Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whine in every gear when accelerating

devk

Hi guys,

I just picked up a 2001 Yaris GS that whines in every gear, only when accelerating. I presume it's coming from the gearbox but I'm not really sure. It's quite loud, but is anyone aware of what it could be?

I used to get this every time I took the wife out in the car 😉

• Haha 5

Have you checked the gearbox oil level?

• Like 2

It could be anything from worn out bearings, gears, differential, bad oil or no oil. Some small cars has tendency of whining in certain gears, load and condition but it should be not too loud. Perhaps a video while this happens can be useful and you will get perhaps more accurate answers. The suggestion for checking transmission oil is good and perhaps the first steps. 

• Like 1

Remember when dodgy garages/car sales would stick a pair of tights into a noisy gearbox to quieten it down. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Remember when dodgy garages/car sales would stick a pair of tights into a noisy gearbox to quieten it down. 

Aye, that’s new to me. I knew about wood shavings back in the days but not sure was that as temporary solution or as gear oil additive 😂👌

Haha brilliant responses! Thanks for the replies firstly. I've pretty much diagnosed it now... dodgy alternator! I've ordered a new one in and will swap it out. 

It sounds EXACTLY the same as this:

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links