Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

DAB switching to Bluetooth......

Lawnmowerman

Listening to DAB Radio 2 the other day and it just switched to bluetooth reception. I had Radio 2 on BBC Sounds on my iPhone - but not playing. Despite selecting DAB again it quickly reverted to bluetooth. I changed the setting on my phone to another BBC Sounds channel - but not playing. I then started my car with Radio 2 on DAB but very quickly it changed to bluetooth - with the other channel playing. Only thing I could do was to delete the BBC Sounds app.

Anyone else experienced this?

I have/had similar when using bluetooth media to get Google maps nav voice to play through the car Speakers. It kept auto starting the music player on my phone. It was also plugged into the USB for power.

I ended up uninstalling the player to solve the problem quickly, but haven't tested it again since then. (Funnily enough tonight is a chance to do so.)

Might be an autoplay option on your BBC app that can be turned off.

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Was the phone plugged in at the time ?? And charging

No - stand alone.

2 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Listening to DAB Radio 2 the other day and it just switched to Bluetooth reception. I had Radio 2 on BBC Sounds on my iPhone - but not playing. Despite selecting DAB again it quickly reverted to Bluetooth. I changed the setting on my phone to another BBC Sounds channel - but not playing. I then started my car with Radio 2 on DAB but very quickly it changed to Bluetooth - with the other channel playing. Only thing I could do was to delete the BBC Sounds app.

Is the mode switch on the steering wheel sticky or stuck down?

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Funnily enough tonight is a chance to do so.

After reinstalling the player I went through the settings and turned off all the autoplay functions and that seems to have fixed it. These things always seem to have default settings of "Me, me, me, me, ... )

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Is the mode switch on the steering wheel sticky or stuck down?

No - it's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 5:32 PM, Lawnmowerman said:

Listening to DAB Radio 2 the other day and it just switched to bluetooth reception. I had Radio 2 on BBC Sounds on my iPhone - but not playing. Despite selecting DAB again it quickly reverted to bluetooth. I changed the setting on my phone to another BBC Sounds channel - but not playing. I then started my car with Radio 2 on DAB but very quickly it changed to bluetooth - with the other channel playing. Only thing I could do was to delete the BBC Sounds app.

Hi.  I’ve had this problem with my new Yaris cross.   Turned off the auto play on bbc sounds but it still happening.  Even with app turned off on phone and media unselected on cars bluetooth setting    Car keeps defaulting to bluetooth media. 

For some reason, the DAB radio cuts out every now and again but I’ve recently noticed it happening more frequently.  Sometimes it only cuts out for a few seconds, so I don’t know if I’m in a bad reception area for DAB radio.  When I’m tuned into FM it works perfectly fine.

5 hours ago, Jimota said:

For some reason, the DAB radio cuts out every now and again but I’ve recently noticed it happening more frequently.  Sometimes it only cuts out for a few seconds, so I don’t know if I’m in a bad reception area for DAB radio.  When I’m tuned into FM it works perfectly fine.

Since I've had my new Yaris, I've lost DAB a few times (in a city), whereas my old Yaris it wasn't ever a problem. The big difference is my old Yaris had a proper whip antenna with the correct length aerial, whereas my new Yaris has a shark-fin antenna, which are notorious for poor reception. They rely on being super-sensitive, but they are still trying to defy the laws of physics for antenna size, and so when the signal becomes weak or suffers multi-path reflections, it dies sooner.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2023 at 5:32 PM, Lawnmowerman said:

Listening to DAB Radio 2 the other day and it just switched to Bluetooth reception. I had Radio 2 on BBC Sounds on my iPhone - but not playing. Despite selecting DAB again it quickly reverted to Bluetooth. I changed the setting on my phone to another BBC Sounds channel - but not playing. I then started my car with Radio 2 on DAB but very quickly it changed to Bluetooth - with the other channel playing. Only thing I could do was to delete the BBC Sounds app.

I am having exact same issue, its driving me potty.   Had car back to the dealer who thought it might be due to carplay but having turned this off on the MyToyota app same problem resumed after a day or so.    Im having to turn Media off on the devices list at least twice a day to keep radio or DAB on for any length of time as it keeps turning itself back on 

Hope a solution is forthcoming - I jumped ship to a Lexus UX.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links