Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Extended warranty - consequential damage?

Roger860

Brake judder on 2017 Prius diagnosed as a rear calliper fault. Rear callipers and streched handbrake cables replaced under the extended warranty. Replacement rear discs and pads replaced but not covered under the warranty as their damage was said to be "consequential" and therefore not covered??!!

New rear discs and pads had been fitted 6months (3000miles) earlier!!

Is this correct/logical/a common problem?

Thanks

Roger

Both pads & discs, as you might know are wear & tear items not covered by the warranty but I would be concerned that in your case where you’ve actually replaced these items so recently, the garage/Toyota didn’t honour this fact & cover them especially as it sounds like the faulty callipers must have caused the damage. I’d query their decision. 

I’ve had my Prius from new since 2016 & had a recent service & mot carried out. The car has done 47,000 miles but neither brake pads or discs needed replacing. My previous Gen 3 Prius did well over 60,000 miles & I never had to have any brake pads or discs replacing. As a matter of interest how many miles has your Prius done?

• Like 1

Consequential damage is not covered under warranty generally, and never on a used car warranty. 

64,000 miles

Consequences: The faulty calliper caused damage to the discs such that they had to be replaced after 3000miles use. It is illogical that these costs were not covered. It's not obvious to me from the terms of the warranty that they can get away with this.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply. I certainly agree with you & it seems like penny pinching on the behalf of Toyota to charge you for pads & discs. Had they been well used for a few years & hence worn, I would agree that as a wear & tear item they would be chargeable to replace. However, 3000 miles & 6months wear to the extent they needed replacement must be down to the faulty callipers & I still think for fairness they ought to have been covered by the warranty.

If the car was within the original 5 year Manufacturers cover there would have been provision for covering the discs/pads however both discs/pads are specifically excluded from cover under the terms of both a Toyota used car extended warranty or Service activated warranty regardless of circumstance.

If the pads/discs recently installed where done by a Toyota dealer using genuine parts there may be scope for a Goodwill request from Toyota customer relations?

• Like 2

I understand that "fair wear and tear" is not covered under warranty. Arguably, this was not "fair wear and tear".

• Like 1

I believe that the brake discs and pads in this case should be free of charge as the consequence for the premature wear was fault with other components where should haven’t happened. 
Is that all happening in the same garage, dealer? 
Poor workmanship often is culprit of most car problems. 

After new rear callipers, rear discs and pads there is still a brake judder - gentle braking from 60/70mph.

Now said to be a front disc/pad problem!

A second opinion said it was clear, by sound when pulling away from standing, that the front discs were in poor condition - rusted in patches - and that would lead to this sort of judder with no steering wheel shake.

Perhaps the judder was nothing to do with the rear brakes??!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links