Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warranty still remaining

Steven83

Hi all.

I’ve just bought a 2020 Corolla from a Hyundai dealership. 

From my research anything before 2021 had a 5 year warranty so theoretically this car should have 2 years left on it.

I phoned a dealership yesterday to confirm this and ask if the warranty is on the original buyer or the car itself, in other words will I inherit it.

He didn’t seem to confident but from what he could see it should have 2 years left and I should be able to use it.

Im going to ask another dealer just to make sure but have you guys any experience with this? 

Is it a different level of cover? 

Also as the car is not 3 years only until mid June is there any things I should be looking to make a claim on quickly.

ie check for any paint damage and so on? I guess that doesn’t include scratches.

Thanks all

steve 

New Toyota vehicles

Customers with new Toyota vehicles will have a three-year/60,000-mile manufacturer’s warranty in place, or, for Toyotas ordered prior to 1 June 2021, a five-year/100,000-mile warranty.  

After the expiry of the manufacturer warranty, owners who choose to have a qualifying service at an official Toyota centre will benefit from an additional 12 months (or 10,000 miles) of warranty, until your car is either ten years old or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). 

For vehicles with a two-year service schedule, a 24-month/20,000-mile warranty will automatically be activated. The warranty will then be renewed at each successive qualifying service at an official Toyota centre, until the ten years or 100,000-mile limit is reached. 

22 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

New Toyota vehicles

Customers with new Toyota vehicles will have a three-year/60,000-mile manufacturer’s warranty in place, or, for Toyotas ordered prior to 1 June 2021, a five-year/100,000-mile warranty.  

After the expiry of the manufacturer warranty, owners who choose to have a qualifying service at an official Toyota centre will benefit from an additional 12 months (or 10,000 miles) of warranty, until your car is either ten years old or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). 

For vehicles with a two-year service schedule, a 24-month/20,000-mile warranty will automatically be activated. The warranty will then be renewed at each successive qualifying service at an official Toyota centre, until the ten years or 100,000-mile limit is reached. 

Thanks. I had read that. 

Im just not certain if the warranty transfers to me as I have bought it at 3 years old. 

19 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

Im just not certain if the warranty transfers to me as I have bought it at 3 years old. 

Yes it does with the proviso that it was a UK market vehicle. 

Presumably the service history is OK - eg. serviced every year/10,000 miles, etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes it does with the proviso that it was a UK market vehicle. 

Presumably the service history is OK - eg. serviced every year/10,000 miles, etc.

Thanks frosty. Yeh uk car, 2 Toyota stamps. Has its first mot today so hopefully no surprises. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steven83 said:

Thanks frosty. Yeh uk car, 2 Toyota stamps. Has its first mot today so hopefully no surprises. 

Your car looks like late 2020 as it comes with full leather seats. 2019-2020 usually were half leather set up, both same design and comfort. These seats are ultra comfy for driving, slightly less comfortable to relax on them , long journeys breaks with seat back reclined and when getting in and out of the car. When you collect the car don’t forget to check all wheels and tyres for kerb damage, side walls damage as they are low profile and this happens easily even if you are careful. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Your car looks like late 2020 as it comes with full leather seats. 2019-2020 usually were half leather set up, both same design and comfort. These seats are ultra comfy for driving, slightly less comfortable to relax on them , long journeys breaks with seat back reclined and when getting in and out of the car. When you collect the car don’t forget to check all wheels and tyres for kerb damage, side walls damage as they are low profile and this happens easily even if you are careful. 

Thanks Tony, I’ll be sure to check. 

I did test drive it on Sunday and spent a good bit of time looking around it and all was fine but will check again as things can happen. 

it was registered in late june 2020.

Just had an insurance quote which was a surprise. £950 which is £400 more than I was paying for the auris and that’s with me being 39 and 10yrs ncb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven83 said:

Just had an insurance quote which was a surprise. £950 which is £400 more than I was paying for the auris and that’s with me being 39 and 10yrs ncb. 

What did you put as your occupation - unmanned rocket test pilot? Or did you state your home address as 'a volcano caldera'?

I'm 56, have 25+ years ncb and my premium was £320.

8 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

What did you put as your occupation - unmanned rocket test pilot? Or did you state your home address as 'a volcano caldera'?

I'm 56, have 25+ years ncb and my premium was £320.

Crazy isn’t it. Literally everything is the same bar the change of car, which although it is valued more it is also safer and has better alarm system. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

Crazy isn’t it. Literally everything is the same bar the change of car, which although it is valued more it is also safer and has better alarm system. 

Perhaps you will need to speak to them what options you have. Best to look around for a new insurance from another provider. Your quote from your existing one will rocket anyway because of the cat theft that happened. Check Aviva on their own side or Adrian flux. I am business plan with high miles and no claim 11 years but my premium is high , still better than yours. I had only one claim last year for windscreen. Some modifications too. 

7 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Perhaps you will need to speak to them what options you have. Best to look around for a new insurance from another provider. Your quote from your existing one will rocket anyway because of the cat theft that happened. Check Aviva on their own side or Adrian flux. I am business plan with high miles and no claim 11 years but my premium is high , still better than yours. I had only one claim last year for windscreen. Some modifications too. 

That was a quote from 2 different comparisons sites so will be interesting to see my renewal quote.

I did try the search without including the theft to see what the difference was and there was no difference, was quoted the same price.

I’ve had this before tho where one day it’s a silly quote the other is lower.

funnily enough my 265bhp 3.0 bmw I had before the auris was the cheaper than both to insure. 

Insurers often categorise customers they will insure usually based on a number of factors whether that's postcode, car, occupation, etc. An easy at to deter customers who fall outside the market sector they insure, is to quote a high price.

Remember a few years ago when we wanted to insure my wife's Honda hatchback, I phoned Direct Line who responded by saying they wouldn't insure that model, and referred me to another of their companies, Privilege. Privilege got the business.

One other point is that not all comparison sites are impartial - some are owned by insurers, etc.

I think people may have forgotten this, but the biggest reason for the massive insurance hikes recently is the FCA told all insurers they aren't allowed to offer discounted 'introductory' rates for new customers, and this has basically given insurers a great excuse to double or even triple premiums across the board - Almost everyone who's had a new or renewal quote since that change has seen their premiums jump up by £200-500 for no reason.

As for warranties, the manufacturer warranty follows the car, and as long as the conditions are met (i.e. serviced on time and to spec) then it will remain valid through any new owners.

Things like the Relax warranty, which is a sort of extended warranty, don't follow though, but in the case of Relax get renewed when the car's serviced. One really good thing about Relax is it doesn't need to be continuous - Service the car at a dealer and you just get it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think people may have forgotten this, but the biggest reason for the massive insurance hikes recently is the FCA told all insurers they aren't allowed to offer discounted 'introductory' rates for new customers, and this has basically given insurers a great excuse to double or even triple premiums across the board - Almost everyone who's had a new or renewal quote since that change has seen their premiums jump up by £200-500 for no reason.

As for warranties, the manufacturer warranty follows the car, and as long as the conditions are met (i.e. serviced on time and to spec) then it will remain valid through any new owners.

Things like the Relax warranty, which is a sort of extended warranty, don't follow though, but in the case of Relax get renewed when the car's serviced. One really good thing about Relax is it doesn't need to be continuous - Service the car at a dealer and you just get it.

Thanks cyker. 

I didn’t know that about the new rule with insurance companies. What a ridiculous thing to do, as if people aren’t finding it hard enough with the cost of living at the moment. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

Thanks cyker. 

I didn’t know that about the new rule with insurance companies. What a ridiculous thing to do, as if people aren’t finding it hard enough with the cost of living at the moment. 

Any excuse to increase prices will do at the moment I'm afraid. Hopefully it will all get competitive again but I do have concerns that there's some backdoor collusion going on, across everything not just insurance. 

Rant over. Apologies.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, it's really stupid.

They are literally doing the whole "road to hell is paved with good intentions" thing.

Same thing happened when they banned gender discrimination, i.e. women having lower premiums than men. On the surface the idea would seem valid, but anyone could see that it wouldn't reduce men's premiums, just raise womens' to match, and that's exactly what happened.

Again the same thing happened here - They were crowing that their goal was to save loyal renewing customers from being stung with high renewal premiums; An admirable sentiment, but what it's actually done is stung *everyone* with high renewal premiums, whereas before it just affected people too lazy or ignorant to shop around.

I was joking in another thread I think any more ill-thought-out 'help' like this from the FCA will bankrupt us all! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

just had my renewal quote ...gone up £100 but still way cheaper than comparison sites,  rip off !!!!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 6:38 PM, Steven83 said:

Almost everyone who's had a new or renewal quote since that change has seen their premiums jump up by £200-500 for no reason.

At the last renewal (December 22), our insurance premium increased by £42 (12%) with our current insurer - nowhere near £200-500. Not bad considering inflation then was around 10.7%, and the current high levels of inflation will be part of the reason for higher premiums.

Before the legislation stopping insurers giving introductory discounts for new customers came into force in January 2022, these introductory discounts were usually financed by the premiums charged to existing customers. So perhaps the non-discounted premiums are more relative to the true cost of insurance.

As I said previously, the high quotes could also be due to you being outside the customer groups those insurers wish to do business with. High quotes are an easy way to discourage customers they don't want.

Bear in mind that at least one well known comparison site is owned by an insurance group so not exactly impartial, and two of the main comparison sites are owned by the one company.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

At the last renewal (December 22), our insurance premium increased by £42 (12%) with our current insurer - nowhere near £200-500. Not bad considering inflation then was around 10.7%, and the current high levels of inflation will be part of the reason for higher premiums.

Before the legislation stopping insurers giving introductory discounts for new customers came into force in January 2022, these introductory discounts were usually financed by the premiums charged to existing customers. So perhaps the non-discounted premiums are more relative to the true cost of insurance.

As I said previously, the high quotes could also be due to you being outside the customer groups those insurers wish to do business with. High quotes are an easy way to discourage customers they don't want.

Bear in mind that at least one well known comparison site is owned by an insurance group so not exactly impartial, and two of the main comparison sites are owned by the one company.

You could be right but I still managed to insure a 3.0 bmw and recently my auris at half the price. 

my circumstances haven’t changed, only the car has. And if anything this one has better security and is harder to crash 😆

TBH frosty I think you're very fortunate to have had such a low increase; Nearly everyone I know in real life has been hit with several-hundred £ increases since that FCA rule.

The only two exceptions were people who were not hunting around and were already paying much higher insurance costs than the rest of us (One was paying £1800 a year for a 1.2L Ford Fiesta!! Admittedly they live in Tottenham, but even so...! I shudder to think what it would be if they didn't have so much NCB...!)

• Like 1

Well I do check other insurers at renewal and costs were similar - although with my current insurer I additionally have free legal protection, a discount through having other insurance with them, protected NCB which doesn't reduce in the event of any number of claims, and upgraded personal injury cover.

• Like 2

Hi.

Please do feel free to give us a try for insurance if you haven't done so already.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links