Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis T27 ticking sound

BNZ-1992

Hi everyone,

I just recently bought a used Toyota Avensis sedan from 2010 where the odometer is around 165.000km. The car is an automatic and drives very well. Though I have two concerns that I’m hoping someone can help with:

1. Ticking sound from engine bay (I will attach video). I have trouble figuring this out and have booked an appointment with the shop to locate and hopefully fix it. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

2. A lot of wind noise from A pillars at highway speed. I’ve read something about the smaller windows and their seals being the cause of this. Can anyone verify and if so please provide how much this costs to fix?

Edited by BNZ-1992
I had to upload a video to support the text

13 minutes ago, BNZ-1992 said:

Hi everyone,

I just recently bought a used Toyota Avensis sedan from 2010 where the odometer is around 165.000km. The car is an automatic and drives very well. Though I have two concerns that I’m hoping someone can help with:

1. Ticking sound from engine bay (I will attach video). I have trouble figuring this out and have booked an appointment with the shop to locate and hopefully fix it. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

2. A lot of wind noise from A pillars at highway speed. I’ve read something about the smaller windows and their seals being the cause of this. Can anyone verify and if so please provide how much this costs to fix?

When I turn on mine there a anoying buzzing sound and comes threw my tweeters on my dash it's annoying as hell also I must take a video also show .I'd love to stop it as it's like a anoying ground loop noise threw my speakers 

This is what I did to diagnose the wind noise from the A pillar area:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/201781-t27-2016-wind-noise/#comment-1587880

That proved it was the seal around the front quarterlight window (the little window at the front of the window in the front door). My local Toyota dealer replaced it under warranty, so I do not know how much it cost.

If you have the Valvematic petrol engine, then at idle the vacuum pump will be heard. The vacuum pump is located on the end of the camshaft at the transmission end. Due to the nature of the way Valvematic engine works, there is not enough vacuum provided for the brake servo, just like diesel engines. Because the petrol engine is not as noisy as a diesel engine, the vacuum pump will be more audible.

I made post on this a few years back - 

2 hours ago, Konrad C said:

If you have the Valvematic petrol engine, then at idle the vacuum pump will be heard. The vacuum pump is located on the end of the camshaft at the transmission end. Due to the nature of the way Valvematic engine works, there is not enough vacuum provided for the brake servo, just like diesel engines. Because the petrol engine is not as noisy as a diesel engine, the vacuum pump will be more audible.

I made post on this a few years back - 

I see. The car has a 1,8 VVT-i engine so that may very well be the sound you mention. It just sounds unusual. Based on the video you’d say it’s that vacuum pump?

I must say you have a very nice car, the engine noise is the plastic engine cover you need to play with diy rubber feet or so, the whistling noise probebly the wheel bearings....

I have played both videos. The first one sounds different to the vacuum pump. You need to the bonnet and record the sound closer to the engine. Listen close to the source and point to where you think the sound is coming from.
The whistle sound I am not sure, but your car has CVT, so it could be related to that. 

23 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I have played both videos. The first one sounds different to the vacuum pump. You need to the bonnet and record the sound closer to the engine. Listen close to the source and point to where you think the sound is coming from.
The whistle sound I am not sure, but your car has CVT, so it could be related to that. 

Here’s a video from engine bay. It’s more difficult to distinguish the ticking sound from here, but it seems to be located further back toward the cabin and a bit lower towards the ground.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:23 PM, avensis_2018 said:

I must say you have a very nice car, the engine noise is the plastic engine cover you need to play with diy rubber feet or so, the whistling noise probebly the wheel bearings....

I don’t believe it’s the engine cover. Just tried removing it and the sound is still there.

as to the whistling sound, it’s mostly present when decelerating. Would that also indicate wheel bearing? I’m suspecting something related to the CVT gearbox as Konrad also mentioned

Hello

I have a 2009 Avensis 1.8 VVT just like you, recently bought it. The wind noise was driving me crazy but I did a lot of trial and error and fixed it eventually.

What I did was buy some liquid gasket (black) which I then applied around the quarterlight, following the original seal, all the way around. This fixed the wind noise instantly. You can apply the liquid gasket the same way you would do in your home. Use some painters tape to avoid getting gasket all of the place. You just need to apply enough gasket to make sure the small window is sealed all the way around. It dries quickly and you should be able to get results instantly.

To be 100 % clear I'm talking about this window where the seal seems to go bad on many T27s: https://imgur.com/a/Xw9RUL7

If you do get some gasket material in unwanted places it's no big deal. You can easily scrape it off with something like a credit card, it's very easy to work with. 

The material I used was this: https://www.autodoc.dk/ma-profesional/15078113?gshp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhJukBhBPEiwAniIcNcZEJt4nvIXYUtgq1s3ysHa86ai2gulIPXmIos982VJHN_NYCrRazhoCM_4QAvD_BwE

"Black Hi-Temp Silicone Gasket Maker"

Good luck!

On 6/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, UlleB said:

Hello

I have a 2009 Avensis 1.8 VVT just like you, recently bought it. The wind noise was driving me crazy but I did a lot of trial and error and fixed it eventually.

What I did was buy some liquid gasket (black) which I then applied around the quarterlight, following the original seal, all the way around. This fixed the wind noise instantly. You can apply the liquid gasket the same way you would do in your home. Use some painters tape to avoid getting gasket all of the place. You just need to apply enough gasket to make sure the small window is sealed all the way around. It dries quickly and you should be able to get results instantly.

To be 100 % clear I'm talking about this window where the seal seems to go bad on many T27s: https://imgur.com/a/Xw9RUL7

If you do get some gasket material in unwanted places it's no big deal. You can easily scrape it off with something like a credit card, it's very easy to work with. 

The material I used was this: https://www.autodoc.dk/ma-profesional/15078113?gshp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhJukBhBPEiwAniIcNcZEJt4nvIXYUtgq1s3ysHa86ai2gulIPXmIos982VJHN_NYCrRazhoCM_4QAvD_BwE

Good luck!

Thank you so much! I will try that this weekend. 🙏

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, UlleB said:

Hello

Good luck!

Many thanks for your tip/advise UlleB!

I'm not sure if you removed the original seals before applying this gasket. Or did you apply it on top of the existing seals?

In my recently bougth 2009 Avensis I've much more wind noise compared to my 2006 (latest T25 model) Avensis.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 11:27 AM, SamG77 said:

Many thanks for your tip/advise UlleB!

I'm not sure if you removed the original seals before applying this gasket. Or did you apply it on top of the existing seals?

In my recently bougth 2009 Avensis I've much more wind noise compared to my 2006 (latest T25 model) Avensis.

I just applied it on top. You can use transparent silicone as well if that's cheaper and easier for you. Since doing this I haven't had issues with wind noise coming from those areas of the car so I'll say it's fixed. Obviously the proper way to do it is buying the gaskets from Toyota and fitting them but in this case I fixed the problem for a fraction of the price and I don't really care that much how it looks as long as I'm not selling the car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links