Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 engine slow spot - fault code PO400 EGR flow

Ran Boydell

A month ago I bought a 2009 diesel RAV4 and knew it had this recurring EGR fault at the time. There is a real slow spot in the engine, especially in low gear and when cold, but once you get past that the acceleration is strong. The mechanic had already replaced the EGR and done some other stuff but couldn't get it sorted. There are several old chats in this forum on the topic, and I have put engine cleaner through the fuel tank a few times and given it a solid run on the open road. Someone said they had cleaned out the fuel pump and I will check that.

More frustrating is that sometimes the engine loses power altogether (like when the turbo packed in on a previous car), however as soon as I stop and restart the engine it's fine again. I have noticed this often happens after a downhill run - it occurs in almost exactly the same place every time I have driven to the train station which is over a steep hill from my house. So I've tried putting it in neutral and coasting down the hill, and this does seem to stop it from happening. I'm not too educated on the mechanics, but assume that when the engine is breaking the air/exhaust flows will be different to when it's under load, and wondered if that could be a clue to the problem?

I do like the car, and hope I can get this sorted. Slightly apprehensive given the number of complaints I see in this group about RAV4, though I have always thought of Toyota as a pretty reliable brand. Can't be worse than the Land Rover Discovery I used to drive...

Any and all suggestions welcome as I get to grips with my new car.

Hi, i'm having turbo issues with my 05. Like you, happens at low revs, (usually after shifting up from 3 to 4 or 4 to 5th) but often coasting down a hill, with no strain on the engine. I have so far replaced throttle body and suction control valves. I was sondering about egr valve. Am getting 1229 error code, which indicates fuel pressure issue. It is going back for service and diagnosis Tuesday. I will let you know what I find, if anything. jack

• 2 weeks later...

Take off the inlet manifold the egr the throttle body get it all vapour blasted and fit it all back. Thank me later. Did on mine recently it was filthy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links