Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coming to a MOT station near you soon

tfc

Heard through the grapevine that all hybrid cars will loose their emissions test exemption  soon. Test centers have already been given instructions on how to carry out emissions test on various manufacturers vehicles.

Plus a host of other checks are to be carried out through OBD 2 port, mainly to do with the safety features on newish cars but he did say maybe not all of them might not come into force but they are looking into it now.

• Like 2

It had to come sooner or later.

I swear the Government is making it more difficult for car owners, and is trying to get everyone to use public transport.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Big_D said:

It had to come sooner or later.

I swear the Government is making it more difficult for car owners, and is trying to get everyone to use public transport.

The trouble is Public transport especially if you live in rural areas is not very user friendly. Many elderly people in these areas have to rely on their cars as public transport is not a viable alternative.

Amazing. They'll clamp down on Hybrids (still the only actual practical / best so far solution to climate concerns on our roads). Punishing all of those who freely, from their own good will, spent hard earned cash on what they believed was the best / greenest / most considerate option for a car - who didn't choose gas guzzling 4x4s, low-mpg performance cars or dirty diesels, even though they certainly could have for the money. 

And yet, people can drive around in their older, tax free diesels, modified to remove important air quality and emissions parts - and still pass MOTs.... or did they [hopefully] clamp down on all of that too with the upcoming change to the MOT? 

• Like 1

I didn't even know hybrids were exempt! :laugh: 

Was there a reason for this? Or was it just because MOT testers couldn't figure out how to run the engine? :laugh: 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Basil-BarryC said:

The trouble is Public transport especially if you live in rural areas is not very user friendly. Many elderly people in these areas have to rely on their cars as public transport is not a viable alternative.

I agree. They have also closed our closest bus stop. For me, public transport is not a viable option at all.

• Sad 1

It’s all about forcing motorists off the roads.  How soon will these pious, ideolistic lugheads try to bring back the man walking in front with the red flag?

• Like 2

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Apart from personal safety, the emissions test is the main benefit of having the car inspected every year. If your emissions are high then you're probably wasting your fuel and your money. Speaking for myself, I'm quite keen on the idea of being apprised of such things. After 27 years of taking cars in for MOTs, I'm please to learn that this one WON'T be the first to not have some form of emissions test.

• Like 2

I don't think there is any fuss about having the emissions tested, and I agree with what you say. I tend to change my cars every three years, at the moment, so this really doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

It's fake news (Facebook strikes again), no way can an MOT station have the equipment to test every type of car let alone test for emissions you would need hundreds of thousands in tools alone It's just not practical plus it would treble the MOT costs

The only practical testing you could do is to make sure the drive monitors are all set, then that gets into liability issues

The tax rules change in 2025 for EV and Hybrid existing cars will be grandfathered in

this is one of many petitions

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/632104

CofS.thumb.jpg.a92fa7bc08f24641779db3ecd98ff392.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That petition was a big success. 175 people were aware of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a look at that particular petition and noticed it had a total of 175 signatures. 

petition.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's fake news (Facebook strikes again), no way can an MOT station have the equipment to test every type of car let alone test for emissions you would need hundreds of thousands in tools alone It's just not practical plus it would treble the MOT costs

The only practical testing you could do is to make sure the drive monitors are all set, then that gets into liability issues

The tax rules change in 2025 for EV and Hybrid existing cars will be grandfathered in

Thanks for shooting that down; We have enough bad news without having to make it up more of it too!!!

Its like rasing the age you can get your driving licence 18/21/25 I think that one has been around for 40-50+ years - way before my time

Had a look at the MOT handbook and resources, no changes for emissions plus it will be put out for consultation first

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, flash22 said:

it will be put out for consultation first

A mere formality. If they want it introduced, no matter how much consultancy is done, it will be implemented. They'll choose the consultancy team with those who are for the change

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, flash22 said:

Not fake news at all, it never came from Facebook or any third party but from a senior DVSA mot inspector, Price between £5000 to £10000 on equipment. 

Hybrids only need it go into maintenance mode and this can be done with no special tools but will need 3 new emission equipment which include new tests for Diesels, most garages if not all will a level 2 or higher OBD2 scanner these days.

Hybrid powered cars to lose their emissions check exemption.

OBD checks to interrogate the car for braking/steering/suspension defects.

OBD checks on safety features such as lane deviation, emergency braking, autonomous cars etc.

Some of these may never happen, but are being discussed.

It's not practical to enforce, no way will any tester know the nuances of every make, model and year - The only way is to have oem tools and oem software to ensure the data is correct, not all equipment is equal

It will double the time and double or triple the costs to £150-200 for an MOT - retraining/re-qualifying costs will be astronomical

DVSA ran a consulfation exercise between January and March 2023 covering whether the first MOT should be at 4 years instead of 3, possible changes around monitorig of emissions to reduce pollution, measures to ensure the safety of batteries fitted to electric and hybrid vehicles, etc. 27 areas of MOT testing were covered by this consultation.

Until the results of the consultation are published, and decisions made by Government about what changes to the MOT are needed, if any, it is business as usual. MOT testers may well have fed into the consultation, but whether or not changes will be made and when, is conjecture.

Flash they said that when mot stations had to change from a £100 Bowmonk or Tapley brake decelerometer which I used back in the 70's to the roller brake testers  that cost thousands but they did.

Yes maybe some garages might fold due to the expense, but this for new emissions testing equipment for diesels, from what he has told me most hybrids will rev without doing any thing they have already sorted Toyota / Lexus without any added cost as the original equipment will be used.

Barry Sheerman, MP, who is the chairman of the Westminster Commission for Road Air Quality (WCRAQ) has submitted a Bill in Parliament to mandate the new Diesel emissions equipment, and it recently passed its first reading.

Problem with the UK mot system we are always behind Europe  they have already been using these particle counters for years .

It's had a 10 minute reading and has a long way to go,

this is only a motion

https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/60522/air-pollution-from-vehicles

https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3424

and nothing has been published

Toyota does not produce any diesels for the UK market, so the point is moot

so your facts are based on hearsay, conjecture and unpublished information

We need to wait until the results of the consultation in January-March 2023 are known, and changes, if any, are finalised by Government.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links