Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I approach my car and the courtesy light comes on...

glimp

...even before I touch the door handle. Never had that on a car - and it threw me for a while. I've just spent 5 minutes in the dark walking up to the car and walking away again, with my dog in my arms. The neighbours know I'm weird, so it's okay.

What a pity the courtesy light is useless, because this could have been a good idea.

It was a bit disconcerting at first, because I thought the light had been left on and was draining the Battery, but now I know better.

Currently I'm having an internal battle with myself about wind deflectors - do they look nice or do they look pathetic? The jury's out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, glimp said:

...even before I touch the door handle. Never had that on a car - and it threw me for a while. I've just spent 5 minutes in the dark walking up to the car and walking away again, with my dog in my arms. The neighbours know I'm weird, so it's okay.

What a pity the courtesy light is useless, because this could have been a good idea.

It was a bit disconcerting at first, because I thought the light had been left on and was draining the battery, but now I know better.

Currently I'm having an internal battle with myself about wind deflectors - do they look nice or do they look pathetic? The jury's out.

Hi Glimp,I did a simple mod on the courtesy light with leds,its so much better now,it will only work with the courtesy light,and with the unlock button on the keyfob,, great if you cant see your car!!  

I got the info from this guy.  https://rb.gy/3jsfn

IMG_20231002_211912985_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231002_211931667.jpg

IMG_20231002_212145443_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231002_213527175_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Ah yes - I saw that video and I've been contemplating  my own variation on the theme. However, I decided today to go for the cheap/easy option of a rechargeable dome light, attached magnetically inside the roof.

image.thumb.png.18c5f5054af3761491e2065dc2a387ab.png

Ebay Link

I'll try the cheap option - and if it's no good I'll go back to Plan A, which is to wire a second (LED) ceiling light into the existing (original) one. I'm looking at this one...

image.thumb.png.fd83a17d2a771f137a6e6dfd8fee5b49.png

Ebay Link - Click here

Just change the dome light to led, that will be enough, not difficult to do. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, glimp said:

Ah yes - I saw that video and I've been contemplating  my own variation on the theme. However, I decided today to go for the cheap/easy option of a rechargeable dome light, attached magnetically inside the roof.

image.thumb.png.18c5f5054af3761491e2065dc2a387ab.png

Ebay Link

I'll try the cheap option - and if it's no good I'll go back to Plan A, which is to wire a second (LED) ceiling light into the existing (original) one. I'm looking at this one...

image.thumb.png.fd83a17d2a771f137a6e6dfd8fee5b49.png

Ebay Link - Click here

Good luck with thatI used to have a torch in the drivers side door pocket!!!

Wind deflectors are also on my list as its a ,de-spray in your face at 70mph if you slightly wind down the window!!im going to get genuine,Ive also got some genuine front mud flaps,a big difference from having a big dirty puddle splash along the side of the car,i made a mistake and brought 2 ,I still have a set in origional pack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Hi Mojo,the origional dome led is difficult to modify,I remember a guy some years ago on here called David that did mods on the origional dome,but to change to a new dome it will have to be switched,so a bit more wiring involved!!!

4 minutes ago, Jikky said:

Hi Mojo,the origional dome led is difficult to modify,I remember a guy some years ago on here called David that did mods on the origional dome,but to change to a new dome it will have to be switched,so a bit more wiring involved!!!

Tarquin (David)

• Like 1

I replaced the original LED for a 12v 3W  mini downlight LED like this one.

Only used the LED, wiring and voltage regulator (white box). The black light is screwed together so easy to take apart. Finally some glue and soldering to make it fit.

But if you take the original LED, LED holder and the clear lens out ofr the original dome light it will fit complete also.

ledminidownlight.thumb.jpg.cf1e3a250146f15c3763e598d768caea.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrav said:

Only used the LED, wiring and voltage regulator (white box). The black light is screwed together so easy to take apart. Finally some glue and soldering to make it fit.

But if you take the original LED, LED holder and the clear lens out ofr the original dome light it will fit complete also.

Thats a great idea thank you

• Like 3

On 10/2/2023 at 11:04 PM, Mojo1010 said:

Not difficult for you, maybe! I am a complete bozo with electrical wiring. I'd need a step-by-step guide, or I'd blow something up.

Anyone care to tell me how to do it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dutchrav said:

Where did you buy this, please? Or, what are the specifications?

• Like 2

I have used this one. Version 3W, 12v, 4000K  :
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005005885736295.html

The main idea came from a German forum for IQ where someone used a 12v G4 LED light.
http://www.iq-board.de/iq-ausstattung/innenbeleuchtung-t229-160.html

I try to make some pics to make things more clear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dutchrav said:

I have used this one. Version 3W, 12v, 4000K  :
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005005885736295.html

The main idea came from a German forum for IQ where someone used a 12v G4 LED light.
http://www.iq-board.de/iq-ausstattung/innenbeleuchtung-t229-160.html

I try to make some pics to make things more clear.

Thank you - I tried to find the light, but failed. I could only find big ones for a lot of money!

That is perfect. Pictures would be very welcomed, but please don't feel you have to.

Also, thank you for the link to the German forum - it's excellent.

I cant make a full howto because do not have a original dome light... 

Anyway, this is the breakdown of the Aliexpress downlight.

IMG_7786-2.thumb.jpg.9213f66f3fcc20dd762b5dc076927113.jpg

All you need is the LED and the voltage controller. The white housing of voltage controller is very big so i took it out and put shrinktube over it. The LED can be glued with (hot)glue in place of the original LED holder. Mind the + and - on the side of the LED. The input of 12v to controller can be reversed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dutchrav said:

All you need is the LED and the voltage controller. The white housing of voltage controller is very big so i took it out and put shrinktube over it. The LED can be glued with (hot)glue in place of the original LED holder. Mind the + and - on the side of the LED. The input of 12v to controller can be reversed.

Thank you so much! Do you have a link to the voltage controller on AliExpress, or somewhere? Sorry to be so demanding, but I have no idea what to buy!

The voltage controller - the white box - is included with the downlight.
Just order a 3w, 12V, no dimming downlight and you receive it as pictured.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dutchrav said:

The voltage controller - the white box - is included with the downlight.
Just order a 3w, 12V, no dimming downlight and you receive it as pictured.

Thanks again! I'll buy you a drink if we ever meet!

• Like 2

🍻 on the domelight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dutchrav said:

🍻 on the domelight!

I just bought the LED from AliExpress. Now we wait...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dutchrav said:

What's the use of the voltage controller? Isn't it a 12Vdc LED?

• Like 2

Correct, it is not a 12v LED

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrav said:

Correct, it is not a 12v LED

Ah - I bought the 12Vdc LED (it was one of the options on the AliExpress website. Hope I haven't bought the wrong bulb.

On 10/5/2023 at 9:12 PM, glimp said:

Not difficult for you, maybe! I am a complete bozo with electrical wiring. I'd need a step-by-step guide, or I'd blow something up.

Anyone care to tell me how to do it?

Would not popping the cover off and replacing the bulb with an LED bulb not work? Is is the light some weird sealed thing that needs replacing when it goes bang.

I did all the bulbs in my Corolla, literally takes 45 seconds to do all 7.

Whether I'm happy they're blue when they're supposed to be white is another thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

Would not popping the cover off and replacing the bulb with an LED bulb not work? Is is the light some weird sealed thing that needs replacing when it goes bang.

I did all the bulbs in my Corolla, literally takes 45 seconds to do all 7.

Whether I'm happy they're blue when they're supposed to be white is another thing.

I think the light source is already an LED, so it's not as simple as just swapping bulbs.

My haha was for your white/blue comment.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, glimp said:

I think the light source is already an LED, so it's not as simple as just swapping bulbs.

My haha was for your white/blue comment.

Ah, not such a simple job then!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links