Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CarPlay defaults to Waze mapping

Graham47

My iPhone is linked wirelessly to my car but day to day I use the ‘home’ screen and either FM or DAB.

However, I notice that, on the Carplay screen, Waze is displayed for the map screen and I often get background Waze announcements.

The problem is Waze is also using up phone Battery and is using my phone data unnecessarily.

Anyone know how I can stop ANY mapping App being automatically loaded on each startup ?

Waze did this on my BMW.  I had to log out of Waze / close the app totally as opposed to just leaving it ... as in wipe up from the bottom of the phone to half way when the app is on the iPhone so the phone shows all open apps ... then wipe the Waze app up to the top of the phone to totally close it.

I found Waze a pain and do not use it now.  I use either Apple's own mapping, Google maps or I actually pay for Tom Tom as it gives GPS speed ... something on an iPhone in the UK only Waze does .... and, as I say, I won't use Waze now due to issues that were enough for me to be prepared to pay £20 ish annually on my phone to get Tom Tom with GPS speed !  

• Like 1

Good to know Waze are doing this, uninstalled mine. Normally using Google maps and standalone Garmin. 

Waze isn’t actually running on the iPhone for me to ‘swipe up’.

So far, I’ve only used it once on a longish journey and actually found it quite good, someone ahead had actually reported a broken down vehicle on the M6 which Waze informed me about.

@SO8, does either TomTom, Google maps or Apple maps behave like this ?  I have quite a small data allowance so don’t like using data unnecessarily.

Car play defaults to the last mapping app you used, I don’t think you can turn off all maps but you can disable all of them except Apple Maps in the car play settings on your iPhone. I also use TomTom which has the maps downloaded to the phone so doesn’t use too much data, also it doesn’t use as much Battery as Waze which would flatten my phone very quickly. 

• Like 2

On the subject of phone data, virgin has a SIM only plan for £7 monthly with 15GB data, this is what I got.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links