Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross - User experience

HelloWorld

Hi all,

My wife and I have been looking for a new car and after a few test drives we've pretty much settled on the Yaris Cross. I was wondering what your experiences of this model are so far? We're impressed by the fuel economy numbers, but slightly concerned about the engine being noisy or the Battery going flat due to inactivity. What have your experiences with this model been?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HelloWorld said:

Hi all,

My wife and I have been looking for a new car and after a few test drives we've pretty much settled on the Yaris Cross. I was wondering what your experiences of this model are so far? We're impressed by the fuel economy numbers, but slightly concerned about the engine being noisy or the battery going flat due to inactivity. What have your experiences with this model been?

I too shared your concerns over engine noise, scouring every review I could find, I even spoke to other owners ( I accosted them in car parks) but, I can say it’s not really an issue, yes, if you floor it or have the cc set to 70 going up a steep it does get noisy, but in normal driving, it’s no more noisy than my previous ford puma, I would suggest taking it for an extended test drive and try to find a dual carriageway or motorway and run it up to speed, you do change your driving style to suit the hybrid which is a good thing as you find yourself trying to eke out your mpg figures…

• Like 4

The noise is directly proportional to how much power you demand from the car - If you drive aggressively, you'll get the full thrum of the 3 cylinder engine; If you're a very sedate driver, you might never even hear the engine.

I tend to flip-flop between the two :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find my YC very easy and relaxing to drive, best car i've owned in that respect, helped by the smooth seamless auto box, however I am disappointed with engine and road noise, I have found that even using moderate acceleration the engine is noisier than most cars I have owned, higher speed cruising is fine. lack of adequate soundproofing and questionable carpet materials make me think that Toyota have "spoiled the ship for a ha'peth of tar"      

• Like 1

I'd rather have a noisier car than a less reliable one tho'.

If you want a more refined one, that's what the Lexus LBX is for, but I'm guessing you won't want to pay the extra for it...

If you want to keep it quiet, try to keep the power demand within the 'Eco' band - It'll stay around 2000rpm and in Atkinson/Miller-cycle mode and that's where it's quietest. As soon as you dip into the Power band, it starts to climb to 3000rpm and above, and will switch to Otto-cycle mode too, which really brings out that 3-cylinder thrum.

I prefer to keep my accelerations brief but rapid :naughty: 

• Like 2

When I need power I ain't concentrating on the noise..............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

If you want a more refined one, that's what the Lexus LBX is for, but I'm guessing you won't want to pay the extra for it...

If you want to keep it quiet, try to keep the power demand within the 'Eco' band - It'll stay around 2000rpm and in Atkinson/Miller-cycle mode and that's where it's quietest. As soon as you dip into the Power band, it starts to climb to 3000rpm and above, and will switch to Otto-cycle mode too, which really brings out that 3-cylinder thrum.

Exactly.  These journalists irritate me when they say “if you push it, the revs flare”, well if you drop a Craptour down a cog it does the same but I’d rather have a going Cross flare than a not going Craptour which is exactly what happens IF you can make it out of the warranty period.  

• Like 2

Ive had my Cross for nearly 2 years now and it's fine for my everyday needs. I changed down from a Rav Hybrid which was better on motorways than the X but round town in smaller spaces and nipping in and out the X is great. The engine does flare under hard acceleration or going up steep hills and I say, like in a review I read somewhere, the bear has woken up. I have liked the X enough to order another in GR trim basically because I preferred the seat fabric and different colour choice. The fuel consumption has averaged out at 63mpg and according to the app it runs over 50% of the time in electric mode so on that score I don't think you can grumble. Concerns over starting haven't been an issue but I have used the car every day. Ive had many different makes over the last 50 years and each has its pros and cons but for me Toyotas have proved the most reliable.

• Like 6

I've had mine for just over a month 1500 miles done , Its hybrid and you do get that revving sound when overtaking but it in no way is a problem.

No issues at all with the Battery either  the other half does a lot of small journeys. I do keep it in ready mode once a week when I'm giving the car a wash  also bought Battery jump starter just in case.

Its great car  I don't regret buying it, But I do wish id taken it for a extended test drive before ordering. Some little things that maybe important you you will only notice on a good test drive, for me the Sat Nav  on 9 inch screen seems a step backwards from what I had on my old CHR ( might have been better to take the city pack and the smaller screen, The seat belts are not height adjustable. Heating controls to me seem a bit awkward to use.  I cant find away to disable all the door unlocking on the fob press  on other Toyotas you can set it up to just open the drivers door. These are are all personal things.

Its a joy to drive and the MPG is great my average 64.9 and I've done most of the 1500 miles on the motorway.

Ask the dealer for longer test drive in past I've had cars over night for a test drive and I think that's the only way to get a real  feel for the car .

The 10/15 minute test drive is not long enough its fine when you are narrowing down which car to buy but once you narrow down go for the longer drive .

• Like 1

My wife’s aunt and uncle took a test drive in one and they said it was noisy, he has a discovery sport, and she runs an old A class merc, ( he also runs an Aston Martin but that’s another story) , so I suppose coming from those most cars will be noisier, as with any car coming from a different brand will seem strange, some features won’t be the same , others may be done better, I like how everything works on my cross, sign recognition works flawlessly never failing to identify a speed limit sign, the kick activated boot also works better than my previous car, other things, like the lights not coming on if the wipers are working, and the rear wiper not coming on when you reverse ( when it’s raining) seem a bit backwards, but, it’s not a huge issue.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

Would think there will be less engine noise when the 130bhp comes out. That would probably be my next car after having fun with the normal Yaris MK4 for a few years. 

OP wait for the premiere cross to come out. 

• Like 3

I am very curious about how that performs... it's only a very modest bump on paper, but MG2 has been beefed up significantly :naughty: . If they really make one with a HUD and heated seats I'd be very tempted... 

I don't mind the engine so much tho' - It's definitely not as refined as the silky smooth 4-pots, but as I'm a DERV head I find the thrummy 3-pot dakka weirdly soothing :laugh:  (And because I modulate the accelerator instead of just flooring it, I can make it sound awesome when I'm accelerating :naughty: )

• Like 3

Think the 130bhp will make a difference to the noise, not on the level from MK3 to MK4. Get to the desire speed quicker therefore less of a prolonged struggle. 

Same, prefer diesel for torque and economy, Toyota are making improvement on torque with each generation of hybrid.

• Like 4

Having both a Yaris and a Rav I think the 130bhp, or rather the uplift to the electric motor, will make a real difference.

The Yaris is more effortlessly nippier at low speeds than the Rav, but the Rav is quite a bit faster going from 50 to 70, 60 to 80.

I think it's here, on motorway and dual carriageway driving, where the improved ev will really benefit.

• Like 3

Actually Mojo had nailed it with the second comment about 130 engine, it will make exact same noise but it will reach desired speed quicker and so less disturbing screaming overall, same as other bigger engine hybrids like Corolla, rav4 , Camry etc. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

That 130 engine has a balance shaft too which should smooth it out quite a lot.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Really?? Thank smeg for that!!

This is why I like Toyota, they learn from their mistakes!!

Shame the newer 115s probably won't get one, but still...!

Where did you read that anyway? It's the first I heard of it, but should be bigger news!! (At least to nerds like me :laugh: )

• Like 3

If that is the case then the cross premiere 130 would be high on my next car list, need the more practical boot space more than anything. Higher seating position will Bea bonus. 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 2:57 PM, HelloWorld said:

Hi all,

My wife and I have been looking for a new car and after a few test drives we've pretty much settled on the Yaris Cross. I was wondering what your experiences of this model are so far? We're impressed by the fuel economy numbers, but slightly concerned about the engine being noisy or the battery going flat due to inactivity. What have your experiences with this model been?

I'm not the main driver, in fact have only driven it a few times, but ours in now 2 months old and it travels on average 2x3 mile journeys around town every 2nd day. According to the read out, MPG is sitting at 55mpg and have had no Battery issues whatsoever.

When it kicks in, the engine sounds OK pottering around town. It's not OK if you're accelerating - sounds like an old washing machine on spin cycle. Speaking of noise, what I find annoying is at approx 60mph, the door mirrors generate wind noise which I think is quite intrusive. As a town car it works great but it's not a car I'd chose for longer journies. There's no getting around the fact that the car has minimal soundproofing ( I'm guessing to keep weight down ).

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 2:57 PM, HelloWorld said:

Hi all,

No issues to report here! Going for the DCM update next week. It has sat for a couple of weeks over Christmas and was fine. Just don't switch it on in accessory mode. Make sure "Ready" is displayed any time you switch it on.

Don't focus on the "noisy engine". It really isn't. That is just motoring journalist BS. The engine isn't running half the time (depends on your speed, obviously). The same for "eCVT" - it isn't a CVT at all. It's a planetary gear set; totally different, and far superior to ANYTHING. Absolutely bomb-proof.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links