Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking in the engine when accelerating or going uphill

Sasa1204

Hi. I have Toyota auris 2.2 DCAT 2007. 225000km. After using Motul injector cleaner (preventive ) I started hearing metal knocking while accelerating or going uphill. The sound is getting louder as time goes. No error message in diagnostic. Went to service, changed all filters and oil. Still the same problem. Fuel consumption is ok, 6,7l/100km , excellent performance. Any ideas?

My first blind guess is it's the dual-mass flywheel, assuming that has one - Loud knocking under low RPM and high load is a classic symptom when they start to go.

• Like 1

Is it like a rattle or the odd thud? If infrequent it could be worn engine mounts.

• Like 1

I recorded it today. Use headphones to hear it 

I can’t hear anything like engine knocking on the video. 

• Like 2

As I said, use headphones. I cant hear it on this video without headphones. It is not easy to hear but every time I press the pedal on this video , very fast knocking can be heard 

What I can hear from the sound is a noise that seems like worn alternator/pulley/belt. I can't hear any grinding. In fact, I hear a very healthy engine. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 3

Will try to record better video today 

Pay attention when pedestrian crossings 

Now I hear it.  Don't know what that is... Injectors?

Injectors are good on the diagnostic 

Hm, this sounds a bit like bottom end bearings but I might be wrong so don’t take my word. If me and no other issues I will just drive the car like that until it becomes more pronounced and more obvious problem then will decide on fixing it. At the end it’s  an old car it can’t be perfect like new. 

• Like 1

Yes, I drive like there is no problem at all. Just turn in the music and enjoy.  But, I am musician, so my ears are always ringing when there’s unknown sound coming from my car, I just hear it and can’t ignore 😉 that’s why I want to know what is it.

Thanks, that's much easier to hear!

So it only does it when the engine is working harder?

Must admit not sure, need people with more real-world experience to have a listen!

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

So it only does it when the engine is working harder?

Yes!

• Like 1

And, I forgot to mention, I noticed there’s no this issue when engine is cold. But as soon as it starts to warm, knocking..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sasa1204 said:

And, I forgot to mention, I noticed there’s no this issue when engine is cold. But as soon as it starts to warm, knocking..

What engine oil are you using? Exact spec as per the book , viscosity, brand, and when was changed last time? What is the mileage of the car? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

What engine oil are you using? Exact spec as per the book , viscosity, brand, and when was changed last time? What is the mileage of the car? 

I use Eneos fully synthetic 5W30. Changed almost 10000 km ago, 5 months ago. Now is 225000 km.

the problem with knocking existed before changing oil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasa1204 said:

I use Eneos fully synthetic 5W30. Changed almost 10000 km ago, 5 months ago. Now is 225000 km.

the problem with knocking existed before changing oil.

Perhaps it’s just the right time for another oil change even if that has nothing to do with knocking. You can check engine mounts, drive shafts , and perhaps just leave it as is.

• Like 2

Check exterior and visual defect first. Just like what Tony said.  Exhaust, bolts, heat shields, and then check all engine mounts, and diconnected vacuum lines.  Do you feel any vibrations?  If it vibrate during hard accelerations, it could be driveshaft. But do not replace the high quality OEM driveshaft with any aftermarket that cost 1/6 of OEM. From what I heard, it is only knocking under load. Check if the timing is all right. Do you have any check engine light? Disconnected vacuum line can cause knocking too. 

If you trace back what you had done.  Check whatever parts you touch during cleaning with injector cleaners?  I do not get why people using harsh chemical like injector cleaner if they already used high quality fuel with a good detergent.  I am afraid something to do with the fuel lines or injector that fail after motul injector cleaner applications. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links