Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie!

FSL80

Hi,
I recently had my Suzuki Carry stolen and have been looking at possible replacements...

I've seen a very lovely looking 1992 Toyota Hiace, 138000 miles, years MOT (no advisories on cert), 4 owners, diesel, 7 seater with wind out awning.

Im going to see it on Sunday - the asking price is £6,250.

Hubby thinks I'm nuts and the mileage is way too high.

Any thoughts/advice/words of wisdom HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance 💚

Hi Lauren, welcome lots of good advice when you need it and always welcome when you give it.

Depending on your own reasons for buying the Hiace in my opinion I would avoid buying this due to the age. You can pick up many Toyota later models with less milage for your budget.👍

1 minute ago, Bper said:

Hi Lauren, welcome lots of good advice when you need it and always welcome when you give it.

Depending on your own reasons for buying the Hiace in my opinion I would avoid buying this due to the age. You can pick up many Toyota later models with less milage for your budget.👍

Thank you so much for your reply - I really appreciate it.

I am looking for something as reliable as my Suzuki but with more space/seats. Everything I've read says the Hiace is incredibly reliable - although chugs more fuel. 

I wondered if something of this mileage would be reliable? Or likely to give me lots of issues? How much would you pay for the van I've seen?

It's a really cosmetically pretty van (resprayed in 2016) with a well looked after interior, new carpets etc.

Ultimately, reliability and affordable repairs are my priority as I would be using it very regularly. 

Thanks again 

Hi Lauren, the Hiace is 31 years old and whilst cosmetically it may look fine it must be expected that a vehicle of this age is inevitably going to need many replacement parts due to its age regardless of being a Toyota. I would check the service history and MOTs to see what has been done and replaced over the years. I would look at a few other Hiace's for sale online with similar milage etc to get an idea how this compares to the one you would like to buy.

Hope this helps.

25 minutes ago, FSL80 said:

Thank you so much for your reply - I really appreciate it.

I am looking for something as reliable as my Suzuki but with more space/seats. Everything I've read says the Hiace is incredibly reliable - although chugs more fuel. 

I wondered if something of this mileage would be reliable? Or likely to give me lots of issues? How much would you pay for the van I've seen?

It's a really cosmetically pretty van (resprayed in 2016) with a well looked after interior, new carpets etc.

Ultimately, reliability and affordable repairs are my priority as I would be using it very regularly. 

Thanks again 

10 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Lauren, the Hiace is 31 years old and whilst cosmetically it may look fine it must be expected that a vehicle of this age is inevitably going to need many replacement parts due to its age regardless of being a Toyota. I would check the service history and MOTs to see what has been done and replaced over the years. I would look at a few other Hiace's for sale online with similar milage etc to get an idea how this compares to the one you would like to buy.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your wisdom! 💚

I suspect it's trying to be sold at campervan price level...but it's a risk for sure.

The Hiace is a good bus...and reliable, but it is getting on in years and is inevitably going to need "attention".

Personally I'd give it a miss unless it was exceptional and had much proven attention and care in its life.

Do the online MOT check which will give you past indications of its "wellbeing"

You could get a much newer Estima(Previa) for that money.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links