Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine filter?

Serban

Good evening,

I've just changed my air filter and I was looking for an engine filter, but I'm wondering if there is one at all? If so, how do I find it because I can't see any in the owner's manual either.

Toyota yaris hybrid mk4 for reference,

Cheers lads,

Confused driver

Moved to the Yaris forum.

Engine filter , you mean oil filter? There is one but these get changed with regular service at Toyota once a year or every 10k miles. Cabin filter perhaps you can check and replace if necessary. Toyota intervals are 2 years but in reality best practice is once a year or with each oil change. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Engine filter , you mean oil filter? There is one but these get changed with regular service at Toyota once a year or every 10k miles. Cabin filter perhaps you can check and replace if necessary. Toyota intervals are 2 years but in reality best practice is once a year or with each oil change. 

Not oil filter, actual engine filter like the cabin one, but for the engine? I've seen other cars have it, but judging by your confusion there isn't one lol

Every engine has a filter for at least one of it's fluid supplies and 99% of the time there will be multiple ones, so simply saying 'engine filter' is not descriptive enough. It could be a filter for the oil, combustion air, fuel, crankcase ventilation or exhaust particulates.  An air filter of some kind is always fitted on every engine I've ever come across, even on lawnmower engines where it tends to be just a piece of foam. Oil and fuel filters are sometimes not fitted on small engines such as a scooter, but they just about always exist on car engines or anything bigger (the fuel filter is usually an integral part of the pump these days).

I'm pretty certain your Yaris will have an oil filter as well as an engine air filter. The passenger cabin usually has only one filter to worry about - fitted in the air intake and usually found behind the glovebox or centre console (wherever the blower is), so that one is usually referred to as the 'cabin filter' for simplicity's sake. However, hybrid cars often have a second air filter inside the cabin area for the Battery cooling fan :)

I'm being pedantic on purpose, just to explain why we would usually think of the air filter as being for the engine air. It's something that always exists, even when the engine is not in a car.

• Like 1

Which air filter did you change then? The cabin one behind the glovebox?

The 'main' air filter for the engine is in the engine bay. It's in a big black plastic box that feeds the intake of the engine and is held shut with 2 big metal spring-clips. You can't miss it! It's on the right-side of the engine bay between the radiator and the fuse box.

(Be glad it's not like the stupid one in the 1.33 Yaris Mk2, where it's behind the engine underneath the scuttle panel... more evidence that suggests ithe 1NR-FE was shoe-horned last-minute rather than designed for the car!!)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The 'main' air filter for the engine is in the engine bay. It's in a big black plastic box that feeds the intake of the engine and is held shut with 2 big metal spring-clips. You can't miss it! It's on the right-side of the engine bay between the radiator and the fuse box.

(Be glad it's not like the stupid one in the 1.33 Yaris Mk2, where it's behind the engine underneath the scuttle panel... more evidence that suggests ithe 1NR-FE was shoe-horned last-minute rather than designed for the car!!)

I'll have a look tomorrow, thanks. Apparently I did miss it, but then again not knowing what to look for haha

I changed the one behind the glove box, yes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Serban said:

Not oil filter, actual engine filter like the cabin one, but for the engine? I've seen other cars have it, but judging by your confusion there isn't one lol

Engine filter !?
- what filter actually. You said you had changed the air filter, then next post , the one behind the glove box., here it is your air filter located in a black box under bonnet.
image.thumb.jpeg.6d6d7a49776b9ddf0bf9afe9895320c6.jpeg
This and the oil filter are only filters related to the engine and of course the fuel filter. Non of which is called an engine filter. 
You have a hybrid Battery filter to worry about, it is located on the rear seat.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Engine filter !?
- what filter actually. You said you had changed the air filter, then next post , the one behind the glove box., here it is your air filter located in a black box under bonnet.
image.thumb.jpeg.6d6d7a49776b9ddf0bf9afe9895320c6.jpeg
This and the oil filter are only filters related to the engine and of course the fuel filter. Non of which is called an engine filter. 
You have a hybrid battery filter to worry about, it is located on the rear seat.

I'm aware of the glove box filter, oil filter and hybrid Battery filter being 3 separate ones. I've also thought there would be an engine filter or how you named it, fuel filter, lol. Perhaps is semantics, I've seen some videos online of other people changing a filter on other cars under the bonnet where you detach some clips that hold the box over the engine and they change the filter there, they call it an engine filter and it looks similar to the cabin filter(glove box). 

You with me now? Hahaha

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

Found it! Thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links