Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Honest John website - incorrect answers to questions raised

FROSTYBALLS

The Honest John website has previously been reasonably good at answering reader's questions. However since it was bought out of adminstration by Heycars answers to reader questions seem to be less accurate, if not misleading.

Twice in recent weeks I've seen questions raised re the additional VED payments for vehicles with a list price over £40K. Their answer both times has been the list price at the time of ordering is used to determine whether or not the additional VED payment is payable, whereas the correct answer is the list price at the time of first registration is used.

Another question this week has been regarding the Avensis automatic. They refer to the Valvematic or V-matic as being a type of CVT, instead of the correct answer being that Valvematic refers to the engine. They also state the automatic Auris (2007 to 2019) was only available as a CVT - whereas the first generation auto (2007-2012) was only available with the Multi Mode transmission (petrol/diesel) or eCVT (hybrid 2010-2012).

So unfortunately the bottom line is - if raising a question on the Honest John website don't rely on the answer being correct.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

It's really sad to see how much HJ has declined since they got taken over.

Really sucks as their Good/Bad section was a really good source of centralized information on what to look out for when buying a specific used car.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's really sad to see how much HJ has declined since they got taken over.

Totally agree.

Sad indeed.

Used to love HJ! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have written to the website more than once correcting their errors. They reply but refuse to acknowledge their mistake. Maybe a place in the market for a competitor? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the guy who set up the original site retired? Screw all these companies just looking for advertising revenue.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have been to the Honest John website in the past.  Didn’t know they had been bought out.  Pity if the new owners cannot give reliable information.  Incorrect information can, in some cases, result in a car owner carrying out seriously damaging DIY work, or even the vehicle being involved in a bad traffic accident.  They should either engage advisers with the necessary expertise to offer safe advice, or sell the website to a body that can do this.

• Like 1

Didn't HJ start as a Saturday column in the Telegraph, and then got taken over by the giant Haymarket publishing company?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been so busy doing other things, I sometimes miss what goes on. I didn't know HJ had gone through changes, let alone gone into administration! Another site DPreview for digital cameras was near closing down, but was rescued.

The Valvematic error is poor, since I own an Avensis Tourer, 6 speed manual, 1.8 Valvematic engine. If I used that description on the HJ site, would one of their staff wrongly try and correct me? 

I have used HJ to get info on cars in the past, but more recently go to other places, like YouTube and forums like Toyota and other makes of cars.  

Now I will research my sources when I can. 

• 1 month later...

I remember in one HJ review (think it was for the Auris) they mentioned that dual mass flywheels were a problem on the Valvematic engined cars. However, from what I could gather the Valvematic never had a dual mass flywheel?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 12:17 PM, yossarian247 said:

I remember in one HJ review (think it was for the Auris) they mentioned that dual mass flywheels were a problem on the Valvematic engined cars. However, from what I could gather the Valvematic never had a dual mass flywheel?

I had to see for my self and found this on the 2007-2012 Auris :- 

29-03-2016:

Report of clutch and DMF failure on 2007 Toyota Auris 1.6 T-Spirit at 27,040 miles.

The only Auris 1.6 engine available I know of is petrol Dual VVTi and Valvematic. None of them had DMF. I know that even my Avensis 1.8 Valvematic or any petrol Toyota sold in the UK didn't have a DMF. I wonder if HJ confused the later 1.6 BMW diesel fitted in the later Mk2 Auris! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

I had to see for my self and found this on the 2007-2012 Auris :- 

29-03-2016:

Report of clutch and DMF failure on 2007 Toyota Auris 1.6 T-Spirit at 27,040 miles.

The only Auris 1.6 engine available I know of is petrol Dual VVTi and Valvematic. None of them had DMF. I know that even my Avensis 1.8 Valvematic or any petrol Toyota sold in the UK didn't have a DMF. I wonder if HJ confused the later 1.6 BMW diesel fitted in the later Mk2 Auris! 

That's the one. They were perhaps mixing it up with the 1.6 diesel in later cars as you suggest, but then again the BMW engined 1.6 Auris would have only been on sale for a year or so by March 2016 so hopefully there wouldn't have been reports of DMF failures by then?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links