Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AWD vs FWD

BZ4X1

I have driven both and can’t decide on which model to buy I thought that the FWD would be best but not sure?

It’s down to personal preference.  FWD has a better range.  AWD can power the rear wheels if needed.  Mine is AWD and the new one in Mar 24 will also be AWD.  The daughter has also ordered an AWD for Mar 24 to replace her FWD, having had issues in moving off in snowy/icy conditions.

• Like 1

It really comes down to whether AWD would ever be useful to you for extra traction; If you off-road or need winter tyres then AWD may be useful. For me, AWD would just be extra dead weight, as much as I like the idea of AWD.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BZ4X1 said:

I have driven both and can’t decide on which model to buy I thought that the FWD would be best but not sure?

So, what part of Scotland do you live in that doesn't have hills, cold, wet roads, snow or ice? 😉

Even in warm, wet Wales I'd go for AWD and insist on All Season tyres. But as above, it really depends on your mode of use - a road warrior may well benefit from the slightly greater range of the FWD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would go for the AWD, obviously gives better traction, but better balanced on the road 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 7:20 PM, BZ4X1 said:

I tested both.  If you want range, choose FWD.  If you want a better driving experience and safety in wet and icy weather, choose AWD. 

• Like 1

I have AWD & use off road for my job, i slipped off a very wet & muddy track & onto a field which had been cultivated & was lying in water - thought i would have to call the farmer to be pulled out (like I used to with my Landrover Discovery Sport), but i switch the XMode to deep mud & snow & to my surprise was able to drive the car back onto the track (This wouldn't have happened with the Discovery) - Very Very impressed with the AWD (Thanks Subaru)!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy BZ4x said:

I have AWD & use off road for my job, i slipped off a very wet & muddy track & onto a field which had been cultivated & was lying in water - thought i would have to call the farmer to be pulled out (like I used to with my Landrover Discovery Sport), but i switch the XMode to deep mud & snow & to my surprise was able to drive the car back onto the track (This wouldn't have happened with the Discovery) - Very Very impressed with the AWD (Thanks Subaru)!

It is Subarus technology the best awd expertise in the world. 

• Like 1

Many years ago I took my rav to  Toyota Stockport this has a very steep drive which it shares with the landrover dealer next door it was icy and a disco was struggling to get up it, I pulled alongside in my mk 1 3 door rav and asked if he needed a tow, he was not amused at all🫢

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andy BZ4x said:

Let me leave a nice photo here 😊

Screenshot_20231026_211056_Instagram.thumb.jpg.28d73cdf7bf1c641c8d0fce4f2cc230e.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links