Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key fob or key remote (only one given to me)

BobDee08

I purchased a used Yaris 2021 model recently. The on line brochure detailed it had a space saver spare and 2 master keys. On taking delivery there was only a tyre repair kit and 1 master and 1 skeleton key.

I took this up with the dealership and was politely told that the disclaimer at the foot of the on line brochure stated that the entries were generic and distributed to local dealership. Having discussed this with the salesman, he did exchange the repair kit for a spare tyre kit. But as far as the skeleton key was concerned it was new with the car when issued. If I needed a second key I would have to purchase. I declined. 

My next move is Toyota UK and their customer relations 

• Like 1

2021 as per your post or 2022 as per your profile??

Split into new topic and moved to the Yaris forum

There is a thread on this that I cannot find. The one key was due to part shortages, a second key would be supplied once parts shortages eased. The recent purchase like yourself made a complaint to Toyota GB, the dealer then supply 2nd key free of charge, as it should be. 

• Like 1

It's weird so many dealers seem unaware of this policy; Does anyone know if it's changed or is the offer still there?

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's weird so many dealers seem unaware of this policy; Does anyone know if it's changed or is the offer still there?

AFAIK, this is still valid for all purchasers of cars with one key. It only applies however to the period they stopped supply two keys (pandemic/parts shortage).

I got two remote keys with mine, so it seems the window where they were only supplying one key was pretty limited. I know recently there were people getting upset at getting one key, and still waiting for the second when they were selling cars with two keys, but I think that's been resolved now.

• Like 1

I had a second key provided FoC and had it coded to the car last Friday.  I'd collected the car on 19/07 so it took a while to get sorted.

• Like 2

Ack, maybe the shortages are hitting again; Toyota seem to have had a lot of bad luck with their supply chain lately!

• Sad 1

Then again, the OP bought a used model (2021), so the car may have been sold to the dealer with only one remote key. For all we know, the car may well have been supplied with two remote keys when new, and who knows what may have happened to the second remote ....... lost by the original owner, etc, etc.

• Like 2

Gahh I missed the 'used' part - That's unfortunate.

The extra key offer only applied to the first owner - Since they didn't take advantage of it, you're out of luck I'm afraid :sad: 

I usually ask to see the keys when buying a used car, and if there is only 1 key I make getting another a condition of the sale, but now they've got your money you don't have much leverage unless they're willing to give you one as a good will gesture, and will probably have to stump up the cash... :sad: 

On 9/10/2023 at 4:32 PM, Mojo1010 said:

There is a thread on this that I cannot find. The one key was due to part shortages, a second key would be supplied once parts shortages eased. The recent purchase like yourself made a complaint to Toyota GB, the dealer then supply 2nd key free of charge, as it should be. 

The semi conductor shortage affecting keys did not include Yaris, early Mk4 (2020/2021) Yaris Icon & Design with mechanical flip keys only had one remote key & one non remote key from factory and is not a fault or a missing item to be rectified,

Production was altered in late 2021 to supply 2 x remote key ( no non remote ) and for the original owners a goodwill policy to supply FOC 1 x additional remote key put in place the goodwill policy only included the original owner not fleet, rental or dealer cars and would not be offered in this case.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links