Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare wheel

MargateJon

Just got new to me 2015. 65 plate Avensis Estate business edition. No spare wheel (but puncture kit), will standard wheel fit in storage place or do I have to obtain Space saver wheel.many thanks

Jon 

Hello, space saver wheel will fit better but you would need to obtain a new foam insert too as these are different shapes. I purchased a complete set including wheel, jack, brace etc off eBay for around £90

• Like 2

Hi Bugman. Thanks for reply. Did you search by part code or description i.e full size wheel?

If you can, get a full size matching alloy, so you have less worries and can rotate wheels as necessary. Also if you did use a space saver and have a front wheel puncture, the space saver has to go on the rear axle, then the rear wheel replace the punctured front. With a full size spare, just replace the punctured front. I have driven on a space saver on the rear and that felt horrible. On the front, I imagine the space saver would be terrible. 

Hi Konrad. Unfortunately I located a space saver for £58 Inc delivery.received yesterday. I understand you have to purchase a different shorter foam infill with full size wheel.nevermind I now have spcesaver plus the puncture repair kit.😂

2 hours ago, Konrad C said:

If you can, get a full size matching alloy, so you have less worries and can rotate wheels as necessary. Also if you did use a space saver and have a front wheel puncture, the space saver has to go on the rear axle, then the rear wheel replace the punctured front. With a full size spare, just replace the punctured front. I have driven on a space saver on the rear and that felt horrible. On the front, I imagine the space saver would be terrible. 

It's not really the case that the space saver has to go on the rear axle. The manual states that it only needs to go on the rear axle if there is snow and ice and you are fitting tyre chains! Which makes sense given the car is FWD and I doubt the chains would fit the space saver 😂 And traction could be interesting if they did...

I totally agree with you about getting a full size alloy. I have a space saver, and I really need to get my act together and buy a second hand alloy and the appropriate foam insert to accommodate it in the boot.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that manufacturers don't do spare wheels these days to reduce the emissions level but i really think this is a completely wrong way to go.  The spare is a piece of safety equipment and a can of fizzy jollop won't work in a split tyre or bent alloy rim from the pot-hole bingo on our highway infrastructure. 

I'd rather have a space saver, or better, a full spare, than an infotainment system, a gazillion Speakers, heated seats, a 2 gallon capacity washer bottle, cup holders etc. 

And yes, I do have a full size spare in my T25. I modified the polystyrene insert from the space saver to fit inside the alloy and hold all my spare bulbs and hi-vis for if i do have to stop roadside. 

I use to have both a spacsaver in the car and a full  size wheel at home but on a steel rim.

I put the jack under passanger front seat.

A carpet tile under the wheel wheel was locked in place with plastic disk with a extended shaft as it was originally to short. tools put inside wheel wrapped up without foam insert.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links