Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Comparison

YarisHybrid2016

Owning both models of Yaris, it's interesting to compare them (not intentionally; just one of those things).

Before falling completely into the rabbit hole, they are obviously different cars. Different wheels, one is slightly heavier, and the Cross has a 10,000 mile advantage over the Yaris.

The Cross is not my daily driver (I have a Yaris) but I do drive it a bit. I drove both back-to-back the other day for an hour or so, and couldn't help but think the Cross seemed to pull better in EV mode. I can't believe my driving style would change that much as the two are very similar indeed. Just looking at the power meter and what it took to get the two cars rolling (same roads), the Cross seemed to require quite a bit less power.

It also seemed to want to run in EV mode from cold a bit longer than the Yaris.

Can this really be the difference of 10k miles? If it is, then I can't wait to see what the Yaris is really capable of. It's excellent even now. As of this writing it has 1800 miles on it.

• Like 4

I've found this in my own Mk4 Yaris. Just clocked up 11400 miles and I swear it just keeps on getting better and better. One thing that has been most notable is that my mpg between neck-to-neck fill-ups is getting better and better each time. Another thing I have noticed is that I can do a round trip to the local shops in EV mode 90% of the way (as long as the SoC was good at the start) there and back. I could never do that when the car was new...

• Like 8

7 hours ago, CPN said:

I've found this in my own Mk4 Yaris. Just clocked up 11400 miles and I swear it just keeps on getting better and better. One thing that has been most notable is that my mpg between neck-to-neck fill-ups is getting better and better each time. Another thing I have noticed is that I can do a round trip to the local shops in EV mode 90% of the way (as long as the SoC was good at the start) there and back. I could never do that when the car was new...

They definitely get better.  I once spoke to someone on the development side who suggested that the engine management is subdued for a period (I think circa 5000 miles was mooted at the time) to help the bedding in process and many engine ecu’s have a learning parameter that will adapt to the driving style.  In other words it might increase performance up to about 5% by driving hard and reduce it into eco by the same by very steady driving.  That thing of Cyker’s is probably up to 7% the way he drives it 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. When I got my Gen.3 I remember the first roundabout near the dealer - the car just did not want to move. Of course, I adapted my driving immediately (and didn't want to push it hard anyway), but it was very obviously slower than the car I took for a test drive.

I've got some milage to do in the next couple of weeks, so I'm probably going to be pushing 3k by the time I'm done.

It's already quite easy to get a computer reported 75 MPG average. This tank is looking like I'll get 440 miles out of it, but I've been doing some shorter town driving which doesn't help. As before, she definitely prefers longer journeys unless you just get the right combination of road and SoC. By town driving, I mean max. 3 miles one-way with lots of stop/go.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, G L J said:

Thanks Tony. Abbreviations are not always obvious.

And new ones are coming out nearly every other week 🤔

• Like 3

Indeed. And the things gets even worse when communicating with younger people. Sometimes I need to visit Google search to translate myself the text sent by my daughters and then reply 😂😉👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 9/23/2023 at 1:46 AM, CPN said:

One thing that has been most notable is that my mpg between neck-to-neck fill-ups is getting better and better each time.

Same here with the usual caveats, i.e. similar temperatures, and tyre pressures correct.

• Like 4

Could I ask how much wider the cross  feels over the standard Yaris I ask as the MK3 is quite narrow I would guess only 5 inches between the seat bases, are they much wider? 

• Like 2

It might just be me, but even the normal Mk4 Yaris feels a lot wider than the Mk1 and Mk2 to me!!

I definitely can't drive through 2m width restrictions at 30mph like I could in those :laugh: 

• Like 2

30mph through width restrictions? Not surprised as london has many a yob driving 😂

• Like 1

I have no idea what you're talking about :whistling1: :laugh: 

(I must admit it was fun when being tail-gated by SUV drivers who were trying to bully my little Mk1 tho' :devil2:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yaris cross is tiny, no problems at all plus it’s higher than the standard Yaris with very good high seating position and visibility, and flat bonnet that also can be seen if you are a tall person or have your seat high. 
Here something cool 

• Like 1

Ah yes I've seen that; I was amazed people weren't regularly injured or even killed by that! :eek: 

The irony is that's supposedly to *increase* safety! :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/24/2023 at 12:10 AM, Bernard Foy said:

And new ones are coming out nearly every other week 🤔

You mean eow 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2023 at 1:58 PM, Max_Headroom said:

Could I ask how much wider the cross  feels over the standard Yaris I ask as the MK3 is quite narrow I would guess only 5 inches between the seat bases, are they much wider? 

Hmm... hard to say, as the Cross is a bit taller. When I get my car back I'll make a point of actually looking how wide they are! When my car was PDI'd they drilled the tailgate to fit the numberplate. They are now fixing that!!!!!

While it *feels* wider, I often glance in the left wing mirror and find I'm further out from the curb than I think I am, so in that way I guess I'm compensating for the apparent width. I do struggle with tight corners in it though. More than a couple of times now I've hit the awkward corners of curbs with one or more wheels as I have turned slightly too early/not gone out quite wide enough, but that is more due to the hood than the width of the car. The Cross definitely feels longer than the Yaris at the front for sure, even though it is actually only a couple of inches more bodywork.

When I have both cars avail, I'll get some reference photos.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2023 at 6:28 PM, Cyker said:

Ah yes I've seen that; I was amazed people weren't regularly injured or even killed by that! :eek: 

The irony is that's supposedly to *increase* safety! :laugh: 

I drive for a living and the standard of driving in this country is terrible everyone seems to be in such a rush,  the two cars below have no problems so there is no reason anyone should hit the bollards the warning signs clearly state Width 2.1 meters or 7 feet if drivers are paying attention they will have no problems the rest learn the hard way. 

In the second video one guy says its unfair as some people dont know the width of their vehicle well sorry if you cannot judge the width of a gap you are going to attempt to get through properly you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Another compilation - 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's that simple - One of the fun cut-through roads I used to take is signposted as 6' 6" but I'd easily drive my Mk1 and Mk2 up it without even slowing, and have seen Transit vans get through without even a scrape (albeit much more cautiously!)

That restriction is supposedly 7', but from the POV video, the gap looks smaller than my 6' 6" road, and you see some cars take it super slow and still somehow hit the posts!

I've never seen anyone have an actual impact with any of the restrictions around here (Maybe the odd scrape), and the drivers around here are not particularly great, yet that one has had countless impacts and even the police have been victim to it, so there must be something else going on with it...!

7 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I drive for a living and the standard of driving in this country is terrible everyone seems to be in such a rush,  the two cars below have no problems so there is no reason anyone should hit the bollards the warning signs clearly state Width 2.1 meters or 7 feet if drivers are paying attention they will have no problems the rest learn the hard way. 

In the second video one guy says its unfair as some people dont know the width of their vehicle well sorry if you cannot judge the width of a gap you are going to attempt to get through properly you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Another compilation - 

Agree with you Max.  The standard of driving in the UK leaves a lot to be desired.  However, I’d much rather drive through any of the big cities in this country compared to rush hour traffic in Paris, Rome and my personal nightmare is Athens.  Great cities to visit as a tourist but driving through them is an absolute nightmare.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Cyker said:

That restriction is supposedly 7', but from the POV video, the gap looks smaller than my 6' 6" road, and you see some cars take it super slow and still somehow hit the posts!

I  have searched for the  vehicle and its 1920mm wide (enlarged picture below)  

6.6 feet = 2011.68

7.0 = 2133.6

If its 7 feet there would be 106mm each side only 45mm if 6.6 feet,  i think its 7 feet judging from the photo.

ttttttttte.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:10 PM, Max_Headroom said:

Another compilation - 

Absolutely. 
People are insanely stupid these days and use no brain when driving. Then the bad has happened and everyone is crying. Every accident with damage to cars and casualties could have been prevented or those could have been reduced to minimum if the speed was lower., more sensible.
No sense, no responsibility, no sober thinking. Majority of drivers are either on drugs or alcohol, or mixture of both, add the pressure they put themselves under and the results are obvious. 
If statistics mark lower accidents in comparison to previous years is only become of the latest safety tech built into the cars, not because of the drivers. Actually the drivers ability to drive sensibly and safe are lowest ever. 
No offence but here there are typical and common mistakes many English drivers does, it’s kind of like character of the average uk driver, and not only uk but let’s say today’s drivers around the world. 

1. Speeding 

2. Late braking 

2.5 Hard acceleration 

3. Tailgating, no distance at all 

4. Cutting off after overtake 

4.5. Holding the middle lane. 

5. Driving with the same speed or even faster when weather is bad, rain, fog, ice and snow 

6. Driving with different tyres 

7. Keep engines idle for no reason at all and especially at school gates when waiting for their children 

8. Not checking under bonnet fluids and tyre pressure regularly 

9. Driving with full beams or late change 

10. Reversing at high speed 

There are probably more , but these are most common and something that I am dealing  with on daily basis. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links