Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pestering Yaris cross owners

Primus1

Visiting our local garden centre this afternoon I happened to park next to not one, but two Yaris cross, both in dark blue ( which looked very nice) one had a black roof,( turned out to be the gr) the owners were loading up with plants so I went over to have a chat, the chap was very impressed with it, I asked about how it drove regarding noise but he said it’s absolutely fine and it actually changes the way you drive, he said his dad has also ordered one and is waiting for his, as I took our trolley back to the bay, I returned to find the mrs chatting to the owner of the other one, he too was impressed with everything about it , this was fitted with the door sills, which looked really nice but he thought they were a waste of time, he also said he’d wished he’d chosen grey ( mine will be grey) but he was overruled by his other half,.    So beware, if you are out and about in your cross, you might get some bloke coming up to you to chat about it….and this isn’t the first time either, when I was considering getting one I also spoke to another owner who was equally impressed with his, so I’ve got form….

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Avoid supermarket car parks. 

Actually avoid Yorkshire supermarket car parks. 

I was at a lunch the other day.  Chap came up, said you've got a Cross..... 

He has a Merc EV and  RAV4 and is changing the RAV for the Cross, asked how I liked it. 

Someone in the club got a Corolla after I got mine.  She has difficulty getting over 55mpg.  I had difficulty getting under 60.

Turns out that all the buttons on the steering wheel are a mystery to her and the hybrid has not changed her driving style. 

• Haha 1

I was parked the other day and this absolutely glorious, drop-dead gorgeous blonde woman came over. I thought "great, she want to ask me about my car". Turns out she just wanted to take me home with her. Disappointing eh? Not my day at all... (sigh)

Seriously, I've had a few people ask about the car, and it's interesting to see the range of vehicles that they are considering changing from, both low-end and high-end, including one woman who had a rather nice EV but - in her own words - was traumatised by her experiences with the UK's 'useless pile of unregulated dung' rapid charger network

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Very few people can reap the rewards of an EV, mainly driving instructors that can install charger at home and those that have chargers at the workplace. So hybrid is the next best thing. 

• Like 2

Yes I can’t understand why the proposed ban on ice cars  from 2030 includes hybrids, surely it would be better to keep these as an in between ice and EV…

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Yes I can’t understand why the proposed ban on ice cars  from 2030 includes hybrids, surely it would be better to keep these as an in between ice and EV…

No. 

New hybrids and plug-in hybrids will be given a stay of execution until 2035, on the condition they are capable of covering a "significant distance" - a term which the Government has yet to define - in zero-emission mode.

• Thanks 1

I think HEVs are part of the ban, only PHEVs will escape it for the 5 years, and only if they can do ??? miles EV-only (20-50 seems to be the figures bandied about, but as you say not nailed down yet).

I just hope there's a Battery breakthrough and massive charger network improvements soon, otherwise the motor industry and all the economies intertwined with them are going to suffer...

If indeed the ban goes ahead,I’ve read somewhere that there’s talk of postponing it..

• Like 1

The bev might get a ban first instead. It will be called a Battery gate 😂👍

• Haha 2

But if we imagine Yaris Cross doing roughly 50% of the driving in EV-mode, that's as many miles with zero-emissions as you happen to drive divided by 2! 🤣 Drive 500 miles? 250 MILES WITH ZERO EMISSIONS!

When I sold my Toyota Proace, the buyer arrived with his dad who had a brand spanking new Yaris Cross, it was probably one of the first at the time to even hit consumers hands around here and I was guilty of pestering him too just like in the original post 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The bev might get a ban first instead. It will be called a battery gate 😂👍

Hopefully we have recyclable solid state batteries before we have a mountain of spent, toxic, lithium-ion to deal with.

• Like 1

I do wonder if solid state lithium calls will be easier to recycle; We can technically recycle current lithium cells at the moment, but it requires so much energy and/or nasty chemicals, that it's still somehow cheaper to dig new material out of the ground and refine that, so almost nobody does it except companies propped up by government grants.

It's not been as big a problem yet as old automotive batteries have mostly found new life as lower capacity static storage, e.g. for solar panels, but it is a problem we'll have to deal with in the near future...

Even todays no batteries from any vehicles goes to landfill. All get recycled, simply because they have valuable materials inside and this recycling business it’s on its highest growth from all times. 
There are many other factors like charging infrastructure, road infrastructure, parking and more that add on to the overall picture. Emissions, pollution, all comes together. Just switch from one energy source to another will not solve much, if anything at all, it might even cause more trouble, but I do like the idea and in enjoy watching big cities vehicles become quieter and cleaner. It’s good for the citizens. Breathe fresh and low noise pollution affect all humans and animals. 

I gotta say that I'm starting to feel more climate anxiety kinda thing about EV batteries, like if we're actually looking at making vast majority of cars EVs than I ever did about fossil fuels. Something about heavy metals and their toxicity sits more wrong with me 😄

I know we are partly just shifting a source of pollution from one place to another, but removing fossil fuel cars for either ev or hydrogen would solve this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44612642

https://www.bmj.com/content/367/bmj.l6677

The electricity required to charge an EV or to make hydrogen with our current tech is becoming increasingly green.  Petrol and diesel simply aren't.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I know we are partly just shifting a source of pollution from one place to another, but removing fossil fuel cars for either ev or hydrogen would solve this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44612642

https://www.bmj.com/content/367/bmj.l6677

The electricity required to charge an EV or to make hydrogen with our current tech is becoming increasingly green.  Petrol and diesel simply aren't.

Yeah it's not really the actual electricity required to charge that causes any anxiety in me, it's more so the actual Battery packs for EVs. I'm all for electricity, just hoping that somehow somebody comes up how to make those batteries and reservoirs of power greener

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruxisCore said:

Yeah it's not really the actual electricity required to charge that causes any anxiety in me, it's more so the actual battery packs for EVs. I'm all for electricity, just hoping that somehow somebody comes up how to make those batteries and reservoirs of power greener

Oh aye I completely agree.  You can make something like 20 HEVs compared to 1 EV and use the same amount of Battery materials.  What I really want is a hydrogen version of the petrol HEV I have now.

it's just not yet viable for large scale production.  Places like Orkney can manage it as they have a small population and a lot of free green energy.

https://www.orkney.com/life/energy/hydrogen

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links