Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise from brake pedal

JCT-DK

Hi.

I have noticed that there is a click sound when i press the brake pedal.

The clicking sound is when i press the pedal halfway down.

I have' nt noticed it before, so i would like to hear if this would be normal?

Thanks!

Hi, 

I think it’s normal, all cars does that, perhaps you have never noticed  on other cars as engine most likely been on and mask the noise.
One reason why Toyota cars seems noisier than others is because of that, lack or less engine/exhaust noises. 
Last night for example I  needed to drive faster than my usual slow motorway drive and the car felt kind of quieter, strange isn’t it. 

The clutch pedal does that in my car, once my foot starts to press the clutch pedal, as soon as pressure is applied to it at the top of the travel, I usually get a kind of click / clunk sound, and once it does this, it goes right to the bottom of the travel with no further noises. I usually keep my foot slightly on the clutch pedal when driving in traffic so as it then doesnt click because if I remove my foot completely. then the click gets annoying every time the pedal is pressed. I think it is down to a bit of wear in the connector from the pedal to the pushrod that operates the master cylinder. 

I would assume it is the same issue on the brake pedal in the opening post's car, probably play in the linkage between the pedal and the pushrod which causes the click when pressure is applied to the pedal and the slack and free play is taken up.

Try oil on all pivot points but make sure non is on the pedal rubber or you foot may slip off.

I get clicking from both the brake and the accelerator but it’s my ankles.  Talk about creaking gate 🙄

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Stevie J said:

I usually keep my foot slightly on the clutch pedal when driving in traffic so as it then doesnt click because if I remove my foot completely. then the click gets annoying every time the pedal is pressed. I think it is down to a bit of wear in the connector from the pedal to the pushrod that operates the master cylinder.

Not a good idea to 'ride the clutch' like that, can cause premature wear. I think you'll find a '14 reg has a cable operated clutch.

2 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Not a good idea to 'ride the clutch' like that, can cause premature wear. I think you'll find a '14 reg has a cable operated clutch.

Deffo not cable, its a hydraulic system, it has a master behind the pedal and concentric slave. Once a get out of traffic I let the pedal all the way out, as it stops the shift light on the dash working unless the pedal is all the way out. Mine's a 64 reg but I think all the 1.33 Mk3 have hydraulic clutches.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links