By the time the RAC arrived the Solar Charger had recharged the Battery enough for the emergency key to work.

47 minutes ago, iana2 said:

By the time the RAC arrived the Solar Charger had recharged the battery enough for the emergency key to work.

That makes no sense, the emergency key operates a mechanical system that has no reliance on the 12 V system to function.  If it did not work then there is a mechanical problem.  Or, you did not have the strength to turn the key fully.

• Like 2

The physical lock is purely mechanical, More than likely the penetrant had time to soak in jiggling the lock also helped

As per my last post, the emergence key has little leverage, and you can't get enough torque on the key

• Like 2

Moved to the Rav4 forum.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links