Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Green thermostat light C with temperature gauge

Devgirl

Hi

Im new here so apologies if asking something that has already been answered.  I’ve tried googling my query but getting many different answers 

so here goes

bought the car yesterday a 2011 Yaris and no lights on dash yesterday or today.  Car has been parked for about 4 hours and I just moved it not too far and the green light is illuminated on the dash.

is this normal? And would/should this go off after a long drive?

Thankyou in advance for any advice 

Yes, thats normal. That green light, sometimes blue on other Yaris models is the low temperature coolant information light. It comes on when the engine is cold, and should be on until the coolant temperature reaches a set point during engine warm up. It will be on longer in winter, and in summer should go out usually within a mile or so of normal driving. The other light that will be on the dash will be the red coolant warning light, which should come on and go off briefly when the ignition is turned on as a test to show it is working. The only time it should come on when the engine is running is if there is a problem with the engine overheating. As Yaris models right up until the 2017 second facelift Mk3 were never fitted with an engine temperature gauge, the green (or blue) light will come on until the engine gets to normal operating temperature, and the red light will come on if the engine is overheating, so if it does come on, the car should be stopped as soon as possible and turned off until the problem has been rectified.

• Like 1

Thankyou so much for your reply. That’s put my mind at rest 😊 

• Like 1

I think of it as the Don't Hoon Me Yet light :laugh: 

It normally stays on for a few minutes after the car is started until it gets up to operating temperature; General advice is no hard acceleration and try to keep it less than 2500rpm until the light goes out.

Does depend on conditions - On my old diesel Yaris, I could get half-way to work before the light went out if it was a very cold winter day and there was a lot of traffic!! (Diesels generate a lot less waste heat than petrols so they can take longer to warm up)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links