Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sealey Oil Filter Wrench tool VS7111

brutus-1965

Hi all,

I have been using my Sealey oil filter removal wrench with my previous Avensis and now with the Yaris.  In April I did a complete service and all was good however this time when I tried to remove the oil filter one, and then two of the teeth on the Sealey wrench have sheared off.

Last time I did a service I only nipped the filter housing up to 25Nm so i know it wasnt overtight.  This time when trying to remove the housing with the engine hot I couldnt.  Might the heat have expanded the plastic filter housing to a point where it is too tight for the wrench ?

i have emailed Sealey asking if they have experience of the teeth shearing off.

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637206247/o645mm-oil-filter-cap-wrench-14-flutes---toyota

Does anyone use anything other than Sealey VS7111 which might be more hard wearing ?

Thank you

Hi, 

they are all very similar. I have different brands one is silver and the other is black, both ,ought have some teeth missing but that is no problem because the inner flutes actually grip on the filter housing. Easiest way to undo is to wait first so temperature drops down a bit especially in hot weather. Drain the oil first and 15 min later removed the filter. And you may need to use longer breaker bar. . 

• Like 2

I use a "Draper Expert" version. Found it to be far stronger than other similar tools.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Draper-Toft-1-5010559224906-Expert-Toyota-Oil-Filter-Replacement-Tool

One thing that I would suggest, when using one of these, is to use a socket on the hexagon in preference to the 3/8" square. Too much force using the square, if the filter cover has been overtightened,  could result in the tool splitting - don't ask!

However, it must have been overtightened, on that occasion, by a 200lb Gorilla at the Toyota dealer I now never use. It needed a 600mm breaker bar to release - fortunately an aluminium cover. I suspect a plastic cover would have broken in the attempt.

17 hours ago, brutus-1965 said:

Does anyone use anything other than Sealey VS7111 which might be more hard wearing ?

Filters always stick over time. Even if you don't tighten it very hard, it will require a bit more torque to loosen it after a year or so. Therefore, I never use tools to tighten filters. Fit it finger tight and it will be removable by hand too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, APS said:

Filters always stick over time. Even if you don't tighten it very hard, it will require a bit more torque to loosen it after a year or so. Therefore, I never use tools to tighten filters. Fit it finger tight and it will be removable by hand too.

This is correct but some Toyota filters that has plastic cover and paper cartridge not possible to turn by hand only and a special socket and wrench are needed. If no torque  wrench available best way is to stop turning when there is no more to go and do not add extra force., there is a rubber seal that stops oil from dripping. 
image.thumb.jpeg.752ba87cb72f7b31e059b5635c7ab4ba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e59f2078be745be62d6dce4e70ac2486.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks all,

I emailed Sealey expecting a thanks but not interested reply but to my surprise they requested some pictures and are sending me a replacement.  I wonder if a little copperslip, silicone grease or vaseline would help for next time ?

• Like 1

I have a draper socket used it with a braker bar I was moving backwards rather than the nut turning so in the end a mallet/hammer was used just to top the end of the braker bar.

I've got various oil filter removal tools but in some cases they are hard to get in, if you have a good drip tray under the car just knock a screw driver through the filter cartridge and use it as a lever, never fails.

11 hours ago, wildtapholer said:

I've got various oil filter removal tools but in some cases they are hard to get in, if you have a good drip tray under the car just knock a screw driver through the filter cartridge and use it as a lever, never fails.

For a screw on canister, yes, but bear in mind if that doesn't release the filter, good luck.

This thread is about the paper type filter which is fitted inside a housing with a screw on cap sealed by an "o" ring.

13 hours ago, brutus-1965 said:

I wonder if a little copperslip, silicone grease or vaseline would help for next time ?

I wouldn't personally. Just smear some new oil on the new "o" ring. Other than cursing that 200lb Toyota Gorilla I've never had an issue if the cover is torqued to the correct figure, usually marked on the cover.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links