Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is it eCVT or CVT

Roker

I am in the process of buying a 2020. Corolla estate 1.8

Can anyone tell me if this a belt type CVT or the later Electric type CVT

Belt free.

e-CVT

E-CVT. Planetary gears & electric motors. Loads of info here:

And a short video showing it work in principle: 

• Like 3

E-CVT is physically different than any conventional push belt CVT. 

Toyota eCVT is the simplest most reliable transmission without any wear parts. No clutch, no torque converter, no belt or chain. Just pure gear on gear with ball bearing submerged in ATF WS. There is no single 3rd gen Transmission failure reported over millions of Toyota, Ford, and Crysler.  

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone. Sorry to resurrect an old topic.

I'm a complete newbie when comes to cars, but I'm also considering getting a Corolla Hybrid 2019 or newer and was looking for confirmation whether it has an eCVT or not.

I came across this article saying UK models do not have it.

image.thumb.png.9a8a045e1dbaa1b43807c43c5f2c0afa.png

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/under-skin-latest-cvt-gearbox-technology

Is this article simply wrong? I'm having problems finding any official information at all. Could anyone point me to some reliable source saying otherwise?

Any help is appreciated.

3 minutes ago, marvinn84 said:

Hello everyone. Sorry to resurrect an old topic.

I'm a complete newbie when comes to cars, but I'm also considering getting a Corolla Hybrid 2019 or newer and was looking for confirmation whether it has an eCVT or not.

I came across this article saying UK models do not have it.

image.thumb.png.9a8a045e1dbaa1b43807c43c5f2c0afa.png

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/under-skin-latest-cvt-gearbox-technology

Is this article simply wrong? I'm having problems finding any official information at all. Could anyone point me to some reliable source saying otherwise?

Any help is appreciated.

Yes it is the eCVT, the system does not have the belt and cones, it has planetary gears. It is simply the best cvt system by miles, you never feel the change from ice to electric.

There was/is a “normal” ice car but very few have been sold in the UK.

• Like 3

2019 Corolla is an eCVT. From a driver's perspective, speaking as someone whose previous two car cars were CVT (Honda Jazz), it doesn't feel any different. Both types offer smooth, seamless and efficient delivery of power.

Some drivers (the rabid petrol kind typically) dislike the 'laid back' feel. But it's only a feeling because both these types of CVT can feed power to the wheels if the driver demands it. It's just that most of us learn to appreciate the more civilised feel of CVT driving.

I think some drivers dislike utilising the full travel of the accelerator pedal. I don't know why. Both Honda and Toyota build damn' good engines so if the manufacturers give us a certain amount of pedal travel then use it! On the rare occasions when I want to move I just bury the pedal into the carpet and let loose the dogs!

Admittedly I don't have as many dogs as the 2.0 litre guys but I have enough of them should the need arise 🙂

• Like 4

its an eCVT (hybrid) also known as the hybrid synergy drive or HSD and it is nothing like a push belt CVT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

as you are new to cars, it is bulletproof it will do 300-500k+ miles if looked after as proved by many a Prius owner, the gearbox has many variations over the last 25 years - so it is a well-developed product

https://media.toyota.co.uk/vehicles/corolla-2019-current/

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-hybrid-synergy-drive-in-numbers-infographic/

• Like 3

Toyota themselves confused things when the current Corolla came out in 2019, by referring to the hybrid as having a CVT in the price list released in November 2018:

https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-announces-prices-and-specifications-for-the-all-new-corolla-hatchback-and-touring-sports/#:~:text=As full hybrids%2C both powertrains,with six-speed manual transmission.

• Like 4

There are markets which have non hybrid with CVT (USA?) So I guess the quoted statement is technically accurate as Corolla is only available with eCVT and hybrid in the UK (not CVT)?

• Like 1

Quite popular choice in Bulgaria and other European countries Toyota Corolla petrol cvt non hybrids. They do have also Chr and rav4 non hybrid variants. 

• Like 3

Basically if it's a Toyota hybrid, it'll have an 'eCVT', aka the HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive, the marketing name) or PSD (Power Split Device, the 'proper' name). If it's not a hybrid, it won't.

But you read the article wrong - It doesn't say the UK doesn't get 'eCVT' (I hate that term) Corollas, it's saying the UK doesn't get Corollas with normal CVT gearboxes - Toyota only sell hybrid models in the UK for the Yaris and Corolla which are all 'eCVT'; The Manual and CVT-equipped ones are only available in other countries.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 11:12 PM, AisinW said:

E-CVT is physically different than any conventional push belt CVT. 

Toyota eCVT is the simplest most reliable transmission without any wear parts. No clutch, no torque converter, no belt or chain. Just pure gear on gear with ball bearing submerged in ATF WS. There is no single 3rd gen Transmission failure reported over millions of Toyota, Ford, and Crysler.  

There is though a lot of expensive high voltage control systems which could fail in time

1 minute ago, Roker said:

There is though a lot of expensive high voltage control systems which could fail in time

True, but these are usually very reliable and this make a big difference. 

• Like 1

This gearbox is probably one of the best features of Toyota hybrid cars, no other manufacturer come even close in terms of reliability of that box... There cheap secondhand because they never fail and there is zero market for them. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roker said:

So far, the HV side has been the most reliable bit; We all thought the streets would be littered with Mk2 Priususesieses after the batteries died after 2 years but they lasted for over a decade and they've only refined the hybrid system more and more since then.

If there's one thing the japanese are good at, it's electronics, and the hybrids have reflected that - Issues with the high voltage systems have been so rare I can't even remember the last time we had a post about any.

• Like 4

On 4/22/2024 at 5:43 PM, AndrueC said:

I think some drivers dislike utilising the full travel of the accelerator pedal. I don't know why. Both Honda and Toyota build damn' good engines so if the manufacturers give us a certain amount of pedal travel then use it! On the rare occasions when I want to move I just bury the pedal into the carpet and let loose the dogs!

Admittedly I don't have as many dogs as the 2.0 litre guys but I have enough of them should the need arise 🙂

I have brought this forward: today I joined busy dual carriageway with a short slip, lots of trucks in lane 1 and lane 2 was full. 

I stopped at the beginning of the slip.  When I saw a small gap between lorries I hit the pedal to the carpet and reached the preceeding truck speed in the Gap.

As Andrue implied, 130bph would have been better than 116, but it did the biz. 

As a comparison to manage expectations: I thought my 1968 Triumph 1300 with 61bhp and a 0-60 time of 21 seconds was really stick.  Now 116bph and 11 seconds is slow.  Wow!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For me it's not just the 0-60 but the immediacy of it - You don't need to wait for clutches to sync up or torque converters to catch up; You just press the pedal and it *GOs*:biggrin: 

So good! :biggrin: 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cyker said:

For me it's not just the 0-60 but the immediacy of it - You don't need to wait for clutches to sync up or torque converters to catch up; You just press the pedal and it *GOs*:biggrin: 

So good! :biggrin: 

I'll drink to that sentiment and the 130 is just wow! under the same conditions! Subjectively it certainly feels that it is faster than a 0.5 secs difference to 60. It feels more like a full second quicker... (8 secs dead...)

• Like 2

Colin. As important in these 'long' acceleration times is the acceleration profile.  0-30 or 30-50 are where I find it can score.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Colin. As important in these 'long' acceleration times is the acceleration profile.  0-30 or 30-50 are where I find it can score.

Indeed and I would agree with that also. The 0-30 time in the 130 is something else!

One of these days I will find a quiet road and do some timings...

• Haha 1

You need to try the 2.0 version.... sprightly.. 🤣🤣😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Hmm... I wonder if they could fit the 2.0L in a Yaris... :g: :naughty: 

I thought they had,

but had to cut one pot off.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links