Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 Corolla Parked for 3 weeks during holidays

Popcorn6186

Hi,

I am going on holidays, so the car won't be used for 3 weeks. Is there anything I should do before leaving, so that the Battery doesn't die for example?

nothing required for that length of time.  Enjoy your holiday

• Like 1

Well, it will depend on the car usage before the holiday. Three weeks in warm weather shouldn’t be a problem however if the car been exclusively used on short town trips, less than 30 min each best way to preserve the 12v Battery is to fully charge it with a smart charger day or two before you leave the car. 
I don’t drive for some time now and after a 10 days of inactivity I measured my Battery and it was a bit low 12.2V , connected a smart charger and for around 8hrs got fully charged., so I know my Battery is good now. image.thumb.jpeg.9a2c72c8c365ed1cafeb90568b25ff99.jpeg

smart chargers from Aldi, Lidl, ctek, noco from Amazon all will do the job. 

• Like 2

I left my auris for 2 months during winter when I was in Thailand.

came back and started it up just to make sure it still had Battery and it started no problem so I switched it off.

Next day it wouldn’t start so needed to call recovery service.

It must have just had enough power for one start so id suggest when you come back start it and drive it around for a bit.

I believe these cars don’t have an alternator but I never had the issue after that so they must charge the Battery still 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Admittedly not 3 weeks but mine was fine after 16 days parked at the docks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steven83 said:

I left my auris for 2 months during winter when I was in Thailand.

came back and started it up just to make sure it still had battery and it started no problem so I switched it off.

Next day it wouldn’t start so needed to call recovery service.

It must have just had enough power for one start so id suggest when you come back start it and drive it around for a bit.

I believe these cars don’t have an alternator but I never had the issue after that so they must charge the battery still 🤷‍♂️

The inverter / converter (under bonnet next to the engine) takes power from the HV Battery & converts it to 12v, then chucks it at the 12v Battery. Only works when car is in ‘Ready’ mode

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I leave my car for any time longer than a week (which has happened a lot since covid), I put a block of wood under a rear wheel and take the handbrake off to stop it rusting onto the drum.  Note, we are due for some wet weather over this weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I left my car for 12 days last August, it wouldn’t start when I got home. The dealer implied it was my fault for going on holiday, and didn’t want to help. The AA came out, got me to the dealer, who begrudgingly charged the Battery, said there was nothing wrong with it.  Then 3 days later the whole sorry cycle happened again, and after reading the riot act to the dealer, they replaced the hybrid Battery. Its been fine since. 

I’m just about to take delivery of the MY23, which apparently has new hybrid technology - let’s hope so,  because I’m about to go on holiday …

6 minutes ago, RM2021 said:

I left my car for 12 days last August, it wouldn’t start when I got home. The dealer implied it was my fault for going on holiday, and didn’t want to help. The AA came out, got me to the dealer, who begrudgingly charged the battery, said there was nothing wrong with it.  Then 3 days later the whole sorry cycle happened again, and after reading the riot act to the dealer, they replaced the hybrid battery. Its been fine since. 

I’m just about to take delivery of the MY23, which apparently has new hybrid technology - let’s hope so,  because I’m about to go on holiday …

You sure it wasn’t the 12v he replaces? No way a hybrid Battery would fail after sitting for 12 days, unless it was faulty.

• Like 2

Apologies, just checked with husband, it was the 12v battery 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RM2021 said:

Apologies, just checked with husband, it was the 12v battery 

When you have your 23 Corolla if you don’t drive often and on longer than 20 min trip’s each time you are running a risk of having flat 12v Battery again. I can suggest to you to recharge your Battery with a smart charger prior to leaving the car for longer time without use., and on your return when you start the car set in ready mode or drive it minimum for 30-40+ minutes before you turn off again.
 The new Toyota hybrids has next gen hybrid technology with the same old school 12v system. Good luck and have a good holiday. 

Thank you Tony, it’s about an hour’s drive to the airport, so hopefully that will also give it a good boost before we leave it sat for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RM2021 said:

Thank you Tony, it’s about an hour’s drive to the airport, so hopefully that will also give it a good boost before we leave it sat for a while.

Make sure you leave it with a reputable company, there have been a lot of stories in the media about joy riders, and or being left in a field?

• Like 1

In this month’s Which magazine, apparently there are 2 articles on the sustainability and degradation of electric car batteries.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links