Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2000 1.0 1SZ-FE P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Error

MaxMCZ

Hello everyone,

I have inherited a 2000 1.0 (0.998) 1SZ-FE 50kW version made in Japan

Due to this being inherited, having both servo and A/C and me using it for courier work i have decided to fix it rather than get rid of it and get a new one when i started having issues and suspecting faulty timing chain (which turned out to be skipped several teeth on the gear).
I have since replaced the timing chain along with the rest of the timing things that were included in aftermarket set = timing chain, guides etc. .. everything except the big VVTI regulator
After i did that the car is drivable again however it started throwing an engine check light with P0340 and P1656 Errors for Camshaft position sensor circuit and oil control valve circuit errors.
Tried replacing both the camshaft sensor and the OCV, after we replaced the camshaft sensor one of the errors disappeared however it was actually the OCV one \o/ 
Replaced the OCV as well just in case but it didnt help either.
Do you think it is possible that the crankshaft sensor which should actually be  the same part number as the camshaft sensor just in a different part of the engine could be the issue ? Throwing faulty signal that when compared by the ECU between actually valid camshaft sensor signal and faulty crankshaft one the ECU decided was faulty from the wrong sensor ? 
Or do you think its more likely that its actually the wiring of the camshaft sensor that has become faulty/damaged ? Though we couldnt see any physical damage to it and it doesnt really make sense seeing as the camshaft sensor and its wiring are on the opposite side of the engine than the timing chain ?

Or if you have any other ideas/experience with this error code and how to fix it would be welcome as well thanks.

PS: Obviously a Yaris as written in the title but forgot to write it in the post 
And it has done roughly 133k km - 90% of it in city traffic.

Did you fit the correct sensor type, because it's new doesn't mean it's good - there is a load of Chinese junk on the market

as it's an early JDM or Jap built car, does it have a 2 or 3 wire cam sensor ?

Yes, the cam and crank sensors do run together

check the OCV filter isn't clogged (back of the head)

On 9/9/2023 at 7:13 PM, flash22 said:

Did you fit the correct sensor type, because it's new doesn't mean it's good - there is a load of Chinese junk on the market

as it's an early JDM or Jap built car, does it have a 2 or 3 wire cam sensor ?

Yes, the cam and crank sensors do run together

check the OCV filter isn't clogged (back of the head)

Hello, yeah the sensor was both same manufacturer as oem and same part number + i tried it with another OEM from another Yaris as well.
Didnt do the ocv filter yet because i have some other real life issues now i have to attend to until monday but when i wanted to check the spark plugs just in case if they didnt leave the old ones in, i found out there is oil in the plug/coil area probably leaking from the valve lid to them (so i didnt take the plugs out or it would leak into the combustion area)....
so will probably have to delid it and get new gasket again but i slightly doubt that is the cause of the error though it could both be related i guess ?

oil in the plug wells is a failed cam cover gasket that can cause misfires

I take it you barred the engine over twice checking the timing marks before releasing the tensioner

20 minutes ago, flash22 said:

oil in the plug wells is a failed cam cover gasket that can cause misfires

I take it you barred the engine over twice checking the timing marks before releasing the tensioner

Yeah i suspect there might be the two little O-ring shaped gaskets missing but will have to delid it to check maybe it is at another point

As for the second part - the final timing chain replacement and timing setting was done by a mechanic without me present.

No there already was a new gasket bought i just dont know for sure if the 2 rings u can see in the picture were there when we gave it to the mechanic or not or if they maybe lost them themselves or whatever or that the gasket was sitting in the lid for a month before being properly installed 

(it is exactly that victor reinz one from the picture you posted)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links