Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does the silence of an EV make them more dangerous?

Haliotis

A couple of weeks ago, whilst reversing out of a parking space at our local Tesco, a woman walked across my rear.  Fortunately, the sensors picked her up and gave a warning.  I braked immediately, more out of reaction to the audible warning than because I had become aware of her presence.  The car was operating on electric at the time and so, because it was moving silently, in no way could I fault her for the “near miss”.    As a result, if I am unable to see a clear passage to my sides due to adjacent parked cars, I now make it a habit to activate my hazard lights, but still ease back wards in a readiness to stop abruptly should a person walk behind me.

This also reminded me of an instance when a woman had come to the car next to me and was starting to unload her trolley.  In the process, she had left a small toddler standing behind my vehicle, and this child was in my blind spot and below the level of vision out of the rear screen. With luck, my car was a conventional diesel, and starting it up alerted the mother, and I only knew of the child’s presence when, through my side mirror, I saw her grab the child and pull him/her to one side.

• Like 1

Surely the AVAS warning is enough, it makes people look 

• Like 2

I don't think EV is worse than ICE.  The problem with reversing is the noise generation is at the front and additionally muffled by cars either side. 

The other problem is people.

I have frequently had people ignore the reversing light, the indicators or the car backing out IN FRONT OF THEM.  They assume if they can see you that you cam see them.

Also, on a quiet country lane,  I have been able to creep along behind people who only became aware of me when one glances behind - and that in a 2ltr diesel Merc.

• Like 7

I don’t think that my C-HR has AVAS.  As Roy says, “The problem is people.”   This, of course, applies at any time.  For a driver it can be annoying, but due care has to be taken as, in the event of colliding with a pedestrian or cyclist, the motorist is going to be bearing costs for the accident.  It suits the legal system for it to work like this because, unlike the pedestrian or cyclist, the motorist is insured and it his/her insurance company where damages will be sought.  I think it is also true that, where an ambulance is called to an RTC, it is the driver(s) who are responsible for the costs of the ambulance.

So, despite the annoyance caused by ignorant people, for our own salvation, we drivers have to watch out for them ourselves and ‘look after’ the welfare of the stupid ones.

• Like 5

Think about how it is for a blind person.....

No sight and no sound.

There's a huge issue with the silence of EV's and people with visual impairment.

Andy

• Like 3

I don't really have a problem with reversing on EV. I ALWAYS assume there is someone there, and I'm rarely disappointed!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

That’s a whole new ball game, Andy. The greatest problem for blind people is something being where it should not be. Cars parked part way on pavements, or across pedestrian-specific walkways.

Brian, I agree with your “assumption there is someone there” and it should be sufficient.  But, in making the reversing manoeuvre, you have to look around for several things; watch vehicles on either side of you, look out of rear screen via interior mirror, ensure clearance of adjacent vehicles as you commence turning into the avenue between parking spaces. And all this care can be thwarted by a pedestrian who is approaching you, you have seen them and they have seen you, but as you continue your visual sweep they stroll on and blindly walk into your path.

When I have been sitting in my car, waiting whilst the wife goes about her business, I have watched some amazing acts of foolishness involving cars/cyclists/pedestrians. One of the worst was a teenage lad walking in same direction as traffic, who then just suddenly turned to cross the road without looking, and only reached the opposite side of the road because a driver braked hard.  The lad did not even glance around.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

One of the worst was a teenage lad walking in same direction as traffic, who then just suddenly turned to cross the road without looking, and only reached the opposite side of the road because a driver braked hard.  The lad did not even glance around.

This exact same thing happened to the Good Lady while she was driving. I was the front seat passenger. The little ******stepped off the pavement right in front of us, and although we sounded the horn and slammed on brakes (from 30mph), the little ***** took no notice. He didn't even turn around but casually continued his lazy saunter across in front of us.

This is the image from our dash cam.

Img_8389.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I try to reverse into parking spaces, and drive out,for better visibility.

Not always easy as the car parks are designed to be driven into forwards, and let the impatient drivers behind drive up to your rear bumper, and continue on their so important and urgent business.

So, even with reversing lights on, and a 20 year old engine making a bit of noise, not much to be fair.

And a slowly reversing moving car right in front of them, the lemmings choose to walk right behind it, usually with eyes glued to a smart phone, and earbuds in.

On the rare occasion that there is a blind person in a car park, I see that a great deal of care is taken by them to keep safe from moving cars.

It is a bit worrying that the responsibility for for the safety of the stupid is passed on to careful drivers.

• Like 4

I always try and reverse into a parking space if possible. It makes for a quick getaway

2 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

It is a bit worrying that the responsibility for for the safety of the stupid is passed on to careful drivers.

Just remember, you can't fix stupid 

• Like 3

Aye Big D , there is no cure for that.

As an aside,my old Yaris without a scrape in 20 years, somehow got hit by an obviously reversing car on the rear/side bumper on Tuesday.

This in a disabled space with loads of room around all the cars.

It might polish out, but once again it is the careful who pay for the careless.

My passenger at time, suggested to ask for the CCTV from Sainsbury's,ok trying to be helpful, but I knew that the "data protection" would be trotted out,so therefore a waste of time, even if on camera,no point.

• Like 3

I always reverse into bays as it's just easier to get out safely, even more so now in the Mk4 because my one has RCTA (Rear Cross-Traffic Alert) which is supposed to alert you if a car is crossing your path behind, but what it actually does is stop the car moving if a car/person/trolley/pram/seagull/crisp packet/plastic bag etc. gets anywhere within the rear arc of the car. I have on a couple occasions literally been trapped half-out of a parking space because it kept thinking there was something moving there on an imminent collision course! :laugh: 

It doesn't help that the rear 270 degrees of visibility in the Mk4 is absolutely awful, so I actually can't see - It's more blindspot than viewable area! :laugh: 

As for suicidal pedestrians/cyclists/scooters etc., spare a thought for me - I have to deal with that sort of thing practically every day!

I see all sorts, the Phone Zombie, the Hoodie'd Ear Can'er, the 20 Zone Chancer, the Oblivious Dawdler, the Road Owner, the Pram Poker, the Wobbly Cyclist, the Scooter Slinker, the Parked Car Dasher, the Gap Pouncer... honestly, you need psychic powers to drive down here! :wacko:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Big_D said:

This exact same thing happened to the Good Lady while she was driving. I was the front seat passenger. The little ******stepped off the pavement right in front of us, and although we sounded the horn and slammed on brakes (from 30mph), the little ***** took no notice. He didn't even turn around but casually continued his lazy saunter across in front of us.

This is the image from our dash cam.

Img_8389.jpg

I have noticed that this type of problem has become much, much worse since the recent changes to the highway code giving pedestrians and cyclists "priority" over other vehicles - particularly amongst children going to / returning from school. They think they have been given the right to step out into the road (without looking) and that all other road users will have to stop for them. They are going to have short and painful lives if they carry on with that idea. 

• Like 3

To quote an instructor from my biking days.....

It doesn't matter who's fault it was, it's you lying on the floor/in hospital/missing a limb/etc.etc.

With the recent law changes it now seems to be.... it's me with all the compensation ££££'s not thinking it through about what could be absolutely life changing injuries which no amount of £££'s can ever put right.

Andy.

• Like 4

Paul said, “I always try and reverse into a parking space……”.     In supermarket car parks I never do this, and it annoys me when people do so.   My only reason for this, is that shoppers will take their trolleys down between the cars to get to the boot to load up their shopping.  And guess which car they will be careful to avoid scratching!

To my wife’s disadvantage, my risk is now much lower, as she has been issued with a blue Badge, so I can park with ample room between cars.  But only when my wife is travelling in the car with me, of course.

Andy, ref driving instructors.   I passed my test in 1953.  My instructor was thorough and exercised strict discipline, which might explain my passing first time after only 9 hours of tuition.  But I have never forgot his words after I had passed, which were, “The examiner has seen it fit to give you your licence - you now have the rest of your life to continually improve your driving!” And this is what I have done.  I’ve been shunted a few times over the years, but (touching wood) I have never hit anyone or any thing, moving or stationary.

• Like 3

Make myself a habit of reversing into bays due to above reasons and much easier to drive out in narrow space. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Make myself a habit of reversing into bays due to above reasons and much easier to drive out in narrow space. 

But not so good when you are shopping and it all needs to go in the boot... 🙂

• Like 3

Better than colliding with a person I would say. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Corollanutter said:

I have noticed that this type of problem has become much, much worse since the recent changes to the highway code giving pedestrians and cyclists "priority" over other vehicles - particularly amongst children going to / returning from school. They think they have been given the right to step out into the road (without looking) and that all other road users will have to stop for them. They are going to have short and painful lives if they carry on with that idea. 

Yeah we all noticed a marked increase in this not that long after that change too, esp. along high-streets.

It's probably one of the biggest fails of the Highway Code, as it's sown so much confusion; Some people don't know about the change, while others misinterpret it and effective treat the whole road as a zebra crossing - I've seen people stop on 40MPH dual-carriageways to let people cross!!

It doesn't help that some pedestrians also treat all roads as zebra crossings as well now and will just stride across the road without looking, confident the rules will protect them from being hit by an SUV.

The most hilarious irony is that this change was ostensibly to *improve* road safety for pedestrians.

I can't help noticing that lately, every change they've made to improve safety on roads, has done the opposite!

1 hour ago, Haliotis said:

Paul said, “I always try and reverse into a parking space……”.     In supermarket car parks I never do this, and it annoys me when people do so.   My only reason for this, is that shoppers will take their trolleys down between the cars to get to the boot to load up their shopping.  And guess which car they will be careful to avoid scratching!

Ah and that reminds me of another sort that has increased - The 2-bay hogger! Apparently it's not just limited to SUVs and german cars anymore! Now, even the lowly Corsa and Micra are entitled to park across 2 bays now! :wacko:

Sometimes I feel really need to get around to gluing those Mad Max-esque spikes onto the side of my doors and bumpers...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Taking into account all the safety advantages of reversing into a parking space, I have just realised that, at our usual Tesco store, with every space where reversing is practical, there is a bollard centrally placed in each bay which virtually prevents opening of the boot lid.  In back-to-back bays where no bollards exist, the cars park so near to the line (sometimes beyond it), that an opposing car is still too near to allow opening of the boot lid.

Most of my problems are now solved by my wife having a blue Badge (when she is also present, that is), but these bays also have that centre bollard.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2023 at 9:01 PM, Big_D said:

I always try and reverse into a parking space if possible. It makes for a quick getaway

Just remember, you can't fix stupid 

There's a computer programming saying. If you design your user interface to be idiot proof someone will just invent a better idiot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I often park nose in and drive into the next bay so I can drive out.  However ....

I drove into Waitrose and waited in Ready mode as SWMBO did a brief(!) shop.  The bay in front became empty so I drove ahead. I didn't notice the kerb.

Worse,  I didn't notice the gravel filled gap between a second kerb.  Backing out created some 'up' movement and smell of hot rubber.  I found driving forward was easier and managed to climb up the other side, not straddling the gravel filled ditch.  It was easier dragging the back wheels through. 

Thank goodness it was an SUV and not a saloon.

It’s the people and only the people who are the problem. These fellas with hoodies most likely wearing a headphones, add their behaviour of ignorance and expectations from others and the results are obvious. 
One tip though when reversing out of driveway or any low visibility place crack your window open and watch the reverse camera screen. The camera has wider field of view and the open window will give us extra hearing sence to compensate lack of clear view behind. And as mentioned by another member, always assume there is someone behind and only reverse at super slow speeds ready to stop. 👌

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Taking into account all the safety advantages of reversing into a parking space, I have just realised that, at our usual Tesco store, with every space where reversing is practical, there is a bollard centrally placed in each bay which virtually prevents opening of the boot lid.  In back-to-back bays where no bollards exist, the cars park so near to the line (sometimes beyond it), that an opposing car is still too near to allow opening of the boot lid.

Most of my problems are now solved by my wife having a blue badge (when she is also present, that is), but these bays also have that centre bollard.

Depends on size of car, I have a Yaris so even with the bollards there is still a good gap for the boot. Certain supermarket car parks have a lot of space then sometimes go forward in as reversing out are easy. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2023 at 12:57 PM, TonyHSD said:

It’s the people and only the people who are the problem. These fellas with hoodies most likely wearing a headphones, add their behaviour of ignorance and expectations from others and the results are obvious. 

The attached video confirms this (with the exception of the hoodie). Take note of the green traffic light which the twit ignores

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links