Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12V flat battery for 2016 auris.Car won’t start.

Sn123

My 2016 Auris hybrid just won’t start. The error on the screen says “12 V Battery low. Apply parking brake, read owners manual.”. By the time I found and read the owners’ manual, Battery died.  The manual says to jump start the car. 

Has this happened to people on here? I assume I’ll need a new Battery

Never expected a well serviced Toyota to die on me like this. The car is under warranty and was serviced in April. Trust shaken. 

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0093.jpeg

• Like 1

is the Battery the original Battery? If so 7 years is within the average lifespan of a 12v Battery. It is a consumable part subject to wear - do not let this shake your trust. 

• Like 7

thanks for the reply. 

Yes. Original Battery from 2016.

There has to be a better warning system than the car just not starting all of a sudden after throwing an error message . Toyota dealership have a put a 100 pound diagnostic charge on this plus recovery to the garage. Hopefully the warranty covers the Battery costs. 

• Like 1

Can’t even get into the car now. Doors won’t open. Can’t open the Bonnet. Absolute nightmare. Toyota dealerships are so unhelpful in times of crisis. 

• Sad 1

There is a manual key on the remote fob, use it to manually open the door. Then use jump start pack or buy one or a smart charger to recharge the Battery overnight. 

When I sold my Yaris hybrid it was 7 yr 2 months, no issue with Battery. It all depends on usage. Tonyhsd's auris is about 11-12 years old? On original Battery

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sn123 said:

thanks for the reply. 

Yes. Original battery from 2016.

There has to be a better warning system than the car just not starting all of a sudden after throwing an error message . Toyota dealership have a put a 100 pound diagnostic charge on this plus recovery to the garage. Hopefully the warranty covers the battery costs. 

You be better off puting the £100 pound towards a new Battery.

• Like 5

Discovering that it really pays to know about cars. Grew up in a car-less house so know very little and do the dealership exploit that!  The 10 year Toyota warranty does not apply to batteries. 

Asked AA to help out with a jump start and a Battery replacement. They’ve suggested a Bosch S4019 Battery 055 with a 5 year warranty with fitting which comes to about 160 quid.

Do you think a diagnostic test for 100 pounds is necessary after replacing the 12v Battery

The whole point of owning a Toyota was that I don’t have to worry about many car troubles. 

thank you all for your responses. They’ve been extremely helpful.

• Like 2

When the car is working normal again after replacement Battery, of course no need to waste money for check. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The price for a Toyota dealer supplied 12v Battery is £154.02, unfitted.  That would be a higher spec than the Bosch Battery you've referenced, which is available from motor factors for a good deal less than the AA price, but then you have no car currently, and no one to fit it!

Not all Toyota dealers hold stock, delivery to a Toyota dealer is 2 days, as I understand it, so Tuesday if you ordered today.

The Toyota price for the specific Battery recommended by Toyota for your Auris, is competitive - it's an expensive battery, even though it's not very big.  eBay prices for the Yuasa battery that Toyota supply, for instance, are usually higher.

Just out of interest, what area of Herts are you in?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Best way is to buy a new Battery from the dealer all fitted. They will run all necessary checks which are simple voltage test on the Battery when the car is off and when the car is on to make sure all works as it should. No need to pay any extra for diagnostic. 
You will get some warranty on the new Battery perhaps, but best to talk to them about that. 
Good luck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I need to buy a lead acid Battery I always use Tayna batteries.

Their prices are good and they are fast for delivery, always within 24 hours in my case, warranty is good though I have never needed it for replacements, just for problems that they have sorted by email and they are cheap.

I have probably used them twenty or so times in almost twenty years and never had a bad one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gerg said:

ust out of interest, what area of Herts are you in?

North herts.

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Best way is to buy a new battery from the dealer all fitted. They will run all necessary checks which are simple voltage test on the battery when the car is off and when the car is on to make sure all works as it should. No need to pay any extra for diagnostic. 
You will get some warranty on the new battery perhaps, but best to talk to them about that. 
Good luck 

The AA Bosch Battery came with a 5 year warranty. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sn123 said:
On 10/13/2023 at 10:28 AM, Gerg said:

ust out of interest, what area of Herts are you in?

North herts.

The reason for enquiring was, I live just over the county border in Bedfordshire.  If you weren't getting closer to getting your car running (unlikely after this length of time), then I'm often in the Hitchin/Letchworth area, and could've helped get your car started, if that's where you are!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:01 PM, Sn123 said:

The whole point of owning a Toyota was that I don’t have to worry about many car troubles. 

I think you're slightly over-reacting here.

I owned an Avensis for 14 years, and even then the Battery needed changing after a certain amount of years.

That's just a normal thing for cars, and once you've got it changed you'll be good to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gerg said:

The reason for enquiring was, I live just over the county border in Bedfordshire.  If you weren't getting closer to getting your car running (unlikely after this length of time), then I'm often in the Hitchin/Letchworth area, and could've helped get your car started, if that's where you are!

That’s very kind. I’ve learnt that this is routine wear and tear and not something out of the ordinary. Panic set in when the car wouldn’t start. AA helped me out and it was all sorted. 

A bit odd that there was no sensor for this with all the tech around. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 2:10 PM, Mjolinor said:

If I need to buy a lead acid battery I always use Tayna batteries.

Their prices are good and they are fast for delivery, always within 24 hours in my case, warranty is good though I have never needed it for replacements, just for problems that they have sorted by email and they are cheap.

I have probably used them twenty or so times in almost twenty years and never had a bad one.

Good to know. I just bought it from AA. Cost of not knowing anything about cars. Also learnt that they source it from Euro Car Parts. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links