Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 doesn't start

suki88

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my 2001 Rav 4 2l. auto.Sometimes for no apparent reason it won't start,sometimes clicks,other times just completely dead and if I wait,say 5 or 10 minutes it starts perfectly like normal.So far it has always started again but I'm obviously worried if I get stranded at the shops or somewhere. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem ?

Thanks in advance 

Haven’t owned an older RAV but you says ‘clicks’ which might indicate a loose Battery connection?

Check all your HT cables for corrosion and deterioration. Particularly at the starter motor connection and Battery end. I had a similar issue many years ago and it turned out to be a cracked Battery pole. How old is the Battery in your car? 🤷‍♂️

Start with your earth cables from Battery to chassis and chassis to engine block (under the airbox).

Give them a proper clean and make them nice and shiny.... and if you're feeling keen put a new cable in directly from the Battery to the engine block.

Thanks so much for your advice,I'll try all of those tips.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links