Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pipercross/K&N Panel Filters

zelda89

Hi,

Has anyone used either a Pipercross or K&N Panel Filters? If so what are your experiences with them i.e are they easy to clean, do they sound different to the standard panel etc. TIA

Hi zelda89, I fitted a K&N air filter in my Golf GTi about 35 years ago and it's still in it 👍

They are easy to clean and probably a good option if you intend keeping the car for a long time.

• Like 1

I've gone for a Pipercross, £32 on eBay. Hopefully won't ever need to buy a air filter again

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zelda89 said:

I've gone for a Pipercross, £32 on eBay. Hopefully won't ever need to buy a air filter again

But, you might need to buy an engine. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Stivino said:

But, you might need to buy an engine. 

What do you mean? Are they that bad? I remember years ago someone mentioned that the sponge could break off and make its way into the engine. Please elaborate, thanks

• Like 1

Ask yourself why no manufacturer fits those filters as standard, if they are so good.

On 6/11/2023 at 6:42 PM, zelda89 said:

Has anyone used either a Pipercross or K&N Panel Filters? If so what are your experiences with them i.e are they easy to clean, do they sound different to the standard panel etc. TIA

Yes. They are fine. Easy to clean? - well, that's subjective. Personally I think it's a faff particularly when you also need to oil them afterwards.  

Do they sound different? Panel filters don't significantly change the sound as they still sit in the standard air box. They are meant to be better flowing and thus do allow a little more sound through, but it doesn't make much difference. The cone and mushroom type filters that replace the air box will allow more intake sound.

The bottom end:

- These filters are meant to flow better and increase power. BUT...

• better flow means less filtration. This is always a tradeoff you make when you want more power. Think race cars - just trumpets and no filtration at all.
  • The amount of extra power you may gain is typically very small (around 1-3% if any at all) and only at the top end.
  • They are totally reliant on you cleaning them regularly. If you accidentally apply too much oil to them they will severely restrict air flow

That said:

• Use these in you hobby cars
  • More intake sound (particularly from a cone/mushroom filter) can make the driving experience more enjoyable even if doesn't necessarily make it much quicker
  • These filters are required if you tune your car and significantly increase power
  • The included sticker may be that extra bit of bling your engine compartment needs 😉

One day I may offer a short, succinct reply. One day... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, APS said:

Yes. They are fine. Easy to clean? - well, that's subjective. Personally I think it's a faff particularly when you also need to oil them afterwards.  

Do they sound different? Panel filters don't significantly change the sound as they still sit in the standard air box. They are meant to be better flowing and thus do allow a little more sound through, but it doesn't make much difference. The cone and mushroom type filters that replace the air box will allow more intake sound.

The bottom end:

- These filters are meant to flow better and increase power. BUT...

• better flow means less filtration. This is always a tradeoff you make when you want more power. Think race cars - just trumpets and no filtration at all.
  • The amount of extra power you may gain is typically very small (around 1-3% if any at all) and only at the top end.
  • They are totally reliant on you cleaning them regularly. If you accidentally apply too much oil to them they will severely restrict air flow

That said:

• Use these in you hobby cars
  • More intake sound (particularly from a cone/mushroom filter) can make the driving experience more enjoyable even if doesn't necessarily make it much quicker
  • These filters are required if you tune your car and significantly increase power
  • The included sticker may be that extra bit of bling your engine compartment needs 😉

One day I may offer a short, succinct reply. One day... 

Thanks for the reply, some very useful info there. The main reason is cost really, since owning the car for over 3 years I've spent around £25 on air filters so I thought this may be a better option. In terms of sound and performance I agree, not expecting anything different from this panel filter.

I had actually fitted a cone filter when I first got the car for an experiment and the induction sound was very nice. It was only on for a day so put the standard box back on for better performance.

I never really bought into the better performance with these panel filters but will update the post with my experience

• Like 3

£25 over three years is £1/month, and you've just spent another four years worth of filters on one filter?

• Like 1

Yeah, tbh I prefer to just change the paper one every year.  There are stories of oiled filters shedding oil and fouling things like the MAF sensors.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stivino said:

Ask yourself why no manufacturer fits those filters as standard, if they are so good.

Probably too expensive Stephen 🙂

Filter plus cleaning kit that 9/10 you forget where you put it, the costs soon go up, without a map and supporting modifications (air in - air out and add fuel) you may lose power and increase fuel use - with total gains of intake noise, most of these performance filters are oiled so can play havoc with the MAF

In reality, you need to clean them more often

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Filter plus cleaning kit that 9/10 you forget where you put it, the costs soon go up, without a map and supporting modifications (air in - air out and add fuel) you may lose power and increase fuel use - with total gains of intake noise, most of these performance filters are oiled so can play havoc with the MAF

In reality, you need to clean them more often

I won't be expecting any performance increase nor a louder induction sound but you may be right about misplacing the cleaning kit as I'm always losing things 🤦

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links